U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:20 AM

6,430 posts, read 4,430,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
A black panther sighting does not seem strange to me. When 'panther' is used, people think exotic and not of the US. However, the Mountain Lion of the US is also called panther in flat land states (ie Florida Panther). It would be rare, but totally natural for a genetic throwback for one to be born black.
Where I live, big cats are somewhat common in backyards. And it's a semi-rural area.

When we were living out in wild country, my daughter, brother in law and our big dog sighted something large, and fast....running on two legs. As the crow flies, we were about 15 miles from Willow Creek which is California's Big Foot 'HQ'....you can find the details of the sighting in the Bigfoot discussion found in this forum.

I think that it is totally possible that there are things on this planet that we have yet to discover. I know that many documented animals that are considered 'died off' are being seen again.
I think you are wrong on the Genetics part. Not possible. The Black Cats people see are Jaguars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 06:33 PM

579 posts, read 354,471 times
Well maybe. But black cat sightings are reported all over the U.S. and the U.K. Jaguars are only in Southern Arizona and Mexico. Keep in mind many of these sightings are in daylight in the open. What are they seeing? I don't know, but they all can't be mistaking big black dogs or lynxes for what is almost always reported as looking like a black panther.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:19 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,534,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I think you are wrong on the Genetics part. Not possible. The Black Cats people see are Jaguars.
I was not talking about the typical black panther that is just as you say, a black jaguar, and those are a panther.
However, when I mentioned panther, I put it in quotation marks and made mention of the Florida panther, which is a misnomer, the Florida panther is a Puma.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
Well maybe. But black cat sightings are reported all over the U.S. and the U.K. Jaguars are only in Southern Arizona and Mexico. Keep in mind many of these sightings are in daylight in the open. What are they seeing? I don't know, but they all can't be mistaking big black dogs or lynxes for what is almost always reported as looking like a black panther.
It is mostly thought they are only in the SW. They are seeing Jaguars. imo

Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
I regularly, usually once every weekend, go on walks in the small section of woods in my backyard/housing area. It's not big by a longshot, but I wouldn't necesarrily call it small either (Seen countless deer, a bobcat, and a whole bunch of other critters out there), but anyway back to what I was saying. Since I'm a teen, I have friends over all the time, and we go outside in the woods regularly ont the weekends, but usually never hear anything too suspicious. We usually use our reasoning and think of something logical to counter what we heard. This past weekend, it was just me and another friend, and there was something bigger out there than usual. We could hear it 'stomping' around almost in like a semi circle around us while we were walking, and it occasionally made a very low pitched moaning type sound, but not very loud. (nothing sounded this big here, the deer are too soft-footed, and all the small cats don't make any noise) It was extremely nerve wracking, and we honestly didn't know what to do, so we started walking forwards/sideways to get out of the woods. Eventually we got out, but not without being scared half to death. It was a mad dash back to my house after that, not looking back for anything.

We discussed it when we were back to 'safety' as to what it could've possibly been and we just couldn't think of anything rational. Can't stop imagining that awful sound, it gives me chills whenever i think about it. Does anyone have any idea as to what it might be? (I live in kansas, suburbs of kansas city, pretty far out, though)
Either someone messing with you or a Bigfoot possibly. I live near you also.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,921,930 times
Black mountain lions do occur, but they're much rarer than black jaguars.

Not sure about in the US though I'd like Bigfoot to be real.

I think we will find out that orang-pendaks are real and probably the same species as the Flores hobbits whose bones have been discovered in the last few years.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Black mountain lions do occur, but they're much rarer than black jaguars.

Not sure about in the US though I'd like Bigfoot to be real.

I think we will find out that orang-pendaks are real and probably the same species as the Flores hobbits whose bones have been discovered in the last few years.
I disagree:

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/160.pdf

Mountain Lion (Puma concolor)

Is a black panther related to the mountain lion? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

Old 11-05-2012, 05:47 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,921,930 times
Melanism is a fairly common mutation (though usually not as common as albinism the obvious exception given the topic at hand being jaguars). Based on a show I saw on Discovery or another similar network several years ago on this very topic the occurance of melanism in mountain lions was estimated to be 1 in 200000 individuals. That's pretty good odds for a random mutation if I understand such things, but I'm guessing the mountain lion world population is small enough that at any given time the odds are in favor of there not being a living melanistic individual.

It is possible, but it is exceedingly rare. At any rate there's no reason a government agency would go into that much detail. They don't want the public to worry about potential man-eaters roaming most of the states which is why most states deny even having any wild mountain lions in their state lines.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:09 PM

364 posts, read 942,448 times
I served as chief of police in a Cape Cod town located at the Outer Cape (most of the land here is owned by the Federal government and is referred to as the National Seashore). During the mid-1990s I was told by three independent witnesses (solid citizens) that they saw a panther or mountain lion in town. One witness (a plumber by trade) saw the animal on two occasions, once for a long period of time up a tree with a dead deer lying at the base of the tree. The second witness (a CPA) saw the animal run across a road and the third witness (who happened to be my wife) saw the back portion of the animal when she was coming home from an early morning ambulance run (she was an EMT and firefighter in the fire department).

No idea where it came from. Someone’s pet that got away? Not a clue.

Anyway, I suspect it’s probably dead by now.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:25 PM

108 posts, read 108,215 times
Question Sasquash exists!?

While staying in a motel in Yreka, CA in Siskiyou County, (heart of Big Foot country) a group of guests got together for a BBQ. Among the group were some loggers. They told us a tale that set my hair on end!
They had been logging way back in the Siskiyou National Forest in a very remote area in Northern California, close to the Oregon border. By day they made all kinds of chain saw and heavy equipment racket at the logging site and each night they returned to camp. One day they returned to find their equipment, huge log haulers and such, had been vandalized. Windows were broken, smashed gauges, dents, etc. There were huge, deep footprints around the equipment in the damp earth but no tire tracks other then those of their heavy equipment were to be found. Nor were any fresh human sized footprints other then their own in evidence. They thoroughly searched the area for any sign of the vandals but found only broken twigs, a bit of furry hair on a tree branch and more giant footprints leading off into the woods. Because of the rugged, remote terrain and extent of damage, they were sure no human could have done the deed. They were all convinced that it was Big Foot that did the damage and they were all positive that Big Foot exists. They also said this was not the first time they've had encounters with the hairy creature. They reported hearing tree knocking in the woods on occasion. They've heard howling screams and have had rocks and twigs chucked at them in the past. They believe that Sasquatch doesn't like them logging the forest, doesn't like the racket and the loss of tree cover. One thing all four of them had in common was a firm belief that Big Foot exists. I would have thought they were pulling my leg but their conviction that Big Foot roams the Siskiyous was so overpowering that if it were a tall tale, they all gave an academy award winning performance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal