U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 02:25 AM

4,390 posts, read 6,614,346 times

Advertisements

OK, this is what I found in less than ten minutes researching the subject.
Native tribes used this for cleansing the body and mind, and during some prayer.
They state the burning of cedar, while praying, sends the smoke{I'M quoting here) "to the creator".
Oh pleeeease.
Give me a break.
I guess it is much like the catholic religion that relies so heavily on symbols.
They can't seem to pray without a set of rosary beads in their hand, or kneel down in front of a plaster of paris statue.
What the hell ever happened to old fashion one on one communication with our creator, without all this materialistic crap along for the ride?
Why do you feel you need sage, or cedar, or some other plant to gain entrance to your creator?
Why do you feel you need these same things to cleanse your home, and property of negativity?
What, or who on earth could possibly tell you your home, or car is bombarded with negativity, and needs to be cleansed?
As an outside observer, it sounds like a bunch of witch craft to me.
We all have our beliefs, and that is fine, but I have always felt it important to know why people believe in what they believe.
I know some dates back to tradition, but that too does not give a comprehensive explanation as to why someone believes in something.
Now, I believe in life after death, many do not.
I base my belief on what I have studied over the years, and the fact that I have been able to physically contact those who have passed on.
Again I find myself asking, what is this negativity you feel you need to cleanse from your life, and why are you using materialistic objects in that endeavor?
What is it in your life that bars you from going right to the source for your answers without all the baggage of herbs, beads, candles, etc?
Do you not know how to communicate with the one deity that has the answers for you?
I am puzzled by the fact you feel you need these things to change things in your lives.
As a side note, what happens if the smoke from the burning sage, or cedar never reached the creator?
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 03:17 AM

35,124 posts, read 36,387,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
OK, this is what I found in less than ten minutes researching the subject.
Native tribes used this for cleansing the body and mind, and during some prayer.
They state the burning of cedar, while praying, sends the smoke{I'M quoting here) "to the creator".
Oh pleeeease.
Give me a break.
I guess it is much like the catholic religion that relies so heavily on symbols.
They can't seem to pray without a set of rosary beads in their hand, or kneel down in front of a plaster of paris statue.
What the hell ever happened to old fashion one on one communication with our creator, without all this materialistic crap along for the ride?
Why do you feel you need sage, or cedar, or some other plant to gain entrance to your creator?
Why do you feel you need these same things to cleanse your home, and property of negativity?
What, or who on earth could possibly tell you your home, or car is bombarded with negativity, and needs to be cleansed?
As an outside observer, it sounds like a bunch of witch craft to me.
We all have our beliefs, and that is fine, but I have always felt it important to know why people believe in what they believe.
I know some dates back to tradition, but that too does not give a comprehensive explanation as to why someone believes in something.
Now, I believe in life after death, many do not.
I base my belief on what I have studied over the years, and the fact that I have been able to physically contact those who have passed on.
Again I find myself asking, what is this negativity you feel you need to cleanse from your life, and why are you using materialistic objects in that endeavor?
What is it in your life that bars you from going right to the source for your answers without all the baggage of herbs, beads, candles, etc?
Do you not know how to communicate with the one deity that has the answers for you?
I am puzzled by the fact you feel you need these things to change things in your lives.
As a side note, what happens if the smoke from the burning sage, or cedar never reached the creator?
Bob.
You know Bob you have actually made quite a few assumptions in your post and I can only answer for myself here. First you are questioning other's beliefs and traditions which is not nice. Then you have assumed that ALL Catholics do NOT pray without beads or in front of a statue and you have insulted Witches all in one paragraph, as impressive as that is in and of itself it is assumption on your part.

"I guess it is much like the catholic religion that relies so heavily on symbols.
They can't seem to pray without a set of rosary beads in their hand, or kneel down in front of a plaster of paris statue."

Prayer is one of those things that is Sacred and Personal and should not be questioned by anyone else how one chooses to Pray. If you want to ask why they choose to pray that way that is fine but to actually TELL someone that the way they pray is WRONG, never a good idea. If you do not pray that way that is fine but please refrain from telling me or anyone else that it is wrong to hold the Rosary while I pray if I choose to do so. Also a Rosary is not "materialistic" it is a comfort to many to have those beads in their hands as they offer their prayers to God. Besides, IF you have done so much studying on this subject you would already know the reason why the Rosary Beads are used.

"Why do you feel you need sage, or cedar, or some other plant to gain entrance to your creator?"

I do NOT feel I NEED anything besides my belief in God to be one with God.

"Why do you feel you need these same things to cleanse your home, and property of negativity?
What, or who on earth could possibly tell you your home, or car is bombarded with negativity, and needs to be cleansed?"

This is part of one of many sacred rituals handed down for generations, it is an offering to the ancients for their help and guidance to rid my home, spirit and aura of negative energies left by those who have left behind residuals that have a negative affect on the peace and tranquility of my home and spirit.

No one needs to TELL me that my home, vehicle or lawn tractor is bombarded with negative energy, I can feel it. It is quite disruptive and draining to me and my well being spiritually, emotionally, mentally and physically.

"As an outside observer, it sounds like a bunch of witch craft to me."

To an outside observer you need to be smudged yourself and cleanse your aura but that is another point entirely.

Cleansing ones home and aura is not Witch craft in and of itself, it is part of a ritual that is done to free your home and aura of negative energy left by others who have left behind their own negative energy.
As far as a Witch is concerned, sage is used often to cast spells the same as candles, oils and other ingredients are used. Depending on the spell itself the items used represent different things. Much like an aspirin is used for a headache but a cast is used for a broken bone.

"We all have our beliefs, and that is fine, but I have always felt it important to know why people believe in what they believe."

It honestly is none of your business why people believe what they believe. One's belief or non belief in God, Buddha, Mohammad or any other diety is a very personal and sacred part of who one is and no one is required to try and explain it to your satisfaction.

"I know some dates back to tradition, but that too does not give a comprehensive explanation as to why someone believes in something."

You are trying to comprehend something that is purely Faith, an unquestioning belief in God to the core of their being that has no (according to science, athiest and many others) scientific or logical explaination.

"Now, I believe in life after death, many do not.
I base my belief on what I have studied over the years, and the fact that I have been able to physically contact those who have passed on."

WHY exactly do you believe in life after death? You have based your belief on what you have studied and what you perceive as "Physical contact with those who have passed on". Many will tell you that you are WRONG and you need to be locked up and you were under the influence of something.

I won't do that because I happen to be a Spirit Medium or Soul Witch if you will and I have Spirits around me all the time. I see them, feel them, hear them and can speak with them. It is not something I can explain in a comprehensive nor logical way that will adequately help anyone who does not believe understand what I experience on a daily basis. I just know these things, just like I know God, just like I know how to brush my teeth and breath and scratch an itch. It just IS.

"Again I find myself asking, what is this negativity you feel you need to cleanse from your life, and why are you using materialistic objects in that endeavor?
I am puzzled by the fact you feel you need these things to change things in your lives."

I have tried my best to explain these things to you it is all I can do to help your understanding.

"As a side note, what happens if the smoke from the burning sage, or cedar never reached the creator?""

This one is easy.........every offering always reaches GOD simply because I have FAITH.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 AM

My apologies to everyone for my post being so long, I did not know how to make it shorter. I'm sure there was a better way to accomplish that but I just did not take the time to figure out how to do it.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:41 AM

659 posts, read 743,823 times
Thanks to everyone with helpful replies. I did find a new age store, not in a bad area just in an odd area of town so I might drive there today and talk to someone to help be buy what I need to smudge my house.

I don't know if I believe in spirits or not floating around me or my home but it's Halloween and all these spooky shows are on, a lot of mediums etc.... so I am freaking out!!! My home had something tragic happen in the past, I have not experienced anything but I have not been living there full time yet because we are still remodeling.

If there is such things as spirits, I Don't want to **** it off and I want it gone!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:37 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,097,004 times
I study Feng Shui, and I can tell you, "Predecessor energy" is very real . . .you MUST do cleansing rituals . . . first, all of the ingredients can be found in health food stores that have herbs and some foods in bins.

Get some coarse salt for a ritual to sprinkle around the perimeters of your property.

Get some sage.

Fresh oranges can also be used in Feng Shui cures - P.M. me and I will give you a cure.

Your INTENTION is more important than anything else - so before you start any ritual, cleanse yourself and have the INTENTION that you will be moving any negative energies out of your environment and blessing your space . . . that is extremely important. In the school of Feng Shui I practice, each "cure" is put in with a prayer of intention . . . repeated "x" amount of times (you can P.M. me for details).

Also, get rid of any clutter in your environment - only keep items that are immediately useful or that you love - donate, recycle, or trash the rest.

Did what happen in your home happen before you bought it? If so, did you have knowledge of it when you bought it?

Do the rituals and you may have to hire a Feng Shui consultant to encourage any spirits to move on (you can COMMAND that they "move on to the light" as you are doing your ritual).

Good luck and please do report back.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:02 AM

659 posts, read 743,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I study Feng Shui, and I can tell you, "Predecessor energy" is very real . . .you MUST do cleansing rituals . . . first, all of the ingredients can be found in health food stores that have herbs and some foods in bins.

Get some coarse salt for a ritual to sprinkle around the perimeters of your property.

Get some sage.

Fresh oranges can also be used in Feng Shui cures - P.M. me and I will give you a cure.

Your INTENTION is more important than anything else - so before you start any ritual, cleanse yourself and have the INTENTION that you will be moving any negative energies out of your environment and blessing your space . . . that is extremely important. In the school of Feng Shui I practice, each "cure" is put in with a prayer of intention . . . repeated "x" amount of times (you can P.M. me for details).

Also, get rid of any clutter in your environment - only keep items that are immediately useful or that you love - donate, recycle, or trash the rest.

Did what happen in your home happen before you bought it? If so, did you have knowledge of it when you bought it?

Do the rituals and you may have to hire a Feng Shui consultant to encourage any spirits to move on (you can COMMAND that they "move on to the light" as you are doing your ritual).

Good luck and please do report back.

I will send you a private message, I prefer not to talk publicly about it.

Last edited by Ming Ming; 10-18-2012 at 11:13 AM..

Old 10-18-2012, 11:26 AM

4,390 posts, read 6,614,346 times
CSD610,
I put quotation marks around one part of your last response to my post,and I have a question.
Here is the quote.
I asked, ""Why do you feel you need sage, or cedar, or some other plant to gain entrance to your creator?"
And you replied, "I do NOT feel I NEED anything besides my belief in God to be one with God."
Then my next obvious question would be, then why do you use these material objects when praying,when you just stated you don't need them?

Bob.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:32 AM

5,371 posts, read 6,104,292 times
Very interesting...just curious, is smudging similar or related in any way to something like an exorcism? Or when a Christian religious priest or pastor blesses a house to protect if from evil; something like that?

ETA: also what is the difference between Feng Shui and say a conventional religious blessing ritual to ward off evil (i.e., Christian or other religion, etc.)?

Old 10-18-2012, 11:40 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,097,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Very interesting...just curious, is smudging similar or related in any way to something like an exorcism? Or when a Christian religious priest or pastor blesses a house to protect if from evil; something like that?

ETA: also what is the difference between Feng Shui and say a conventional religious blessing ritual to ward off evil (i.e., Christian or other religion, etc.)?
To address your last sentence: There is no difference. It is all in the intention. Each religion and each tradition uses certain rituals and offers up certain prayers.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
CSD610,
I put quotation marks around one part of your last response to my post,and I have a question.
Here is the quote.
I asked, ""Why do you feel you need sage, or cedar, or some other plant to gain entrance to your creator?"
And you replied, "I do NOT feel I NEED anything besides my belief in God to be one with God."
Then my next obvious question would be, then why do you use these material objects when praying,when you just stated you don't need them?

Bob.
Where did I state that I specifically used sage, cedar or some other plant to gain entrance to God?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal