U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2012, 12:46 PM

18,862 posts, read 11,080,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Very interesting...just curious, is smudging similar or related in any way to something like an exorcism? Or when a Christian religious priest or pastor blesses a house to protect if from evil; something like that?

ETA: also what is the difference between Feng Shui and say a conventional religious blessing ritual to ward off evil (i.e., Christian or other religion, etc.)?

Exorcism is an entirely different issue and using a smudge stick will not take care of that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 12:47 PM

7,290 posts, read 5,180,019 times
To Bob: The creator put certain plants on the Earth to use as "medicine." When you use those plants in a ritual with a certain intention, you are connecting with sacred energies for a specific purpose. Capish?

Old 10-18-2012, 12:53 PM

2,711 posts, read 2,031,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Where did I state that I specifically used sage, cedar or some other plant to gain entrance to God?
That's what I was wondering and had to read back to be sure I did not misread anything.
Nowhere do I see anything that says such in any comments.
I see 'sending smoke to the creator'....might Bob have understood that to mean entrance?

Old 10-18-2012, 12:56 PM

The Catholic Church has a specific ritual that is done for exorcism - certain schools of Feng Shui also do rituals to command lingering spirits to move on.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
That's what I was wondering and had to read back to be sure I did not misread anything.
Nowhere do I see anything that says such in any comments.
I see 'sending smoke to the creator'....might Bob have understood that to mean entrance?

I saw that as well but that is something he wrote from a quote he found I did not write it. I don't know but I'm sure he will let me know eventually and I'll address it then.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 PM

I've often been been curious Feng Shui but never really grasped the directional concept of it but I am directionally challenged so that could be part of it.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:20 PM

2,711 posts, read 2,031,836 times
Bob asks-
What, or who on earth could possibly tell you your home, or car is bombarded with negativity, and needs to be cleansed?
Why do you feel you need these same things to cleanse your home, and property of negativity?

So....have you ever walked into a room you have never been in before or sat in another persons chair and suddenly felt uneasy, nervouse, angry about nothing?
Have you ever touched a person and get a sick feeling?

The universe and everything in it is made up of energy, and with all things there are positives and negatives.
If someone is typically angry and depressed all the time, then thier chair in which they sit a lot of the time is going to absorb their energy. Some people are more psychometric than others and can literally feel this energy.
When I walk into a house of room that has been vacant for a period of time, the 'general' energy dissipates and the 'resident' energy becomes more prominate. I can feel this and if I don't like the feeling, I do something about it.
Sage is a good way to send this negative energy on it's way- be it the energy goes someplace else or the sage neutralizes the energy, I don't know, but the result is that the bad energy is no longer.
Perhaps smoke from certain plants work in a similar manner as the ocean, changing and charging ions.

And as far as witchcraft goes, when casting a spell or doing ritual magic, these material things ARE symbolic, no argument there, however, the human mind likes to wander and strikes up a conversation with it's own 'monkey mind'- these tools aid in keeping focused on the ritual or goal at hand.
As was said earlier, it's intent. Simple manifestation. If one cannot keep focused, intensely and solely, these symbolic materials help. A candle is the spark, the life force and the passion. When we connect to that passion within, manifestation happens. Not everyone needs them. For some it is just a thought, for others it's keeping a journal.
However, a thought is not going to get rid of physical energy left over from someone or something that came before.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Bob asks-
What, or who on earth could possibly tell you your home, or car is bombarded with negativity, and needs to be cleansed?
Why do you feel you need these same things to cleanse your home, and property of negativity?

So....have you ever walked into a room you have never been in before or sat in another persons chair and suddenly felt uneasy, nervouse, angry about nothing?

The universe and everything in it is made up of energy, and with all things there are positives and negatives.
If someone is typically angry and depressed all the time, then thier chair in which they sit a lot of the time is going to absorb their energy. Some people are more psychometric than others and can literally feel this energy.
When I walk into a house of room that has been vacant for a period of time, the 'general' energy dissipates and the 'resident' energy becomes more prominate. I can feel this and if I don't like the feeling, I do something about it.
Sage is a good way to send this negative energy on it's way- be it the energy goes someplace else or the sage neutralizes the energy, I don't know, but the result is that the bad energy is no longer.
Perhaps smoke from certain plants work in a similar manner as the ocean, changing and charging ions.

And as far as witchcraft goes, when casting a spell or doing ritual magic, these material things ARE symbolic, no argument there, however, the human mind likes to wander and strikes up a conversation with it's own 'monkey mind'- these tools aid in keeping focused on the ritual or goal at hand.
As was said earlier, it's intent. Simple manifestation. If one cannot keep focused, intensely and solely, these symbolic materials help. A candle is the spark, the life force and the passion. When we connect to that passion within, manifestation happens. Not everyone needs them. For some it is just a thought, for others it's keeping a journal.
However, a thought is not going to get rid of physical energy left over from someone or something that came before.
Very nicely put.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:29 PM

2,405 posts, read 2,670,699 times
Quote:
Bob asks-

I seriously can't subscribe to this negative energy thing, especially the way you describe it in this post.
Someone sitting in a chair leaves negative energy?
Your state of mind concerning the probability of negative energy being present is what is causing you to think there is negative energy present.
Not to be-little you ,or others who are involved in this smudging, but I really think it is your own spirit within that is the negative energy you all speak of.
From the way smudging has been described to me in this thread, I see it as a vicious circle.
You walk into a room, enter your new house, get behind the wheel of your vehicle, and you feel negative energy, so you all whip out the sage, and cedar, and go to town trying to rid your surroundings of this negativity, when in fact, it is originating from your own spirit within.
In many of my other post dealing with spirits, I have often remarked that our spirit within is the one doing the thinking for us.
As humans,we think we are in control, and are the ones calling the shots.
That is just not the way it is.
If you smudgers are feeling negative energy, it is coming from within, and no where else.
Every custom, tradition, or ritual has had a beginning.
There was a time when these rituals were not present.
I will post more on that in another post.
Presently I need to attend to a clogged drain in one of my rentals, and will get back to this when I return.

Bob.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I seriously can't subscribe to this negative energy thing, especially the way you describe it in this post.
Someone sitting in a chair leaves negative energy?
Your state of mind concerning the probability of negative energy being present is what is causing you to think there is negative energy present.
Not to be-little you ,or others who are involved in this smudging, but I really think it is your own spirit within that is the negative energy you all speak of.
From the way smudging has been described to me in this thread, I see it as a vicious circle.
You walk into a room, enter your new house, get behind the wheel of your vehicle, and you feel negative energy, so you all whip out the sage, and cedar, and go to town trying to rid your surroundings of this negativity, when in fact, it is originating from your own spirit within.
In many of my other post dealing with spirits, I have often remarked that our spirit within is the one doing the thinking for us.
As humans,we think we are in control, and are the ones calling the shots.
That is just not the way it is.
If you smudgers are feeling negative energy, it is coming from within, and no where else.
Every custom, tradition, or ritual has had a beginning.
There was a time when these rituals were not present.
I will post more on that in another post.
Presently I need to attend to a clogged drain in one of my rentals, and will get back to this when I return.

Bob.
I haven't reviewed all of your posts, but it appears you are a "skeptic." When this forum was created, I thought there was some tacit agreement that it was not a place for skeptics to trash ideas they might not subscribe to - but a place for people with legitimate interests in these types of ideas to converse with each other.

If we have to waste our energy "arguing" with skeptics, it takes away from other, positive contributions we might make instead.

If you have a need to argue about ideas, how about some of the other forums where arguing is the name of the game?

I don't understand what your fascination is with arguing with people who are trying to share information on esoteric topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal