U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-23-2012, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
11,564 posts, read 14,598,875 times
Reputation: 17927

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Yes it is possible. If you can remote view, there is a possibility that someone in that location can see you.
Remote viewing I think is possible. The military even has had units practicing and experimenting this in several top secret divisions and is a great theory of these sightings. The Montauk project was very prominent in this.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2012, 03:03 PM
 
9,238 posts, read 20,443,796 times
Reputation: 22373
Default I propose that it could happen....

I've often wondered if "residual" or "imprint" hauntings can include images of people who are still alive. A residentual haunting would be unlike an intelligent haunting (this is all in Ghost Hunters' parlance, but they described it pretty well).
In a residual haunting, something so intense and traumatic happened in a place, that images of this event can replay over and over. The images might seem to be "ghosts" but are just imprints of the people involved in the event. Supposedly their feelings were so intense, it left an impression on time & space, and their images might be seen by people in the future. But these "ghosts" can't interact with the living, and seem to have no consciousness. Just imagine a piece of film getting over-exposed due to some intense energy, and an image is forever imprinted on the film. When you have ghosts that can see or interact with or respond to to living people, that's an "intelligent" haunting.

So to make up a generic example:
Let's say a woman found out her husband was killed at war in 1862, and became deeply depressed and killed herself in a house. If a man living there in 2012 sees an image of this woman walking into his room and she looks at him and says "did you serve in the army with my husband?" before vanishing, that would appear to be an intelligent haunting. You might decide that this woman's spirit lingers in the house because of how she died.
But let's say that instead, the man who lives there in 2012 sees an image of this woman standing at the window, looking out and crying, while she holds a knife to her wrist. This image does not seem aware of the man, and every time he sees her image, she is inthe same position, going through the same motions. That would be a residual or imprint haunting. You might decide that the woman's intense grief and despair right before she cut her wrists left an imprint in the house.

So take that to another level. Let's say that in 1987, a young 20 year old woman lived in my house and she learned that her fiance was killed in a car crash. She became overwhelmed with grief and despair, and came close to killing herself. Or let's say she actually attempted to kill herself, cut her wrists, but was rescued in time. You would think that the intensity of her emotions was equivalent to those of the 1862 woman, right? So it's possible that this woman's intense trauma could have left an imprint haunting on my house. Let's say that is the case, and every so often, I hear sobbing and crying in my house, and see the faint image of the young woman about to cut her wrist.

Now let's say that this woman who was 20 in 1987 is still alive, and is now 45, happily married with teenage children. What if I went somewhere and saw her and suddenly realized she looked familiar. I would go up to her and ask, did you ever live at this XYZ address? She might say yes, why? Then I would say, "My house has been haunted for years. By you."

Could be the plot of a cool ghost story or movie, huh? But if you believe in haunting, and you believe that hauntings are not only caused when someone loses their life but can be caused by intense emotions leaving an imprint, then why couldn't there be hauntings by people who are still alive?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Colorado
659 posts, read 887,932 times
Reputation: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I've often wondered if "residual" or "imprint" hauntings can include images of people who are still alive. A residentual haunting would be unlike an intelligent haunting (this is all in Ghost Hunters' parlance, but they described it pretty well).
In a residual haunting, something so intense and traumatic happened in a place, that images of this event can replay over and over. The images might seem to be "ghosts" but are just imprints of the people involved in the event. Supposedly their feelings were so intense, it left an impression on time & space, and their images might be seen by people in the future. But these "ghosts" can't interact with the living, and seem to have no consciousness. Just imagine a piece of film getting over-exposed due to some intense energy, and an image is forever imprinted on the film. When you have ghosts that can see or interact with or respond to to living people, that's an "intelligent" haunting.

So to make up a generic example:
Let's say a woman found out her husband was killed at war in 1862, and became deeply depressed and killed herself in a house. If a man living there in 2012 sees an image of this woman walking into his room and she looks at him and says "did you serve in the army with my husband?" before vanishing, that would appear to be an intelligent haunting. You might decide that this woman's spirit lingers in the house because of how she died.
But let's say that instead, the man who lives there in 2012 sees an image of this woman standing at the window, looking out and crying, while she holds a knife to her wrist. This image does not seem aware of the man, and every time he sees her image, she is inthe same position, going through the same motions. That would be a residual or imprint haunting. You might decide that the woman's intense grief and despair right before she cut her wrists left an imprint in the house.

So take that to another level. Let's say that in 1987, a young 20 year old woman lived in my house and she learned that her fiance was killed in a car crash. She became overwhelmed with grief and despair, and came close to killing herself. Or let's say she actually attempted to kill herself, cut her wrists, but was rescued in time. You would think that the intensity of her emotions was equivalent to those of the 1862 woman, right? So it's possible that this woman's intense trauma could have left an imprint haunting on my house. Let's say that is the case, and every so often, I hear sobbing and crying in my house, and see the faint image of the young woman about to cut her wrist.

Now let's say that this woman who was 20 in 1987 is still alive, and is now 45, happily married with teenage children. What if I went somewhere and saw her and suddenly realized she looked familiar. I would go up to her and ask, did you ever live at this XYZ address? She might say yes, why? Then I would say, "My house has been haunted for years. By you."

Could be the plot of a cool ghost story or movie, huh? But if you believe in haunting, and you believe that hauntings are not only caused when someone loses their life but can be caused by intense emotions leaving an imprint, then why couldn't there be hauntings by people who are still alive?
I think we can. I believe the living are more capable of haunting a building than someone who is deceased.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 06:03 PM
 
1,873 posts, read 2,687,420 times
Reputation: 5682
Great discussion!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
11,564 posts, read 14,598,875 times
Reputation: 17927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
I think we can. I believe the living are more capable of haunting a building than someone who is deceased.
True. people can be as strange and unpredictable as the Paranormal many times.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 07:02 PM
 
51 posts, read 78,217 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
That's interesting; I've had the same thing happen to me. One of my home's previous owners (twice removed) showed up on my doorstep only a couple days after I moved in and two more times over the last few years unnanounced with some random excuse to be there. He hadn't lived there since the 90's but I could tell he was still carrying an obsession over the place, and my neighbors told me he really was obsessed with the house when he lived there.

I'm kinda embarassed to admit it, but I've become a bit obsessive about the place too, and the owners before that guy in the 70's and 80's were apparently in love with it and were heartbroken to loose it after a business failure and repo. It's also haunted... Perhaps there is a connection?
Can you share more details about it being haunted?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 08:59 AM
 
1,873 posts, read 2,687,420 times
Reputation: 5682
This thread is going in a direction which relates to my situation. I own an old adobe home built by the Ferguson family in 1925. I know the history because when I first bought it in 1977, the original owner/widow, would come to visit me and tell me about the house. It went thru a fire in the 60's, was rebuilt without benefit of insurance funds, husband dies a few years later, she sells the house, new owners trash it. I buy it and intend to some day, restore it. Immediately, the house is extremely haunted, by I believe, the enraged original builder, Mr Ferguson. It takes me years to convince him, the ghost, I am not going to trash his home further. He calms down but is still there. I do the remodel, it is gorgeous, and suddenly the house becomes extremely haunted!

I actually have witnesses to the activity, call in professional paranormal investigator, we get valid measurements of activity, 3 'sensitives' agree in general that there are at least 4 spirits. It seems, perhaps, the entire dead Ferguson family has moved back in, as incredible as it sounds. The energy is extreme - many of my guests feel it, some even see things. It is so bad, I cannot sleep in my newly constructed 2nd storey, master suite. It is as if someone is staring at me intensely all the time.

So..... I need to do something about this. As an atheist, I feel lilke a moron calling in a priest. Doesn't seem ethical. But, the house is so uncomfortable, despite its beauty. I hope when I die, I don't hang around here also since I love the home, felt it was 'my house' the moment I laid eyes on it years ago, etc. So are we attracted to homes where we were happy and in another dimension, do we continue to live with our loved ones in that home?

Any ideas?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,145 posts, read 20,429,922 times
Reputation: 14042
Quote:
Originally Posted by canvasart View Post
Can you share more details about it being haunted?
I posted the story around here somewhere before but here's the "Reader's Digest version":

I've always wanted to restore a historic home; so when the market was hot back in 2006 we sold our "new" 2001 house and started looking.

We found a very beautiful prairie style bungalow in a great neighborhood; it was on the National Historic Register, in a great neighborhood and in almost entirely original condition. It was unoccupied at the time and had been on the market for almost a year, which was surprising given how hot the market was and how nice it was. We even gave a crazy lowball offer (40K below asking price) and the old owners took it! I asked to meet with them to ask questions about the house but they refused... I never did meet them.

Since then we've had a laundry list of strange happenings, including poltergeist activity and even full body apparations. Here'e a few of the highlights:

Only a couple nights after moving in, I walked down the hall from one side of the house to to another; as I passed light bulbs starting going out; one in the bathroom, the other bedroom, the kitchen and finally breakfast nook. I thought maybe I had inherited a serious wiring problem but it never happened again.

Not too long after I was in the tub; my wife opened the door to talk to me and I could see a small figure of a girl behind her. I thought it was my daughter (who was 5 at the time). I told my wife to keep out daughter out so she wouldn't see me but when she turned around nobody was there. My daughter was in the front room watching TV.

After that I awoke in the middle of the night to see the same figure of a girl standing in my bedroom doorway looking at me; after a few seconds she turned around and ran down the hall. I literally catapulted out of bed and down the hall after her, but nobody was there. My kids were all fast asleep.

The third time I saw her I was down in the boiler room where I had set up a place to build a model submarine. I heard little footsteps comming down the stairs above and to the right of me and saw a figure out of the corner of my eye. I turned around and saw here plain as day like a real person for just a second and then she wasn't there... like bad movie editing when something is there in a film and then just isn't.

In between the second and third sighting of the little girl I made contact with the elderly son of the original owner, who still lived in town (sadly he passed away this year). I knew the original owner's daughter died in 1918 because it was in the NHR paperwork, but I found out she died in the house. They also let me take home some pictures to scan; there was a picture of the girl just a few months before she died and I instantly recognized her as the "ghost", even down to the bobbed hair and white dress with puffy sleeves. It was a real "Twilight Zone" moment. My family and I also went to find her grave in the local cementary; it wasn't huge (maybe a couple hundred graves) and I didn't know where here grave was but I stopped the car in the middle of the cemetary, got out literally walked straight to it like I had known where it was without even thinking about it. It was really weird.

A couple of times things moved on their own; once I was laying on the couch in the front room and watched the curtain scoot maybe 2 feet aross the curtain rod on it's own. Another time the bathroom vanity closed on it's own against gravity while I was standing in front of it, and another time the shampoo cap shot off the bottle and into my bath. It was screwed on and not under pressure.

Once I was home alone playing Xbox on a Saturday during the daytime when I heard a huge crash come from the bedrooms, like somebody had literally dumped over a china cabinet full of china. I searched the whole house; even the attic and crawlspace as well as outside but could find no source for the noise.

And it isn't just me; once I came home after a night school class to find my wife in a panic; she had heard the back door open and steps cross the kitchen and assumed it was me. But when she went in the kitchen to greet me, nobody was there. I arrived maybe 20 min later.

My son came screaming into our room one night in terror; he said he heard footsteps comming up the basement stairs (the same place I saw the ghost) which were right next to that room.

Finally, while this may not be paranormal my ghost hunter friends and I tried to do a ghost hunt there earlier this summer.

We usually put out a K2 meter with the button held on and start asking questions to try to get a response. We got no K2 responses, but I was quickly overwhelmed by feelings of discomfort, anger and even betrayal. As illogical as it sounds I got the strong impression the house was angry at me for trying to do a ghost hunt there. It was an overwhelming feeling.

I don't know what is going on there, I used to think haunting reports were psychological problems and/or outright lies, but now I know there is more to it...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 PM
 
1,714 posts, read 3,394,018 times
Reputation: 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I actually have witnesses to the activity, call in professional paranormal investigator, we get valid measurements of activity, 3 'sensitives' agree in general that there are at least 4 spirits.

So..... I need to do something about this. As an atheist, I feel lilke a moron calling in a priest. Doesn't seem ethical. But, the house is so uncomfortable, despite its beauty. I hope when I die, I don't hang around here also since I love the home, felt it was 'my house' the moment I laid eyes on it years ago, etc.
So--you are an atheist, but you hired a paranormal investigator, agreed that there are spirits in your house, and feel you shouldn't haunt your own house after you die... but also somehow you are too ashamed to call a priest for help?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 PM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,418 posts, read 9,127,933 times
Reputation: 6053
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
True. people can be as strange and unpredictable as the Paranormal many times.
Perhaps you also might have heard about the idea that hauntings and poltergeists may actually be due to telekinetic energy from nearby pubescent and teenage girls, who very often seem to be present or otherwise associated with the type of events in question. The theory is that their life force, chi energy, psychic abilities, whatever, may be especially intense at that time in their life in which there's also a lot of emotional turmoil going on within them... which of course gets projected and expressed in these "phenomena".
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top