U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:14 PM

9,394 posts, read 18,231,326 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Jalisco, Mexico, The Azores, Portugal, or Spain but have an urgent sense to go to all of those places. Also Arizona resonates with me a lot. The Southwestern topography with the red rocks, mountains, and desert feel like a spiratual home to me.

Places I find very unattractive are Ireland, England and especially Scotland. I get a melencholy feeling for those places. Boston where I use to live kind of has a repulsive effect on me. I like New Mexico a lot better. Something my intuition recognizes is Anglican/Germanic/Scandinavian culture and surroundings along with places that have a strong protestant contingent do not appeal to me. I probably wouldn't like Minnesota, and I really do not like Virginia at all.

However Latin based cultures along with places that have cathlolic traditions I find so much more attractive. I'm not partial to the religion, but moreso just the traditions, languages, and architecture. I appreciate places like Quebec a lot more than New England. I get a feeling I would probably appreciate New Orleans a lot too, though I haven't been yet. One city that totally repulsed me and I did not like at all is Dallas, it felt soulless to me and is my least favorite city in the US. I really liked San Antonio a lot though and found it a lot more charming and inviting. San Francisco is my favorite American city to visit.

Oddly enough my ancestry is Irish and English and I'm not drawn to either culture or country at all. I find Spain, Portugal, and France a lot more intriguing. Why I feel this way (and very strongly about it) is a mystery to me.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 10-29-2012 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 11:45 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,306,295 times
I was drawn to Manhattan, NY for as long as I can remember. It may be partly because my father was stationed on Governor's Island when he served in the US Army from '62 to '65, and told me many stories about his time in the city. I used to religiously watch NY based shows like Law and Order just to get the "NY vibe" from them. I finally made it there in April 2009. The strange thing was that immediately upon setting foot in the city, I *knew* where everything was, in the same way that Jack Torrence "knew" what around every corner in the Overlook Hotel (for The Shining fans among us). I found my way to most landmarks and points of interest without consulting a map, and would turn down random streets only to find myself exactly where I wanted to go. It was like I has lived there before, even though I had never set foot there before in my life. I had also taken a solo trip to Dublin, Ireland and even though I have a strong connection to my Irish heritage, Dublin felt like a foreign city to me.

In May 2010, I took my then GF to Manhattan for 5 days. She was uttely amazed at how well I knew my way around, even though I had only been there once before. She would mention someting she would like to see (Gramercy Park, Washington Square Park, The Flatiron building, etc) and I would just take her there. She is a firm believer in reincarnation for personal reasons, and is convinced I lived a past life in Manhattan. I feel more of a connection to Manhattan than I do Toronto, even though I was born there and lived in the GTA my entire life. The connection to Manhattan was so strong for me, we married there last May 9th.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:06 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,673,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I have a love affair with New Orleans and am finally living here after visting about 40-50 times over ten years. Crazy as it sounds, I feel like I have been "called" to come here. I feel as though I am completely at home. What places are you drawn to? What was your experience like if you were in them? How about the places you felt ill at ease in?

I used to travel all over the country for my job and there was no place, and I mean no place, that affected me the way New Orleans did. I'm extremely sensitive to someone speaking to me from afar (as in many states away) mentally. It's like I hear their voice loud in my head.

Now, I'm no schzophrenic by any means, but when I got out of that cab in New Orleans, it was like a million voices, probably of the dead, flooded my head. It was the most bizarre experience I ever had. It lasted the whole time I was there. I wasn't scared by it, more annoyed after awhile and wanted to yell, "okay, everyone just shut up." The French Quarter was the strongest and this one street just outside of it and then, of course it made sense, since we passed an above ground cemetary on a hill by the road. It all stopped when I got in the cab to the airport.

My aunt is sensitive to these things like I am and I have been begging her to go just to confirm this.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 PM

747 posts, read 1,206,048 times
For me it's NE Georgia/SW North Carolina in the Appalachians where I feel like I'm *home*. If I could pick up and move to Rabun County, Georgia tomorrow, I would in a heartbeat.

I grew up in the SF Bay Area in California, which is a nice area I guess. However, California has never, ever felt like home to me. I've always felt like an unwelcome outsider there. I lived in Kentucky for a while and it never felt welcoming to me either. I never could put my finger on why. It was a different feeling than I had in California. The last few times I was there, I absolutely dreaded going and couldn't wait to get out of there. Of course, I attributed that to going for custody hearings and that was a very painful time in my life. I always used to breathe a huge sigh of relief coming back to Texas from Kentucky.

Now I'm feeling like I'm being pulled in two separate directions. On one hand, the aforementioned Appalachians and on the other, northern Arizona, maybe Sedona up through Flagstaff. I never wanted to live in a desert environment but there is something about that area that is calling to me.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:05 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,165,977 times
I think NOLA would naturally fascinate someone who was interested in the occult or the supernatural, and it definitely has a very strong vibe/pull/spiritual energy, whatever you want to call it. While I found it interesting, it's not the kind of place I'd actually want to live. It has a very violent, dark history and today it just seems fitting it is the 'murder capital' of the US. It just feels that death lurks there, in the alleyways of the Treme to the swamps, as cool as they are. Voodoo is in the air in that city.

I've always been drawn to New England, and weirdly feel nostalgic for Boston even though I had some horrible experiences there, totally unrelated to place. As for regions, Italy, Greece, France, Iberia - basically Southern Europe, the Cotswolds in England and Copenhagen, Denmark seem to draw me. Outside Europe Japan, India, the mountainous parts of China, and the good old Aussie outback.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:23 PM

112 posts, read 151,014 times
None that I havn't already been to several times.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:56 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,768,083 times
I was drawn to the west for quite a few years and lived there happily till the place changed. I guess my karma in the place was done. Time to move on and I did. I'm in the state where I grew up, East Coast, but only as a transition, a place to "rest" and gather my thoughts till I find my true home. I hope a place grabs me soon to make it my own. A sense of belonging is so important.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:11 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,953,548 times
It feels like Denver is calling me. I know it is because of the mountains (I love to hike) and the sunshine.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:39 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,064,316 times
Seattle, WA; Las Cruces, NM; Sedona, AZ; Salzberg, Austria; Northern Italy around Lake Garda, for whatever reason, I could happily live in those places.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 PM

1,007 posts, read 862,619 times
Boston, MA and Dublin, Ireland (both are probably because of my grandfather). I loved Jerusalem and was very sad when I had to leave. I was also very drawn to Galway, Ireland. Now I am in South Florida. The first time I came to Fort Lauderdale, I felt like I was home and remember feeling sad when I left on the plane even though I knew I was coming back to live here. I've only been here 6 months, but I feel like this is home. I was raised in Upstate NY, but as long as I can remember I have gotten a happy homecoming sort of feeling whenever I saw palm trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal