U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 03:16 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,768,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I drove through the Hudson River Valley and it just struck me as a great place to live. Ossining, Poughkeepsie, West Point, the river stretching out and the mountains surrounding it seemed ideal. I'm a huge Washington Irving fan if that has anything to do with it. I'd probably miss the SE Pa culture ( which is rapidly being displaced) but the scenic beauty of that area and the history of that area seem to beckon me.
Then too, Durango Colorado intrigues me for some reason. I'd probably hate the harsh winters, though.
I lived in the Hudson Valley, but north of there, till my 30's. It is a beautiful area. Lots of creative types are drawn to that area, too. Near my MIL's place, next to her, was a famous director and he'd have his celebrity friends there to visit. Lots of that going on in little Hudson Valley. Some of it because NYC is in such close proximity--by train not far and people have 2nd homes, retreats, in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 01:54 PM

444 posts, read 202,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I drove through the Hudson River Valley and it just struck me as a great place to live. Ossining, Poughkeepsie, West Point, the river stretching out and the mountains surrounding it seemed ideal. I'm a huge Washington Irving fan if that has anything to do with it. I'd probably miss the SE Pa culture ( which is rapidly being displaced) but the scenic beauty of that area and the history of that area seem to beckon me.
Then too, Durango Colorado intrigues me for some reason. I'd probably hate the harsh winters, though.
Can I ask what you mean by "Southeastern Pennsylvania" culture?

Old 08-12-2016, 02:49 PM

89 posts, read 52,885 times
I personally am drawn to New England. The first time I experienced it was just magical. Being surrounded by the foliage feels very spiritual to me. Both times in my life that I've lived near Boston, I was very productive and felt very happy.

On the other hand, my husband will not go near New Orleans. For a few years before Katrina, I had been begging him to take me on vacation to New Orleans, but he absolutely refused. He told me that in his early 20s he had to drive through the city on a road trip, and he said once he got within the city limits he started to feel odd. His companions insisted on going to a few bars, but all he could think about was how he just wanted to get back in the car and keep going. I tried to get him to elaborate on what he felt, but he only describes it as a very bad/evil feeling and he says he will never go back there again. This coming from a person who grew up near Amityville and says all that is BS.

Last edited by Candyphd; 08-12-2016 at 03:26 PM..

Old 08-17-2016, 07:39 PM

2,779 posts, read 996,922 times
I know what you mean, though I can't explain it. About 12 years ago I went to Calais, Maine for an event. It is a small town of 3,000 on the border of New Brunswick. I had never been there before nor do I have any ancestors from there, yet it literally felt like I had come home. It was the strangest feeling. There isn't anything special about Calais at all that would give it a unique appeal, nor did it have anything in common with anyplace I have ever lived.

Calais was the 2nd time I had that experience. The 1st was when I was a 1st semester sophomore in college many years earlier. I had taken a ride with a buddy to North Adams, MA, someplace I had never been. North Adams back then was an old mill town whose glory days were long gone. It absolutely was nothing special, yet I found myself drawn to it in a way I had never been drawn to anyplace. We went onto the campus of the then North Adams State College and after being there maybe 20 minutes I decided to transfer there for the next semester. I found the Admin building right then and there and set the process in motion. I loved every minute at that school and in that run down small city. I tell people I wouldn't have graduated except I ran out of money and had to graduate and get a job. Like with Calais, I have no ancestry from North Adams or other connection to it.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:40 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,117,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
This is the study of astrocartology. You can easily decipher what cities would be most propitious by looking at where lines cross on the earth's surface, in relationship to the placement of the planets at your birth.

You can also use that information to plan vacations, career development . . . areas where you would be most creative or the most likely to fall into depression, etc.

Yes! Astrocartography. I would love to have a consult with an astrocartographer. I havealwaysfelt really drawn to some places - even as a child - New England, England, Eastern Europe (the former USSR - andI was drawn to it when I was a child, when travel there was forbidden) Hawaii, New Orleans, Ohio, Savanna GA, Tanzania, Morocco, Iowa, and Monterrey California and Marin County CA. Pretty random I know.

This Rust Belt also attracts me.

I know....Pretty random and weird.

I live in Ohio now. I love it.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:22 PM

1,932 posts, read 1,684,470 times
I am drawn to New Orleans. I have always been drawn to New Orleans, even since I was a little kid. This past year I was finally able to take my frist trip down there, and I was blown away. I'm not kidding when I say that I didn't need to look on google maps, after a few hours in the city, to find my way around. I've traveled to many cities and never once in my life have I gotten accustomed to a city so fast as I did in New Orleans, I felt as if I was re-visiting an old city I used to live in! I'm sure I'm not the only who feels this, but there is something in the air in New Orleans that I can feel (besides the humidity lol). I can't really put a finger on it but it's almost as if once you step foot in new orleans you are stepping foot into a different atmosphere lol, pretty awsome. The vibe of the city feels like no other city on earth in my opinion. Love that city, and I definitely wish to return soon.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:06 AM

1,549 posts, read 663,871 times
NYC, since I was a kid. I think it began when I read Superman & other comics, knowing they were made in New York, Metropolis stood in for New York in the comics. Then later as a teen, a band that I went crazy over, KISS was from there. I've visited once, in 1990. I remember the first night I was there & the people I was with, from my same small town, were all freaked out and refused to go out to have a look around and I just left them, wandered out by myself. I had to soak some of it in. Wound up at a comics shop. Rummaged through boxes of old comics. Being out on the street there on a summer night, it was so great. I think of it often. I daydream about living there but I couldn't afford it.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:30 PM

9,567 posts, read 17,097,764 times
I thought I would love NOLA but when I got there it did nothing for me. It wasn't a total turn off either--just didn't float my boat. that was way back before Katrina.

The one place I was always most drawn to is Ireland and I finally got to go when I was in my forties. I loved every minute of it and as we neared Galway I got more excited. One night, just short of reaching there, I was in a pub and ordered Irish Stew and with my first bite I was completely overcome--it was like the taste of home and I cried. Shortly after that we reached Galway and I hated it! Well maybe not hated it, but it wasn't what I was expecting maybe. Not sure if something bad happened there in another life or if the modern age had ruined it for me or I took ship for America from there in a past life, but I was glad to leave. I got Irish Stew a couple of more times but it wasn't the same. Each region makes it a bit differently so I suspect that's why.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 66 times
New Orleans. The moment I stepped foot into the pavement, I felt at home. I made it a point to visit as much as possible, the last time being literally two days before Katrina hit, and I have not been back since-sadly. I still feel it’s pull.
Just today, by digging into my ancestry, I discovered that between the years of 1840 and 1880, the largest population of people (family) with my Mother’s maiden name resided in Louisiana. With further digging, I also found that to be true on my Fathers side. So, both of my parents ancestors were all in and about Louisiana in the 1840’s up to the 1880’s.
My parents met each other in New York in the late 1960’s.
It’s said that “Soul Homes”, and the theory of, can be contributed to the memories of your ancestors carried over to you, spoken into your soul like a map to the past. In this case, I cannot agree more.
I will go back some day. And when I do, I will be home again.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:27 AM

436 posts, read 124,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I have a love affair with New Orleans and am finally living here after visting about 40-50 times over ten years. Crazy as it sounds, I feel like I have been "called" to come here. I feel as though I am completely at home.

I have had an equally strong reaction in the other direction to Chicago-- I couldn't STAND living there. I got out as soon as I could (after a year). As soon as I saw the skyline, I felt my stomach drop and an overwhelming feeling of dread and doom that I just never shook.

I have read a lot about astrology of place. I am Scorpio with all of my planets in Scorpio through Mars and everything else in water, so yes, I am pretty intuitive (probably too much.) I often get a real sense of place, much like the impression a person makes when you meet them for the first time. Some places intrigue me, some grab me, some repel me. I am curious to hear if anyone else has this sort of reaction, beyond what the usual pragmatic considerations hold. Do you think it has a connection to your sign? Your past lives? Just your general psychological state? What places are you drawn to? What was your experience like if you were in them? How about the places you felt ill at ease in?
YAAASSS!

I am born and raised in Texas, but have felt since I can remember like I "just don't belong". The moment my foot hit the ground in California, it felt like home. I did move to LA for 2 years, but it just wasn't "quite right"...close, but not quite...If I do it again, it will be up the coast somewhere, and probably closer to mountains than ocean, or halfway in between.

I have always felt like - and this is going way out there into woo-woo land, so bear with me - that I was a guy who died of some sort of overdose or related malady and in CA, maybe LA. I also feel like I was a womanizer, either purposely or because of addiction, and did not do right by my kids. My karma is in this life I had parents who did not raise me/ want me, and as a mom I am obsessed with my kids, and arguably, do too much for them. Yes, I digress, but saying that because I believe it is why I am drawn to California- unfinished business, apologies, retribution.

I am Libra with a strong Capricorn rising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal