U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Near Nashville TN
7,201 posts, read 13,016,964 times
Reputation: 5405

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

My computer totally crashed last year, so I do not have that picture. So, no, I cannot post it. I am very MAD that this, and other things, are gone with the computer. Lesson learned.
Get a copy from the people you sent it to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2013, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 14,724,099 times
Reputation: 10066
To prove it to a scientist it have to be something that's repeatable under laboratory conditions - over and over again. And a ghost or demon is not going to be willing or able to do that.

I do think some people are more attuned to spirituality then others, my mother and grandmother claim to be but i don't think I am in any way special other then that I do believe and can't understand why others do not. I think anyone can hear or feel a ghost but funny feelings and noises can be explained away in so many ways. I think most ghosts are just doomed souls forced to dwell and roam/patrol a certain area with little to no conscious of people around them. When people get attacked or stuff gets pushed around in a more malevolent way I think less of ghosts and more of demons.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
76 posts, read 117,734 times
Reputation: 252
I haven't read through the whole thread but I thought I'd reply anyway.

No "ghost hunter" would ever be motivated to scientifically prove or disprove anything. For the same reason as organized religion and the church; the framework of superstition is already in place, and if you know how to manipulate it the financial returns can be quite lucrative.

Educating people does not make you rich or keep you in power. Keeping them in the dark, frightened and scared, however, has worked for centuries.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2014, 12:49 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,012 times
Reputation: 10
Ghost? The dead? Spirits?…..I find it hard to believe that when a person dies, and the come back from the dead to haunt, that their clothes from the era, or what they were last wearing comes through in their ghostly image. A face, or a blackness, or orb, sounds more likely than an apparition returning in full civil war uniform, why would in -animate objects follow through with the body.. Actually to me if there are energies that come through as human like, they are of demons and angels. Demons would likely not like to show themselves, for those who sees demons, see god….i mean if i knew i witnessed a demon…..that would mean that there probably is a god….and if i was to choose sides it would be with god….mostly because of his past record…..and demons are trying to debunk god, not to prove an existence of one……so i think all ghost are just an over active imagination…..i have done everything possible to bring froth something and went spooky places to witness the paranormal….and i aint never seen shi*
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2014, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
6,933 posts, read 8,637,905 times
Reputation: 8718
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon kane View Post
Ghost? The dead? Spirits?…..I find it hard to believe that when a person dies, and the come back from the dead to haunt, that their clothes from the era, or what they were last wearing comes through in their ghostly image. A face, or a blackness, or orb, sounds more likely than an apparition returning in full civil war uniform, why would in -animate objects follow through with the body.. Actually to me if there are energies that come through as human like, they are of demons and angels. Demons would likely not like to show themselves, for those who sees demons, see god….i mean if i knew i witnessed a demon…..that would mean that there probably is a god….and if i was to choose sides it would be with god….mostly because of his past record…..and demons are trying to debunk god, not to prove an existence of one……so i think all ghost are just an over active imagination…..i have done everything possible to bring froth something and went spooky places to witness the paranormal….and i aint never seen shi*



Things do not happen at a given time, nor do they happen just because you want them to happen.

Bob.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2014, 08:30 PM
 
2,321 posts, read 2,278,629 times
Reputation: 3845
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I know that what I saw was real. No doubt in my mind. And it was not a living, breathing person. I call it ''ghost'', ''spirit'', whatever.
I just revisited this thread, and I believe you 100 percent. I may not have been clear in my last post; I meant to say that your experience, because it was subjective (as in only seen/experienced by you), will make it impossible to prove to another person that what you saw was real. I believe you when you say you saw it. I wish I had! I just don't think I have the ability to see ghosts, and since I was 8, I've been on the lookout -- no joke.

I've always wondered what it feels like emotionally, mentally, physically, etc., to have that experience. I know it's one you'll likely never forget.

At any rate, I meant to validate your point, not challenge it whatsoever. I believe ya, man!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2014, 11:03 PM
 
4,178 posts, read 3,068,979 times
Reputation: 8045
The answer is no. We live in an age when EVERYONE is walking around with a camera in their cell phone, and yet not one single case of haunting has been proven objectively real.

It is never going to be proven.

Skeptics will say that the reason is that it is all bogus. Believers will always come up with their reasons (ghosts can't be photographed; what would a ghost look line anyway; the supernatural only manifests for some, etc).

I am sure it is obvious which side I am on, so let me say with the deepest respect to both sides that for practical reasons we can answer this question "no" and move on.

In fact, I will go a step farther and say that skeptics and believers should not even talk about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 05:08 PM
 
Location: las vegas, nv
7 posts, read 10,885 times
Reputation: 27
Just because a blind man can not see color, does not mean color does not exist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2014, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,985 posts, read 3,585,715 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I had a friend once who told me some intriguing tales about the paranormal. He was a fellow university classmate, quite a bit older than me, and I actually found the fact he was so into spiritualism/the paranormal/ghosts a bit surprising since he seemed like such a rationalistic, scientific person.

Anyway he treated the existence of ghosts as fact. He said he'd often see them/or experienced them, including that of his deceased grandmother. I asked if I too could see them, and asked if he'd take me to see some of these ghosts. I forgot what he said but i don't think he thought i was serious.

Anyway, if ghosts cannot be seen by everyone, how can one be sure they are not in the mind of the one seeing them? If a skeptic paid a ghost hunter $1 million to prove the existence of ghosts, why has nobody collected the money yet? If it's a case of 'how much you believe in it' than it'll be impossible to prove.
You will never understand why those who believe do, until you experience it yourself. I can safely say that some paranormal experiences can be absolutely world-shattering. A friend and I had an intense paranormal experience years ago that permanently changed my word view.

More recently, my wife and I bought a house that has very odd things occur in it. We hear music and muffled voices in the basement in the middle of the night, the dog growls and invisible threats, doors seemingly turn their own knobs and open of their own accord, televisions turn on by themselves, phantom footsteps are heard walking around, etc. It was kind of freaky when we first moved in, but now it just seems a normal part of living there. I should add that the activity increases at certain times then goes dormant for a while (it does seem to get more active around Christmas for whatever reason).

You may be extremely skeptical about our experiences, but that really isn't my concern. I honestly couldn't care less if you believe in the paranormal or not. I know it's real, and that's all that really matters to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
We live in an age when EVERYONE is walking around with a camera in their cell phone, and yet not one single case of haunting has been proven objectively real.
LOL. So what's your excuse why virtually every crime isn't recorded as it happens by multiple witnesses with these same cell phones? Not to mention, even if authentic footage of paranormal activity was recorded, you'd just be screaming that it was fake anyways. It really is a stupid point, to be perfectly honest.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2014, 08:24 PM
 
13,619 posts, read 22,245,876 times
Reputation: 24424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
LOL. So what's your excuse why virtually every crime isn't recorded as it happens by multiple witnesses with these same cell phones? Not to mention, even if authentic footage of paranormal activity was recorded, you'd just be screaming that it was fake anyways. It really is a stupid point, to be perfectly honest.
I once heard a saying -- for some, any evidence is enough to prove the point, and for some, there is no evidence that can prove the point.

While this is sort of off topic, after a big gala, some big stars got onto an elevator with a bodyguard and someone else and one woman started attacking the guy star. I saw the video. Okay -- it was Jay Z, Beyoncé, and her sister Solange, and a bodyguard. It was standard elevator cam, with TMZ stamped all over it. The comments were amazing -- from clearly deluded people.

There are CLEARLY FIVE people in the elevator. The bodyguard is holding back Solange who's pummelling and kicking at JayZ. Beyoncé is staying out of it and crowded into the corner. The other person is on the other side of the elevator also staying out of it. JayZ is NOT doing anything back that I could see -- he's taking the beating, and the body guard grabs Solange from behind and pins her arms to her sides and pulls her away so no kicks find their mark.

The comment that I read from a few people -- why is Solange riding an elevator all alone with Jay Z anyway? A fair number of people didn't see Beyoncé at all. I don't think it's a case of them NOT watching the tape..... I think they are seeing what they want to see.

I see that on message boards. Saw a message about a news article -- a bank put money into an account in error, and the kid spent it thinking finders keepers. The bank pressed charges for theft, I think. The poster was stunned anyone would spend the money. After about 30 posts it devolved into calling the OP a thief. People had added onto the story something fierce, and none of what they added was TRUE, but it became gospel.

We all have different belief levels. I know a lady that will believe anything anyone tells her, and spends her life in terror from it. I also know someone that doesn't believe ANYTHING except what she sees for herself, and walks around with blinders on so she doesn't have to change her positions on anything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top