U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 12:28 AM

15,388 posts, read 22,339,525 times

Advertisements

Some great posts contained in thread from OwlKMyst and Imcurious. I've never done smudging, thinking about giving it a try.

Congrats Bob It appears your opinion is highly valued and challenged.:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 10:23 AM

3,747 posts, read 5,696,102 times
As so not to derail any further- this is my last 'off' post, but I want to address one thing before I go.

Quote:
Your state of mind concerning the probability of negative energy being present is what is causing you to think there is negative energy present.
Bob, I have noticed in this discussion and others that you like to read more into what a person has written.
Where did I express that I had thoughts of negative energy prior to sitting in a chair? That is a total assumption on your part.
Don't confuse things by adding to what someone else actually has stated.

Why would anyone entering a room for the first time have any preconceived notions that there is negative energy? (Unless they are just paranoid that way).

How do you view auras? Auras are our personal energy, and we leave bits of it behind as well as merge our auras with others when we get in close proximity.
What about Chi? Chi is personal energy as well, I've seen it in action many times.

I was at a gathering having a good time, no thoughts of negativity, and I suddenly became light-headed, dizzy and nauseous. No, I was not drinking. I had to sit down and I was trying to figure out why I felt so ill. I covered all the mundane bases first as always, then a particular person came closer to me and my head started to buzz and I was on the verge of throwing up.
In retrospect I was able to put two and two together. I had initially became ill when this person had entered into the courtyard.
I know this because they let out a big whoop upon arriving.
It was then that I removed myself from that space to a place where I could watch from a distance. It took me about 10 minutes before I felt somewhat right again. Once they left I was totally back to normal.

If I had sage, I would have smudged myself right then and there, as well as the courtyard.

Bob, you offer some good content at times, however, your presentation comes in the form of absolutes. It's fine to have an opinion, but present it as such.
I totally disagree with the majority of people about Ouija boards, and I say so and I have that opinion based on personal experience. One's personal experience does not make anything a truth so I'm not going to tell those who disagree with me that their beliefs are hard to swallow.
They have their experiences and personal truths just as I have mine.
I offer my opinion and experience only as a means of giving a fresh perspective and food for thought.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:32 AM

152 posts, read 433,066 times
It is nothing but superstition.
Superstitions have lasted for thousands of years and are nothing more than just that.
We would still be sacrificing other humans if there wasn't a law forbidding it.

If it puts your mind to rest, I guess there is no real harm in it.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:37 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,741,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
OK, this is what I found in less than ten minutes researching the subject.
Native tribes used this for cleansing the body and mind, and during some prayer.
They state the burning of cedar, while praying, sends the smoke{I'M quoting here) "to the creator".
Oh pleeeease.
Give me a break.
I guess it is much like the catholic religion that relies so heavily on symbols.
They can't seem to pray without a set of rosary beads in their hand, or kneel down in front of a plaster of paris statue.
What the hell ever happened to old fashion one on one communication with our creator, without all this materialistic crap along for the ride?
Why do you feel you need sage, or cedar, or some other plant to gain entrance to your creator?
Why do you feel you need these same things to cleanse your home, and property of negativity?
What, or who on earth could possibly tell you your home, or car is bombarded with negativity, and needs to be cleansed?
As an outside observer, it sounds like a bunch of witch craft to me.
We all have our beliefs, and that is fine, but I have always felt it important to know why people believe in what they believe.
I know some dates back to tradition, but that too does not give a comprehensive explanation as to why someone believes in something.
Now, I believe in life after death, many do not.
I base my belief on what I have studied over the years, and the fact that I have been able to physically contact those who have passed on.
Again I find myself asking, what is this negativity you feel you need to cleanse from your life, and why are you using materialistic objects in that endeavor?
What is it in your life that bars you from going right to the source for your answers without all the baggage of herbs, beads, candles, etc?
Do you not know how to communicate with the one deity that has the answers for you?
I am puzzled by the fact you feel you need these things to change things in your lives.
As a side note, what happens if the smoke from the burning sage, or cedar never reached the creator?
Bob.
Now you're attacking Wiccans, as well.

Cal, this forum is supposed to be a safe place for those of alternate belief systems. It is obvious, from your posts that if people don't believe your way they're toast.

Why don't you bring your scintillating comments to a board where people will appreciate your kind?

There are ways of disagreeing that are still polite.

We each bring our own experience to this forum. It is human nature to be suspicious of the 'other'. We should also have open minds and realize that our chosen path for growth may not be shared by everyone.

Maybe we should all try to learn from each other rather than take punches at those who are trying to open up about things. It takes a certain vulnerability and trust to open up here. Some of us have no one else to share our ideas with. They would all close down, if there were more like you.

So, if you don't like something, express that in a polite way, or please refrain from speech.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 PM

35,121 posts, read 36,909,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Now you're attacking Wiccans, as well.

Cal, this forum is supposed to be a safe place for those of alternate belief systems. It is obvious, from your posts that if people don't believe your way they're toast.

Why don't you bring your scintillating comments to a board where people will appreciate your kind?

There are ways of disagreeing that are still polite.

We each bring our own experience to this forum. It is human nature to be suspicious of the 'other'. We should also have open minds and realize that our chosen path for growth may not be shared by everyone.

Maybe we should all try to learn from each other rather than take punches at those who are trying to open up about things. It takes a certain vulnerability and trust to open up here. Some of us have no one else to share our ideas with. They would all close down, if there were more like you.

So, if you don't like something, express that in a polite way, or please refrain from speech.

I can guarantee that I will not pass along any sort of information or try to explain anything again here. So this has been added to my no discussion/debate/defending list along with Religion, Politics, Smoking and why I drive a big vehicle with a 42 gallon gasoline tank. My ignore list has also been expanded a wee bit, oh well darn, it's time for dessert and fresh coffee.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:00 PM

1,707 posts, read 991,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I can guarantee that I will not pass along any sort of information or try to explain anything again here. So this has been added to my no discussion/debate/defending list along with Religion, Politics, Smoking and why I drive a big vehicle with a 42 gallon gasoline tank. My ignore list has also been expanded a wee bit, oh well darn, it's time for dessert and fresh coffee.
No! A lot of us value your opinion! Don't cease to pass along info or engage in discussion!

Old 10-19-2012, 02:03 PM

1,707 posts, read 991,442 times
Last night after reading this thread, I decided to try setting good intentions in my home. I didn't have sage or a smudging stick so I just closed my eyes and prayed / set intentions. I asked to be left in peace and if there are any low-vibrating spirits, for them to not influence me and to leave me in peace.
I had a good night's rest (for once in a very long time). I will have to try this more often.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:00 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,193,474 times
One more little detail, re: smudging - you are not supposed to extinquish the sage (in other words, don't run it under water to put it out) . . . you are supposed to let it burn out naturally. Sometimes, it could continue burning for a long time, so I put it out side in a fire safe place, or place the shell in my sink (again, as a way to protect it from catching fire).

Old 10-19-2012, 06:02 PM

4,447 posts, read 6,715,776 times
This a little off topic,but some of the post in this thread deal with why I am posting this one.
First let me say, I am sorry if I have offended anyone responding in this thread.
It is not my intention to start any forum wars.
What I believe, and what others believe are two entirely different things when it comes to the main subject of this thread.
Apparently I come on board this paranormal forum with an entirely different outlook on the subject of paranormal, than most who post to this forum.
For over twenty years I have made it my duty to study, research, and learn from as many sources as I can, regarding spiritual and paranormal behavior.and over those years I have gained an immeasurable amount of knowledge.
As I have stated in other post, once in a while in research, one item sticks out among the rest in importance, and oftentimes is more compelling than much of the other material.
You have seen me quote from, and highly recommend "The Spirits' Book", and that is because it has a wealth of information far superior to anything else I have researched.
When I use my knowledge learned from that book, on this forum, it has always been my intention to enlighten those who are of a different opinion.
Though sometimes it may not seem that way, but I like to offer what I can, so the people reading can make up their own minds.
I regard to this subject of smudging, my knowledge tells me it is completely unnecessary however, many posting here felt that I were posting in an attempt to persuade others that they should refrain from this practice of smudging.
If it appeared that way, it wasn't meant too.
In one post I stated I felt it was "garbage".
In hindsight perhaps I should have added "Where I am concerned".
My experiences tell me there are other ways to obtain the same objective as smudging, and it was only my intention to explain that.
All I am trying to do is offer what it is I know, and have experienced.
If somehow you read into my post something entirely different, I apologize.
We all are here to learn from one another, and I must admit that sometimes I get a little carried away when trying to get my point across.
Bob.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:03 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,741,694 times
Thank you, Bob. For me, I agree with your message, but also think symbology can be of great assistance in focusing attention. If it helps to optimize results, fine.

It was the manner in which you presented your ideas that seemed hurtful to those who found these things useful that troubled me.

Please pardon me if I over reacted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal