U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 03:07 AM

1,309 posts, read 803,026 times
Default Waking up at 4am

Hi All,

I'm not one to normally entertain the idea of any sort of spiritual activity (quite frankly, have never felt it and never experienced it). However, since my stepmother passed almost a month ago today of a very untimely death (47, cancer), I have been waking up without fail around 4-4:15am, regardless of day of the week or what time I go to sleep. I have a hard time going back to sleep once awakened, so this has really caused me a lot of tiredness during the day.

I've done some google searches and it seems to be around a "spiritual hour", however I get mixed reviews of good and bad spirits. Some says this is an angel sending me a message, others say this is a common hour to die. FYI, my stepmother passed at around 3 in the afternoon, which I have heard is God's hour.

I've never been much of a proponent of God, but now I'm starting to think my stepmother is trying to send me a message in her own way. She was somewhat religious during her sickness, but I haven't been in years. I also know waking up at early hours signifies depression or grief which I've also been feeling. It's very unlike my stepmother (I believe) to send any sort of signs other than small ones, if that. She was a woman of peace and I think she was not afraid of dying, therefore ready to leave the world if there is such a choice.

I feel strange asking this opinion, however feel silly asking anyone else about it. It's scaring me that it might be the "witching hour"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 03:18 AM

13,949 posts, read 8,065,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Hi All,

I'm not one to normally entertain the idea of any sort of spiritual activity (quite frankly, have never felt it and never experienced it). However, since my stepmother passed almost a month ago today of a very untimely death (47, cancer), I have been waking up without fail around 4-4:15am, regardless of day of the week or what time I go to sleep. I have a hard time going back to sleep once awakened, so this has really caused me a lot of tiredness during the day.

I've done some google searches and it seems to be around a "spiritual hour", however I get mixed reviews of good and bad spirits. Some says this is an angel sending me a message, others say this is a common hour to die. FYI, my stepmother passed at around 3 in the afternoon, which I have heard is God's hour.

I've never been much of a proponent of God, but now I'm starting to think my stepmother is trying to send me a message in her own way. She was somewhat religious during her sickness, but I haven't been in years. I also know waking up at early hours signifies depression or grief which I've also been feeling. It's very unlike my stepmother (I believe) to send any sort of signs other than small ones, if that. She was a woman of peace and I think she was not afraid of dying, therefore ready to leave the world if there is such a choice.

I feel strange asking this opinion, however feel silly asking anyone else about it. It's scaring me that it might be the "witching hour"!
We don't keep specific hours and people die every hour of the day there is no specific time frame for God's hours either, he doesn't do a 9 -5. It is more likely that you woke at this time of day while your Step Mother was ill and shortly after she passed and it has now become part of the grief you are feeling. Other times our bodies natural clock does reset from time to time and you will get back to your normal time to wake soon.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:09 AM

6,726 posts, read 7,291,820 times
Quote:
Hi All,

That's your answer. For years I awoke or opened my eyes at 3:33 or 4:44 AM. I found it rather disturbing until my nephew told me of a study about sleep disturbances. It seems that out brain will wake us at the correct time, the witching hour, once it gets in the habit of doing so. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,196,267 times
When the days were longer I stayed up later but woke after 5-7 hrs. sleep. Now that the days are getting shorter I tend to go to bed earlier but end up waking between 2-3 AM after 3-5 hrs. or so of sleep. Fortunately, I'm able to fall back to sleep until my normal 5-7 AM wake-up time.

I don't consider 2-3 AM any sort of "witching hour"; it's my body adjusting to a different sleep pattern.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 AM

4,487 posts, read 2,168,941 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Never feel silly at the need to ask a question.

Lots of us wake up at a specific time. I wake up at 5:30 every morning, no alarm clock. I have a friend in a different time zone who texts me almost every morning at that time, it's become a conditioned response, text or no text.

That reminds me, I really need to that man!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 AM

1,559 posts, read 602,530 times
You're not alone - I always wake up between 2-4pm. Most of the time I will fall back asleep, but sometimes I do toss and turn. I will confess I don't like the hours of 2-5am at night. Maybe it's all the ghostly books and movies I've watched and read, plus my own experiences. I don't know if it's tied to your stepmom (my condolences btw, sorry to hear that!) but I can't completely rule it out. For my own reasons, I just try to not look at the clock and fall back asleep.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:16 PM

67 posts, read 39,786 times
A few years ago for about two months I would wake up like clockwork around 5am for no apparent reason. I am a late riser and at the time I did not have to wake up for my day until 7am.

I agree there is something spooky about the early morning hours like 2 - 4 am. In Chinese superstition, these are the hours when the spirits are most active and that people "come" and "go" (give birth and pass away) in those hours more than any other time of day (it would be nice if there was some scientific survey done on this matter!).

Old 10-02-2012, 05:55 PM

1,559 posts, read 602,530 times
^^ I knew there was something odd about those hours!

My brother and his wife used to live in my grandparents house which is haunted..it's pretty well known in my family and we have lots of stories to share. I used to DREAD waking up between 2-5am there because I'd be staying in my nephew's room, and there's been some wierd stuff that has happened there, particularly in the closet. I would lie there saying to myself "go back to sleep go back to sleep" and pray to GOD I didn't hear that awful squeaking of the closet door or what the heck was moving around inside. Anyways, didn't mean to hijack the thread...

Old 10-02-2012, 06:34 PM

11,995 posts, read 11,328,821 times
Between the hours of 3-4 AM spirit presence is said to be the strongest. I'm not sure how that originated, or where the term "Witching Hour" came from. They make their presence known when they want.

I'm familiar with a "Witching Hour" in my household growing up, it occurred every day at 5PM, some refer to it as Happy Hour.

I read those numbers are also associated with number phenomonon, Angel presence or messages. You can Google to find out specific meanings.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM

8,297 posts, read 2,522,686 times
Early morning waking and being unable to go back to sleep can be a sign of depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal