U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 12:36 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,091,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
My answer to your post can be summed up in one sentence, that being, the human mind is neither programmed or equipped to be witness to these things you are asking, with a few exceptions.
First off, ghost are real, even though we can't see them, but we can experience spirit activity.
Let's face it, if you saw a set of keys floating in the air, not only would you be amazed, but you would have a sense of fright as well, not knowing the circumstances of just how this is happening.
You would instinctively wonder what is next.
Could I be in danger?
Some people claim they have seen spirits.
I for one do not believe that is possible.
Others like myself are able to communicate verbally with spirits, but there are those who believe that is not possible.
I can only say that unless you have experienced what many believe is a paranormal event, you don't have any tangible evidence to base an opinion one way or the other.
Over the years I have been witness to events that could be nothing other than paranormal.
Some of them defy human understanding, and logic, but they did indeed happen.
I believe what it boils down too is, some are more progressed in our ability to not only communicate, but to know and understand when a particular event happens.
Many take a speculative look at events when reading about them, because they feel they have never experienced anything paranormal.
Most people would not recognize a paranormal event because they are not "tuned in" to events beyond their daily thinking.
Paranormal things are all around us, all the time, but most people need to develop the senses within to fully understand when they occur.
Bob.
Thanks for your reply bob. But I still believe it is all in the mind of the person. It easy for those who want to believe something to say, they have some special capability or skill. But gostnhunters go around all the time trying their hardest to get proof to show to the world. But they never get any. It would be easy for any ghost to prove to anyone beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were real....but they never do. If a psychic was in a room with a bunch of true believers and relayed that a ghost was going to pick up objects and don't be frightened, then everyone would be prepared and not scared. But those things never happen. People go to seances wanting to hear or see spirits, so they wouldn't be afraid to see something supernatural happen.

There are people who say that God himself speaks to them in an audible voice. They say others don't hear it because God has chosen them or they have some special gift, etc. people contend that they see and hear all kinds of things that others don't, and of course it's always because they have some special intuitiveness or gift that others don't. I just think that is an easy copout. I can say I see pink unicorns in my yard and others don't because I have a special connection. How can anyone disagree when I can always just say.....you don't have that special intuitiveness. There are just too many ways for ghost to show themselves in a tangible way other than some invisible, subjective, unseen, left up to the eye of the beholder, indiscernable way.

I believe in a spirit world and afterlife. But I don't believe that ghost actually try to communicate with physical human beings. Over the millineum none have ever shown the world that are communicating with us in a very real and discernable way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 09:08 AM

7,478 posts, read 6,315,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
This is not to diminish or challenge your experience, but just to offer another explanation. Is it possible that it felt wrong because you were aware of what had happened there? It seems the atmosphere or our knowledge of a place increases our perception of it being haunted or having "bad vibes". You almost never hear of a brand new house being haunted, or a fancy office building; it is almost always an old farmhouse, an abandoned property, or an historic graveyard -- things we associate with death, creepiness, and the heebie-jeebies. I think our brains are very powerful, and certain places can trigger perceptions that are likely enhanced or given extra attention.
That probably was part of it, but still... the place just felt strange, wrong, and very creepy in a way that is difficult to describe and doesn't match anything I've felt before. I've been to smaller Revolutionary War battlefields before, common graveyards, and no doubt to other places visited by death, but Gettysburg was in a weird league of its own when it came to how the place felt. Maybe it was nothing, but it sure felt strange when I was there.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:57 AM

10,553 posts, read 8,686,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
In my view, I reserve judgment unless I can conclusively prove otherwise. That's how a statistical analysis works. You make no conclusion until your null hypothesis can be disproved. But that's certainly not the approach science (on the whole) takes with most paranormal topics. Interesting how science is so selective with its techniques, eh?

The question is not whether I can prove to you that ghosts exist--it's whether you can prove to me they don't. And never seeing something is not proof of its non-existence in any field of science... save the paranormal, seemingly.
It's not that you make no conclusion until your null hypothesis is disproved.

It's that you assume there is no relationship between two variables, unless it can be proven beyond a certain probability that there is.

The null hypothesis cannot be applied to never having seen or experienced or measured something.

A few people have set up experiments in which they told someone close to them that if they ever tried to communicate after death that they would communicate a given word, and it's never happened yet to my knowledge. Supposedly Houdini did that, and his widow never did receive a message with that code word.

It's like that medium show on TV with Theresa. I have to admit that watching it is compelling, but why is it all of the spirits communicate the same platitudes like: "don't blame yourself, you did the best you could, I didn't suffer." Why is it never something like, "I left a bond in your name in the left-hand drawer of my desk, so go and cash it."

Old 05-31-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I've posted about it several times before over the last few years... somewhere in those 9,500 posts.

But in a nushell I moved into a historic house back in 2006 and promptly started experiencing weird stuff, from strange noises, weird lights, stuff moving around by itself and seeing the "ghost" of what appears to be the 5 year old girl who died here in 1918 on three occasions.

My wife and children have their own experiences too. I'm an otherwise borderline atheist-agnostic with an Anthropology degree and and fairly "scientific" mindset; not the kind of person who normally sees "ghosts".
I have many problems with ghost-sightings.

One is, why are they always wearing clothes? If they're spirits, energy,whatever, why do they need shoes and clothing?

Why are they always from the recent past? Humans have existed for thousands of years, so if there were ghosts, we would be surrounded by them. They'd be on ever square foot of space on this planet.

Why are ghosts always "caught" on someone's poor quality shaky hand-held video device, always in the distance? Never on a good camera, HD, close-up?

Why has no one, ever, under controlled laboratory conditions been able to "produce" a ghost or any evidence of one?

Last edited by ellemint; 05-31-2014 at 11:32 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Once you see a ghost, you will never doubt their existence again. You also won't care what others think because you will find that most won't believe you until they see or experience for themselves.

I've lived with ghost animals and an eldely female ghost. I saw shadows of a ghost cat in an apartment as my first actual ''sighting''. I saw my only full body, 3 dimensional totally real looking lady ghost over 10 years ago and I still second guess that one, but it happened. There's no real convincing anyone about that one.

Once you know, you will be more open and have more experiences. It's all in being spiritually receptive, I think.
Were you wide awake when you saw the 3-dimensional ghost? Or were you half-asleep or just had woken up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal