Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:57 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,139,721 times

Advertisements

Yep, I've felt this. Turns out it was a wife fart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM

25,215 posts, read 18,382,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Yep, I've felt this. Turns out it was a wife fart.
Eh, unless I am married to a ghost (which I wouldn't really be opposed to if she were kind, adorable, romantic, etc, and didn't snore too loud), that isn't it. It's a single bed and nobody in the bed except me.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 AM

119 posts, read 171,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
Has anyone had this experience? You're sleeping and you're bed starts shaking like there's an earthquake, you wake up, it continues shaking then stops. You ask your family or people in the house about the earthquake, and they tell you there was no earthquake.
Thank god I'm not the only one that experiences this. Its freaky.
It normally wakes me up and then continues for a minute or two after I'm awake. Nobody else notices it. I've even woken my spouse as its happening and she doesn't feel it.
It tends to happen more often when I'm in bed alone. I've never felt it when I'm banished to the other bedrooms or the couch.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:54 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,871,227 times
Temporal lobe epilepsy. It's very common, can give you the sensation that you and your bed is shaking, and typical occurs as you fall asleep or suddenly awake. It may feel "real", but it's because your brain is unable to disconnect from the seizure.

It's harmless, even though it sounds like it's not. Just roll with it, in time, it should go away.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:04 PM

6,905 posts, read 6,791,648 times
Tell me, does this epilepsy also give you out-of-body-episodes too? What percentage of the population get this epilepsy? Do you think it could possibly be that scientists and researchers like to give labels to things and then explain them away as a 'syndrome' or similar?

It seems that it DOES give you OOBEs look...wikipedia quote

Quote:
Simple Partial Seizures (SPS) involve small areas of the temporal lobe such as the amygdala or the hippocampus. The term "simple" means that consciousness is not altered. In temporal lobe epilepsy SPS usually only cause sensations. These sensations may be mnestic such as déjà vu (a feeling of familiarity), jamais vu (a feeling of unfamiliarity), a specific single or set of memories, or amnesia. The sensations may be auditory such as a sound or tune, gustatory such as a taste, or olfactory such as a smell that is not physically present. Sensations can also be visual, involve feelings on the skin or in the internal organs. The latter feelings may seem to move over the body. Psychic sensations can occur such as an out-of-body feeling. Dysphoric or euphoric feelings, fear, anger, and other sensations can also occur during SPS. Often, it is hard for persons with SPS of TLE to describe the feeling. SPS are often called "auras" by lay persons who mistake them for a warning sign of a subsequent seizure. In fact, they are actual seizures in and of themselves. Persons experiencing only SPS may not recognize what they are or seek medical advice about them. SPS may or may not progress to the seizure types listed below.
I tell you what, there must be a heck of a lot of people with these syndromes all deluding themselves that they are having spiritual experiences.

Actually, anything which affects the brain can probably cause us to feel unusual things. Then we go and think it is caused by something else whereas really it is caused by a disease which needs to be "treated" and medications paid for. We all know that that means more profit for the medical insurance companies and pharmacuticals. Lucky old them. Poor old us.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 PM

25,215 posts, read 18,382,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Temporal lobe epilepsy. It's very common, can give you the sensation that you and your bed is shaking, and typical occurs as you fall asleep or suddenly awake. It may feel "real", but it's because your brain is unable to disconnect from the seizure.

It's harmless, even though it sounds like it's not. Just roll with it, in time, it should go away.
I'm a firm believer in many "paranormal" sorts of things. But, in this case, I can accept this as a possible cause. When it has happened to me, I've never felt on edge, nervous, scared, or that "evil" is upon me. It has always been just a simple shaking sensation -- no feelings of being "possessed" or anything so dramatic.

There are certain things that have happened in my years on this planet that I know are paranormal. This shaking thing is not necessarily one of them. So, as you say, I've "rolled with it" (literally! ). Now if I'd seen my dead great grandmother at the foot of the bed, shaking it and waving her finger at me... well, I'd probably be more inclined to pay it more heed. But it hasn't really ever been a big deal. Just... some shaking.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:59 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,146,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Never happened. Not to me or anyone in my family past of present. Not even in any of my friends or acquaintances, past and present.
Of course! It's always someone else who claims these strange experiences but never yourself. NJ2MDude suggested setting up a video camera. That would be a great documentation, yet, no-one else seems to think so. At least by not saying so. People believe what they want to believe with or without the evidence.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,051,521 times
I've had this sensation too; twice. It's not really "shaking" so much (at least in my experiences) but rather more of a strange vibration.

The first time, I was asleep and it woke me up. I assumed it was just a train or large vehicle and went back to sleep. The next morning, I realized that anything large enough to shake the ground would have made noise and I didn't remember hearing any. I asked my roommate if she felt it and she said no (but she was asleep too - it happened at like 2:30-3:00am). I checked the earthquake center and there was no real seismic activity in the area but there was a small earthquake way up in Augusta. Thing is that the earthquake there was so small that most people directly above it didn't even feel it.

The 2nd time it happened I was wide awake. It was late morning but I was still lounging around in bed relaxing. I felt the exact same vibration start again so I yelled out to my roommate again and that time she was feeling it too out in the kitchen. Didn't hear any trains or trucks outside either. I don't know what it was. I remember my roommate posted on Facebook though seeing if there was a small earthquake or if anyone else felt it.

It felt almost like a pulsing vibration coming up through the floor. A high velocity vibration at that (like what a cell phone gives off when the ringer is turned off).

Here's a thread I posted in the Atlanta forum after the first one:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...und-shake.html

Last edited by Adric; 01-17-2013 at 01:46 AM..

Old 05-05-2013, 05:03 AM

1 posts, read 44,865 times
As a teenager I had this happen to me often! I was in bed and getting ready to sleep but still awake, and my bed would shake! I was NOT dreaming, it happened @ a few dozen times. It hadn't happened it 20+ years untill it recently happened again. I also had an experience around the same time, like someone had their hand under my pillow and was easily pushing it and my head up maybe a half inch! I have to believe it is something paranormal or not in this world. If its a spirit of some type, I wish I could see it or confirm it! PS: I have also have had severe anxiety at one time in my life for maybe a year, and had many out of body experiences in that time! However: I do not feel these are related!

Old 05-06-2013, 06:47 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,910,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWoodard View Post
As a teenager I had this happen to me often! I was in bed and getting ready to sleep but still awake, and my bed would shake! I was NOT dreaming, it happened @ a few dozen times. It hadn't happened it 20+ years untill it recently happened again. I also had an experience around the same time, like someone had their hand under my pillow and was easily pushing it and my head up maybe a half inch! I have to believe it is something paranormal or not in this world. If its a spirit of some type, I wish I could see it or confirm it! PS: I have also have had severe anxiety at one time in my life for maybe a year, and had many out of body experiences in that time! However: I do not feel these are related!
Yeah, those are related. An average normal person doesn't have any of those experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal