Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 04:44 AM

6,901 posts, read 6,805,905 times

Advertisements

I think you have to understand the mechanics of the universe we live in to understand the 'paranormal'.

Once that is understood, less things seem to be NOT normal. There are people who like science and proof and cannot accept (yet) other models of the universe other than the one we are taught at school/university. I feel that this model of the universe is flawed, but that is only a feeling and not a science-proved 'fact'.

We are dealing with beliefs in paranormal since we cannot measure much of this stuff yet. That means that you will have to get yourself a model of how you believe the universe hangs together which explains most of what you read and then add bits to that belief system as you go.These forums posts are a collection of experiences and beliefs which you have to accept or reject as the truth for you. No-one can tell you what your truth is and you cannot tell others what their truth is for them.

There are snippits of truth everywhere spanning from science to religion and so what you are asking in this thread is for our beliefs which will not be yours when you have found them. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 03:00 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,772,002 times
In regard to the OP's questions, I'll just sum up this:

Frankly, I wouldn't be scared. I think the main thing a lot of people don't know when they are just exploring this realm is that you actually have a LOT of control over this.

You have to be firm, and YOU set the guidelines. For instance, I had a "spirit" who bothered me for 3 days straight (he was first in my home and then followed me to work) and wanted me to contact someone in the vicinity of where I worked, only I was in a confidential position and did not want to lose my job. Thus, I refused. But this guy was persistent. Each time I'd close my eyes, he'd appear and say "I want to talk to ...." and would give me the name. Finally, I was so annoyed that I just plain told him, "Look, I'm NOT going to go and find so and so because I don't know them, except by sight, and I am not about to lose my job. So, if YOU want me to talk to them, then YOU have to find a way on your side to arrange it because I'm not leaving a voicemail, a note, a phone call, or anything. That's it. Either you find the way, or it's not happening." I was quite annoyed and firm.

Well, the next morning....what do you know, in this vast county parking lot, that individual (whom I had seen but never spoken to) was parking right next to me! So, I figured, "Okay, he did it -- he set it up." I went and chit-chatted a little with this person next to me, and finally weaved the conversation into philosophy and metaphysics and when I knew he was open, I told him, "I have a message for you." And that was over 16 years ago and I am now good friends with that individual to whom I delivered the message.

My point is, we are here on "this side," they are there on "that side." You get to have the control over here. Most spirits don't hang out for long periods of time. I think it is just not physically/energy-wise, whatever, possible to maintain contact for long. So, you just set the terms. I am very firm and I'm not afraid.

As for where and when they appear -- it doesn't seem to matter. I suppose there are "haunted houses" but I've had experiences most places I've lived, so I'm not sure it really matters. I think that if one is sensitive enough, then it can happen anyplace. But the trick is to be firm, you set the rules, and you get to say if they can be there or not. Many people I talk to about this are afraid. Being afraid does not give you control. So, stand up, make the rules and don't be afraid.

Until we can find technology that can actually allow us to communicate more efficiently with "them," it is up to us to "talk" to them and set the rules. It's like dealing with a little kid -- you're the parent.

I think that someday we will end up paying thousands of dollars to make a phone call for 30 seconds to our loved ones "over there." I really do! Maybe not in our lifetime, but I bet technology will advance enough that it could be possible. And you can be sure that the phone companies will charge a pretty penny to make that call! So, if you're sensitive enough to "feel" or "see" or "hear" them, just consider the amount of money you're saving by using yourself to communicate! See, in that way it's worth it! lol

Old 12-19-2012, 03:28 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,638,752 times
Wisteria- that whole post is full of awesome. And so true- do not fear!
As goes communication with devices- I saw an obscure show about life after death, wish I could recall the title (found it on Netflix if anyone is interested). There was a guy in Italy that spirits would speak 'through him' via his radio. This was not just a one sided conversation either. People could ask questions and get replies.
Really amazing. The radio/guy was tested as well to make sure there was no funny business going on. The communication would happen when the power was off and when the tube was pulled.
So it may just happen in our lifetime.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:20 PM

112 posts, read 176,966 times
Apparently you didn't take my earlier suggestion, so here goes, point by point:
Spirits can be active 24/7, there is no hard and fast rule that governs such activity.
No, not all spirits are nice, some can be dangerous, will seek out humans to do harm to them.
Why houses, why castles, battlefields, ships, etc. lots of guesses but frankly, I think that is what rhey are, guesses.
Indoors or outdoors? No idea why, I can guess but I can't prove what I speculate on.
Locations in a home to "hang out in"?Simply because it pleases them and they usually move around unless they have been "grounded" to a certain location.
Not everybody comes back as a "ghost".
Why can dog see ghosts, darn good question, my two can see what is about here and I can't.Maybe theconstruction of their eyes but don't think it has anything to do with the supernatural or paranormal.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,365 times
Question Can anyone tell me what this could possibly be if anything?

I have a question about something i experienced that ive never heard of before. I still sometimes wonder if it happened the way i remember it ir if i was maybe mistaken but then i resolve without question that this happened. Im not a crazy person or some wierdo. In fact im a 37 year old mother of 3 who is very open to the spiritual world. Ive always been drawn to stories of spirits (having seen a few as a young girl), psychics, mediums, ghosts, ect. But a few months ago, as i was cleaning the house, I walked into my bathroom and was checking myself in the huge mirror that was hanging above the sink(and took up the entire length of the wall) when suddenly i heard a noise that sounded as if the wall was taking a deep breath in and the wall/mirror expanded to the point that i quickly stepped to avoid the mirror exploding in my face because it was convex! I know this sounds crazy but the wall/mirror didnt look "solid" it appeared to have a rippled look to it. Kind of like what you see in ghost or time-travel movies when someone steps back thru time and the area they walked out of looks like its water ripples? Thats the way it looked then there was a strange sound i cant describe and the wall goes back down to normal . When it did that i could hear it "exhale" for lack of a better word, and then the medicine cabinet that was located on the adjoining wall, inches from the mirror, it opened. That cabinet was closed. It has a magnetic lock to keep it closed and when it opened i heard the cabinet being pulled from the magnet keeping it shut, That cabinet never opened by itself because it was always shut back and the apartment was level so it was a force of somekind that made it open on its own but What?? Now during this short event i rubbed my eyes to make sure i didnt have something in them, i wondered if i stood up to fast and got a head rush, but i felt normal. Everything was fine and if the medicine cabinet hadnt opened i would probably doubt myself or convince myself that i didnt just see my mirror expand to the point that the mirror looked like it was being bent in half, but i did and i felt no rush of cold air, nothing wierd happened after that or before so....ever heard of something like that before????

Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,047,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

I think that someday we will end up paying thousands of dollars to make a phone call for 30 seconds to our loved ones "over there." I really do! Maybe not in our lifetime, but I bet technology will advance enough that it could be possible. And you can be sure that the phone companies will charge a pretty penny to make that call! So, if you're sensitive enough to "feel" or "see" or "hear" them, just consider the amount of money you're saving by using yourself to communicate! See, in that way it's worth it! lol
Have you read "The Face" by Dean Koontz? I'm not going to spoil it for anybody, but someone with your beliefs would dig it. I did.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:59 AM

6,901 posts, read 6,805,905 times
Mirrors have long been associated with portals to other worlds.

Problem is that we as humans have lost a lot of the instincts and senses we had originally which allowed us to be part of those other worlds. Now, when these other worlds interact with us, we are frightened or weirded-out by the experience.

Our mind is like a huge receiving station for different frequencies and we have to learn to tune ourselves to be able to receive these frequencies and let them be interpreted by our minds as visuals or audio or feelings (kinesthetics ?). This is all that mediums are - people who have learnt to do this.

Once we are able to do this we will no longer have doubts that we belong to a much larger community of beings than we currently think we do.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 AM

70 posts, read 106,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Here's one for you that's a very clear example of what you are talking about. Yesterday, hubs made a pot of coffee late, and I wasn't paying attention to the time and drank a large cup. I was UP till 5 AM..... NOT fun.

Anyhow -- early evening, the front door was open and in our very active urban area with tiny yards we're practically on the street. The volume was at 40 on the TV and we could hear it fine. At 11:30 I closed the front door and turned the tv down to 35.... had a little problem hearing, flicked it up a couple.

At one I went to bed -- smaller tv had the volume set at 40. Still plenty of stuff happening outside, but it's getting calmer. Tried to sleep.... couldn't, turned the tv back on. 2:30 -- tv seemed loud, took it to 25.

At 4AM -- it was FINALLY quiet enough in the neighborhood that I could turn the TV down to 10 and still hear it.

Woke up at 9 to feed the beasts....

Because we're USED to all the surrounding noise we don't hear it anymore. The thing that I remember MOST about September 11? The quiet and still. I live surrounded by airports, overhead air traffic ALL the time..... and when all the planes were grounded it was SILENT.

I too live under a very active air traffic highway and i too remember the silence my mother was in the air force for 20 years which is prob why i took such notice of it... RIP fallen Heros.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
In regard to the OP's questions, I'll just sum up this:

Frankly, I wouldn't be scared. I think the main thing a lot of people don't know when they are just exploring this realm is that you actually have a LOT of control over this.

You have to be firm, and YOU set the guidelines. For instance, I had a "spirit" who bothered me for 3 days straight (he was first in my home and then followed me to work) and wanted me to contact someone in the vicinity of where I worked, only I was in a confidential position and did not want to lose my job. Thus, I refused. But this guy was persistent. Each time I'd close my eyes, he'd appear and say "I want to talk to ...." and would give me the name. Finally, I was so annoyed that I just plain told him, "Look, I'm NOT going to go and find so and so because I don't know them, except by sight, and I am not about to lose my job. So, if YOU want me to talk to them, then YOU have to find a way on your side to arrange it because I'm not leaving a voicemail, a note, a phone call, or anything. That's it. Either you find the way, or it's not happening." I was quite annoyed and firm.

Well, the next morning....what do you know, in this vast county parking lot, that individual (whom I had seen but never spoken to) was parking right next to me! So, I figured, "Okay, he did it -- he set it up." I went and chit-chatted a little with this person next to me, and finally weaved the conversation into philosophy and metaphysics and when I knew he was open, I told him, "I have a message for you." And that was over 16 years ago and I am now good friends with that individual to whom I delivered the message.

My point is, we are here on "this side," they are there on "that side." You get to have the control over here. Most spirits don't hang out for long periods of time. I think it is just not physically/energy-wise, whatever, possible to maintain contact for long. So, you just set the terms. I am very firm and I'm not afraid.

As for where and when they appear -- it doesn't seem to matter. I suppose there are "haunted houses" but I've had experiences most places I've lived, so I'm not sure it really matters. I think that if one is sensitive enough, then it can happen anyplace. But the trick is to be firm, you set the rules, and you get to say if they can be there or not. Many people I talk to about this are afraid. Being afraid does not give you control. So, stand up, make the rules and don't be afraid.

Until we can find technology that can actually allow us to communicate more efficiently with "them," it is up to us to "talk" to them and set the rules. It's like dealing with a little kid -- you're the parent.

pertaining to your comment on a better technology used for communications, there have been many breaktroughs in the paranormal research field with technologies used for direct communications my favorite being the SB7 aka "Spirit Box" which scans am and fm radio freqs at tenth of a second or slower this gets rid of any possible full length sentences of even words, spirits than speak through the "White Noise" sometimes with amazing clearity and intellegance by directly answering questions you ask. We here at ParaComm strive for our "Class A" EVPs... after all what's cooler than talking to the dead

Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ang_nutt76 View Post
I have a question about something i experienced that ive never heard of before. I still sometimes wonder if it happened the way i remember it ir if i was maybe mistaken but then i resolve without question that this happened. Im not a crazy person or some wierdo. In fact im a 37 year old mother of 3 who is very open to the spiritual world. Ive always been drawn to stories of spirits (having seen a few as a young girl), psychics, mediums, ghosts, ect. But a few months ago, as i was cleaning the house, I walked into my bathroom and was checking myself in the huge mirror that was hanging above the sink(and took up the entire length of the wall) when suddenly i heard a noise that sounded as if the wall was taking a deep breath in and the wall/mirror expanded to the point that i quickly stepped to avoid the mirror exploding in my face because it was convex! I know this sounds crazy but the wall/mirror didnt look "solid" it appeared to have a rippled look to it. Kind of like what you see in ghost or time-travel movies when someone steps back thru time and the area they walked out of looks like its water ripples? Thats the way it looked then there was a strange sound i cant describe and the wall goes back down to normal . When it did that i could hear it "exhale" for lack of a better word, and then the medicine cabinet that was located on the adjoining wall, inches from the mirror, it opened. That cabinet was closed. It has a magnetic lock to keep it closed and when it opened i heard the cabinet being pulled from the magnet keeping it shut, That cabinet never opened by itself because it was always shut back and the apartment was level so it was a force of somekind that made it open on its own but What?? Now during this short event i rubbed my eyes to make sure i didnt have something in them, i wondered if i stood up to fast and got a head rush, but i felt normal. Everything was fine and if the medicine cabinet hadnt opened i would probably doubt myself or convince myself that i didnt just see my mirror expand to the point that the mirror looked like it was being bent in half, but i did and i felt no rush of cold air, nothing wierd happened after that or before so....ever heard of something like that before????
An interesting expeirience, let me first put u at ease by saying I believe you, you're not the only person who has had this happen to them so don't feel alone. My first concern "red flag" is that u had no activity befor this incident, and you say there hasnt been another occurance. Let me ask if i may, the residence, is it older than 200 years? the property, are u urban or rural? you, you say you're a mother of 3, can I ask the age of your youngest living in the residence. One more thing, do u have any pets? I'd love to help you more understand what happened, but my main concern is always for peoples well being and when children are involved it puts it into a complelty differant catagory for us. Last question... When this incident occured did u feel u needed to be there? or was it the opposite? Did you feel like you needed to leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal