Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 08:30 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times

Advertisements

Nearly every thread in this forum is concerned with either ghosts, hauntings, possessions, mediums, "spirits", past-lives, and UFOs. While definitely paranormal, there are very few posts dealing with other mysteries. Seriously, do we need yet another thread discussing mediums?

When I was 12 or so I was really into this sort of weird stuff. I remember reading a story about how a 5-ton wrecking ball went missing. The demolition crew came in to work one morning and the ball was just gone. Supposedly there was no evidence of someone coming in and stealing the ball. I later came across another version, that the ball was only 2 1/2 tons. Realistically, the ball was more-than-likely stolen. If you search newspaper archives from around July 17th, 1973, you will see that this was a real incident reported in the news.

Also around that time I read of another story concerning a piece of rock x-rayed by some geologists. Inside the rock they found a modern [automobile] piston. Supposedly carbon dating placed the piston at 50,000 years old. Or something like that. I have yet to come across this story since but did come across another story involving an aluminum anvil found buried under sand that was dated to be 11,000 years old. This story originates from 1974. It is interesting, if true, because aluminum was discovered in 1808, yet was not fully made into an alloy until later in the 1800s.

Then there is training Flight 19, the torpedo-bomber squadron that disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle in 1945. This and disappearances of Naval vessels in the Bermuda Triangle can be found in official Naval Historical archives. The Navy chalks up the missing Flight 19 to inclement weather, rough seas, inexperienced crew, and potential radio interference from Cuban radio towers. One of the best explanations I have come across regarding the Bermuda Triangle is the possible existence of methane pockets underneath the ocean floor, that when released, would cause a ship to lose buoyancy and sink as the methane would cause the water to become momentarily less dense. The area within the Triangle is one of the most heavily trafficked in the world in terms of boating and air flight (largely recreational). The official stance by the Navy and USGS is that "more traffic means more accidents". The USGS does mention the occasional oil rig that has sunk when the drill hit a methane pocket.

Anyways, there are more stories out there.

What do you got?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Are you talking about the spark plug in the geode (the Cosos artifact)? It was proven to be a hoax.

I think the whole Bermuda Triangle thing was an artifact of the 60-70's... it never really had a higher rate of sinkings/disappearances than other spots on the ocean that experience heavy traffic.

The most credible explanation I've heard about flight 19 is that they got turned around ended up either ditching in the gulf of Mexico (outside the search area) or even crashing within the Everglades.

I guess we focus so much on Ghosts/Aliens because they haven't been adequately explained, unlike many other paranormal subjects.

I've been reading a few things on Bigfoot lately; it's something I've always written off as impossible but there are some interesting and compelling evidence/accounts to the contrary. There's a whole world of Cryptozoology themed stuff out there... really interesting too!

Coral Castle has always been interesting to me and I still don't think it has been explained adequately. There are mysterious ruins of very advanced construction in the Peru/Bolivia area too (Puma Punku is the best in my opinion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal