U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2013, 11:49 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,625,005 times

Advertisements

I don't even think it's mystical or spiritual. I think you can have claustrophobia where you like being able to see for miles and miles and don't really like feeling closed in by trees and hills --- so you might enjoy the desert more. Or you might have a touch of SAD -- seasonal depression and really don't feel great with lots of rain and clouds and long dark frigid days, so you will be drawn to the south and west. Or you might like the green and lots of rain and you prefer to stay indoors anyhow so you might like the NW. Those who love winter sports will want to head north.

And city lovers of course will be drawn to certain cities over others -- the nightlife in one might be much more to their liking than that of a small town. Some will want to be in the more international cities, some will prefer America heartland cities, some might want the fashion or money capital type cities.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 12:42 PM

7 posts, read 5,762 times
Chicago is where my soul resides. I have never been happier in my life since I moved here almost a year ago. It really feels like I have at last come home. Let me explain: I spent most of my life in California, my family having moved there when I was 7 years old. My mother tells me that the move was extremely traumatic for me. We were leaving behind ties to extended family and community. (This was in Boston, where I was born). Unlike the vast majority of people, I always felt like a fish out of water in California. (36 years spent in the southern part, 18 years in the Bay Area). I always had a longing to live in a place that had 4 distinct seasons. California was always hot, barren, dry. I hated it. (I actually do much better in cold weather. Strange, I know). I first visited Chicago back in the 70s, and even then felt this feeling of belonging there. Throughout the 2000s, I made numerous trips here, and grew to love this city more and more. A year ago, being retired, single, and pretty much free I decided to make the move. I am so glad I did.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:26 PM

125 posts, read 105,105 times
Chicago, Minneapolis, and Seattle feel like "home" to me.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:51 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,141,415 times
Las Vegas
Palm Springs
St. George, UT
Salt Lake City, UT
Barstow, CA

Old 07-12-2016, 02:15 PM

11,933 posts, read 20,383,027 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGRnJlvuhI

Pretty much says it for me...

Old 07-13-2016, 01:13 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,982,771 times
I used to feel that way about San Francisco and I spent many vacations there. Last time I went I did not feel the connection like I used to, and haven't been back since (2008). I think the cost of living got so outlandish that it's out of my budget to even visit there anymore.

New Orleans and Palm Springs are two places that I cannot get enough of. There is not one thing in common between them - they are radically different. But I have different sides, I think, and each one caters to a side. New Orleans, I love everything about it. Not so much the people itself, but the overall culture, and the fun and good vibes always make me feel so good when I'm there. From Palm Springs I always experience a spiritual peacefulness from it's desert environment and probably live there in spite of its summers (I'd be gone a lot).

Loved New York when I was there, and San Diego was nice, too, but I'd never want to live in either city.

I have lived in Oregon for 35 years and never felt connected to it. At all. If I won the lottery I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:01 AM

19,377 posts, read 17,481,461 times
I drove through the Hudson River Valley and it just struck me as a great place to live. Ossining, Poughkeepsie, West Point, the river stretching out and the mountains surrounding it seemed ideal. I'm a huge Washington Irving fan if that has anything to do with it. I'd probably miss the SE Pa culture ( which is rapidly being displaced) but the scenic beauty of that area and the history of that area seem to beckon me.
Then too, Durango Colorado intrigues me for some reason. I'd probably hate the harsh winters, though.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:31 PM

243 posts, read 396,815 times
I always been drawn to Florida, i never been there before. Something about Florida feels right. I feel like my happiness is there and i would be a lot more happy in life when i move down there. I know people who moved down there and they are very happy

I went to school for Medical Coding last summer and took the test and that was the hardest test i ever took in my life. I did tons of research and talk to other coders who took the test they told me the proper way to study and how much time to spend and what method to use. So i am back on it studying for this "CPC" that is the golden ticket to getting a job. The pay is really well in Florida considering the state has a lower cost of living.

If i can't make it to Florida then Philly is another possibility.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:01 PM

4,935 posts, read 2,279,425 times
San Diego, CA feels like "home".

Santa Fe, NM; I feel like I'm in "my element".

Once, in H.S. we watched a documentary on Stonehenge & I got physically ill & had to leave the classroom.

This wasn't like a "can't stand it" ill; it was more like a "homesick" ill. It was very, very strange.

I've never been there (I think?).

Old 08-11-2016, 12:18 PM

997 posts, read 578,587 times
For me there is a big thing about the Twin-cities, Minneapolis and St.Paul in Minnesota and that whole area. The river runs through it. There is something about the Mississippi river. I had to go there and travel along the river for miles. It was a big deal. There is also something about the Great Lakes and how all that water flows.

That is a long ways from where I live. My home is special too and I would never leave. I was trying figure out why that area is so important. I don't know, there could be multiple reasons but Asto-Cartography does explain it for me. That area is a place where my big lines are. Here too, I have a important line. Home is best but that other place is a big power place for me. It just is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal