Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 04:49 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuumbed View Post
I love new construction, bought one new home in 1995. I watched it be built, just the way I wanted it. The home was still like new when I sold it in 2005.

Growing up I loved the Amityville horror movie, also loved those quarter round windows that were in that home. I actually put those in my new home! They were in the master bedroom. Nonetheless, there was never anything weird in that home.

Although I like a new home, my current home is an existing one built in 1977. I bought it because it's on a really cool 5 acre mountain property with an amazing view of the whole Salt Lake Valley. The folks that built the home are deceased, but I have no idea if they passed in the home.

There was only one weird thing that happened in the home. The doorbell rang and made noise continuously like someone was holding the button at 6 AM one morning. I got out of bed, found no one outside and pulled the wire off the doorbell and went back to bed. A few weeks later I reconnected it and it was working fine. Then a few days later it happened again around 6 AM! I am not a moring person. I disconnected it again and never reconnected it since. I don't think it's haunted though, I think mice got in the wall and possibly chewed the wires causing a short which is the same as someone pushing the doorbell button, thus closing the circuit.

Wow, now this would make me think beyond mice, and I like to cover all the "what else could it be" scenarios first. What would be the chance of mice causing a short that ONLY goes off at a certain time? I don't mean to scare you, but reading that kind of made my hair stand on end!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 07:27 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Scary.... I lived in quite a new build house in the 90s... at that time it was about 20 years old with only one occupant before me... she was found dead by firemen in her bedroom when they had to hack down the door to get in.... When I took the house I only knew the woman had died and hoped it wasnt in the house.. so didnt ask, but her friend who lived in the next flat continued to tell me things about her , all nice things... and everything I bought new for the house she would say...OH Betty would have loved that carpet. or that new fireplace.. and seemed to resent me having her pals house to live in..... one thing after another started to happen.... I never felt at home and couldnt wait to change it all with new wallpaper and carpetting.. while rolling up a very heavy carpet from the living room we found a passport right in the middle of the floor... I said to my husband not to show me the photo if it was her and told him to throw it out... he looked at it then put it in the bin..... now this was a woman in her late 60s who lived alone.. how could she possibley have rolled up that heavy carpet which was down with hooks all round the skirtiing board.. it was heavy for me and my husband to roll up and why have it right in the centre of the carpet... as she went on holiday three times a year I was informed... anyway that passed but still I hated being in the house alone and had never felt that in older flats Id lived in before...
Then one night summer night about 6 so still bright and sunny my husband said he was going to the shops for cigarettes.. he closed the outside door and went down the two flights of stairs and I heard the automatic security door close... then the outside door of the flat started to vibrate as if someone was holding the handle and pulling it.... I called out to my husband as I thought hed forgotten money and came back.. but nothing.. then the vibration got stronger.. and I thought the wind had got up and ignored it.. but it got stronger so I went down the hall thinking the door was left open slightly to close it but it was closed and the noise had stopped.............now no kids lived near me and we have older neighbours that you hardly heard so I knew it wasnt a prank..... I sat down to read a magazine and the noise started again... a few mins later my husband put his key in the door and came in.... I looked up at him and said... A storm getting up then... I knew by his face though... He said its a lovely night look out the window at the trees..... he was right it was a lovely sunny night and no wind at all..... I told him what had happened and he just walked away... but told me later about other things that had happened... part 2 will follow.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:08 PM

145 posts, read 203,709 times
@ dizzybint Scary! Guess it just takes one bad happening regardless of age.

@ Tobiashen I might just have to reconnect that doorbell!

Old 01-21-2015, 05:06 PM

859 posts, read 704,987 times
Quote:
The man nearly committed suicide on the west side of the house opposite of
the garage and I could almost sense the negative energy there. I just wondered
if anyone agreed with me that some houses have a definite negative energy to
them even if they aren't really "haunted"?
I don't understand what do you mean of "Negative energy"? does it the same meaning with" negative feeling " ? or you meant another thing like you felt there is such entity or spirit there ?
I wonder if did this feeling come due to knowing the background of that house or not? I see It is a strong possibility.
I mean, I supposed I live in a house that had a negative background such as "committing suicide" but I don't know about its background. I don't have an idea at all.

does it the same feeling like " I live in such kind of houses and I know that there was a man committed suicide in that corner of the house ?
Did u understand what I mean?

I imagine the second one will be too hard. It could make me imagine things not real. Because actually Inside of my self I feel somewhat scare. I'd keep thinking in that story every time I went to that corner of the house.
That doesn't mean I deny a sense for people about houses or any thing else.
But to show you that it's very possible that this sense came from knowing the background of that home.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:18 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
Recently we lived in a house in the country that I swore had a negative energy. In the 6 years that we rented it, tragedy or loss happened constantly: illnesses, job losses, deaths, etc.

Just one thing after another to the point that we'd say, ''When something good happens something bad happens to take it away.''

The pattern seemed never ending.

The previous owner had been an older man who actually built this small house by hand and designed every interior feature for his ailing wife. She died before he finished the house and then he died right after it was finished, but he never lived in it. It sat empty for years before we rented it from their daughter.

I always felt like the old man was ''hanging around'', though not in a benign way. Never saw or heard an entity, just a feeling and then my eventual suspicion that there was a ''darkness'' there and if we somehow did not get out of that house we would succumb to it.

Well, as we were finally in our last week there and in the process of moving out, I believe the old man ''spoke his piece''. I was sitting in the den watching TV when all of a sudden a decorative shelf ''projected out of'' the wall to my right! All 4 nails pulled straight out and the shelf shot 3 feet out onto the carpet.

It was a clean pull and I believe was his way of saying ''get out!''.

Interestingly in the years we lived there the daughter only visited 3 times. She said she was not happy on the nearby farm as a child and did not like to visit there. She only came in the house for about ten minutes after driving 3 hours out there.

It was all pretty creepy.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 01-30-2015 at 10:53 PM..

Old 03-30-2015, 10:25 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,283 times
I was doing carpentry work while going to college. The rectory at the church I attended (rectory Is where the parish priests and the nuns who care for him/them live.) needed renovation.

This rectory housed a few priests while I went to grade school here. When I went on to a different school for high school, the grade school closed so it was ONLY a church. The rectory became a girls home (no idea where father and the nuns lived). I didn't know this then but came to know it when, during my last year of college, the girls home had been closed for a year and they wanted to upgrade this huge house and make it a rectory again.

The nuns and father lived there while we did the renovations.
I was going downstairs to dry wall as all the walls had been demo'd to redo electric and plumbing. The nuns REFUSED to go down there...and told me both of the parish priests would not go down there as well. When pressed for info they told me it made them physically ill, and that once it was renovated they were going to have the bishop bless it.

When I got married years later, the deacon told me about the girls home. There were a few suicides, many of the girls had had abortions before or while living there (apparently they were able to sneak out and party, it was a crappy girls home)...and even rapes...the nuns and priests believed it was haunted and eventually had the bishop bless it and perform an exorcism on the house, After that it was fine

The deacon (who was married, with kids) also told us the Bishop claimed there was a demonic presence in the house, something he had never experienced before, and was very hard to get rid of...the Bishop didn't know it until weeks later but he had a minor heart attack (based on damage to his heart found during an exam) and the bishop swears it happened while in that basement, although he cant pin point it...he would not tell the deacon details "for fear of reprisal"...deacon thinks he meant whatever he drove out might come back for revenge for talking about it...demons like doubt, don't leave too many facts behind proving they were there

When I worked in that basement, there was something off...I noticed it before the nuns refusal to go down there and after. I didn't like being down there by myself, but never saw anything. Just a really bad feeling. I also had bad nightmares until I was done with this job. Basically dreams of me walking around the school grounds and seeing dark figures out of the corner of my eyes, id turn to look and there would be nothing there...or felt something sneaking up behind me fast, id spin around to confront and there would be nothing there or I would wake up with a jump (like when u dream you are falling and wake up with a start before you land)...I worked on this house during the summer, but in my dreams it was cold, leaves falling all over the place, like late October.

Last edited by lucky2balive; 03-30-2015 at 10:34 AM..

Old 04-04-2015, 12:14 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
There was a guy who had a perpetual yard sale a couple towns over from where I used to live. He was paying for renos to his house by selling the junk...er...stuff he put out in front of the house. One time, my significant other at the time & I stopped. We started talking to the guy and he invited us into his house-can't remember the reason why. I have NEVER had such an uneasy feeling in a house before. Even though the guy & his wife were very nice and very hospitable, I was having trouble breathing in that house. I just felt something almost evil in it. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. When we left (which wasn't fast enough for me), I told my s.o. about the feeling I had. He said that he felt it, too. I said that I would NEVER go into that house again-and I haven't. No idea what it was and I didn't want to find out.

Another time was in our old house. We had a two-family house. At first we lived upstairs and rented out the downstairs. We then moved downstairs because it was bigger and rented out the upstairs. After having terrible tenants who never paid rent, we decided to just kick out the tenants and take over the entire house. When we first went up there after they moved out, I could really feel THEIR negative energy that they left behind. It wasn't there when we lived up there. So, I took a sage stick & smudged the place. Got rid of all that negativity they left behind.

Cat

Old 04-04-2015, 11:58 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
There was a guy who had a perpetual yard sale a couple towns over from where I used to live. He was paying for renos to his house by selling the junk...er...stuff he put out in front of the house. One time, my significant other at the time & I stopped. We started talking to the guy and he invited us into his house-can't remember the reason why. I have NEVER had such an uneasy feeling in a house before. Even though the guy & his wife were very nice and very hospitable, I was having trouble breathing in that house. I just felt something almost evil in it. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. When we left (which wasn't fast enough for me), I told my s.o. about the feeling I had. He said that he felt it, too. I said that I would NEVER go into that house again-and I haven't. No idea what it was and I didn't want to find out.

Another time was in our old house. We had a two-family house. At first we lived upstairs and rented out the downstairs. We then moved downstairs because it was bigger and rented out the upstairs. After having terrible tenants who never paid rent, we decided to just kick out the tenants and take over the entire house. When we first went up there after they moved out, I could really feel THEIR negative energy that they left behind. It wasn't there when we lived up there. So, I took a sage stick & smudged the place. Got rid of all that negativity they left behind.

Cat
ive had this happen a few times, showing houses, some very old houses, we are walking thru the rooms,,,i get all these freaky feelings, get very cold,,,i cant say a word about it,

but,,,i also made sure we all went in the basement and every room and closet....
just in case a spirit was trying to tell me something...while in the house

also,

while showing a house some kids went too, the parents told the kids to stay outside on the swingset,,, while in an upstairs room I look outside and the twin girls were walking away from the swingset....towards the woods. the mother hollers out the window, the girls keep walking,,the father and I bolt down the stairs, out the door and run for the kids
the father, now screaming at the girls, they are at the edge of the woods, they stopped....
we ran up behind them, they both pointed in the woods and said Vicky told them to follow her ,,,

the father ran into the woods, nothing....

they didn't like the house....

when I called the listing broker, I told him the story, he just said ...ok
a few weeks later I saw the listing broker at a workshop, he took me aside, and said he passed that along to the home owner,,,,and they were really taken aback,,,and questioned the name ...Vicky

he said a girl named Victoria fell down and died in an old abandoned well in the woods..many years ago..

Old 07-16-2015, 02:07 PM

638 posts, read 2,242,915 times
I think places can certainly have bad vibes and not necessarily be haunted. I moved into an apartment once and it just had this funk about it. It had a very heavy and hopeless feeling about it and I always felt like someone or something was watching me. My cat also seemed to go crazy after I moved in. Nothing particularly alarming ever happened when I was there but I only lived there for a year. I moved into a more comfortable place and all was back to normal. Even my cat was a lot more chilled out and relaxed.

The guy who lived upstairs said that there was a couple who used to live there and they fought a lot and the police were there a few times. That might have something to do with it. Its possible they left some bad vibes in the place.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:35 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
When I was much younger I lived upstate NY and would bicycle everywhere.

There was this one house (set back probably 200' from the road), every time I went past it I felt a shiver and the feeling of dread.

House wasn't creepy looking but there was something about it that scared me every single time I went past it in either direction...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal