Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:25 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,182 times

Advertisements

Just a thought here guys. If we believe in houses being haunted were there was a violent death how come there is no talk of this on roads where there have been tragic multi death accidents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 01:36 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,326,864 times
personally, I don't believe in ghosts but so many people do and would never be able to live in a house where someone died. I know lots of homes have had people die in them but to someone that's not comfortable and maybe scared of anything to do with death, it's probably important that they know..

Old 01-18-2013, 01:41 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
personally, I don't believe in ghosts but so many people do and would never be able to live in a house where someone died. I know lots of homes have had people die in them but to someone that's not comfortable and maybe scared of anything to do with death, it's probably important that they know..
Well, then, those people need to live in new construction; otherwise there's no way you can ever be sure that someone hasn't died in that house.

And to ask a home seller to speculate about who has or hasn't died in a 100-year-old house is just plain ridiculous.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:30 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,071,383 times
Most of the houses for sale in my neighborhood are estate sales. I know at least one of the previous owners died here. In a way I take that as a compliment that he chose to stay here his entire life.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,114 times
My house has a colorful history, built in the early 1900s it never had long term ownership until the 1950s when the last family moved in. The mother killed herself in the house, the father was a nasty old man who left it to his daughter who was all sorts of dysfunctional...and now we live here, yay!

When we were house hunting we saw a few houses that had that "heavy" feeling in it, but this house always felt neutral. Although a few strange things have happened, I could explain them (wind, old pipes, etc) so I guess it isn't haunted...it doesn't feel haunted.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,043 times
probably not; even though i don't believe in ghosts or anything paranormal, still wouldn't be there, I do believe areas have positive or negative energy so if I knew someone died there it may have a negative effect physically and definitely would have a negative effect psychologically, so my answer is no I would not live there.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:29 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,450,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Would you move into a house where someone had just died.... I did 14 years ago.. I already knew the woman had died but thought in hospital.... I loved the flat.. it was bright and airy with good neighbours but I hated being alone in it... and hated going back in when Id been out when I was on my own..... I had noticed a split piece of wood down the side of the outside door and asked the council so fix it... a girl from the housing came out , looked at it and said they didnt repair that type of damage...... I asked her what she meant.... and she said..... that the firemen had to break down the door to get in when the woman inside had died in her sleep.... I froze to the spot...... oh I wish I hadnt asked... then the next door neighbour who was the womans best friend kept referring to Bettys house as if she was still there..... it really creeped me out....After a month in the house we had redecorated and were waiting on new carpets arriving , so myself and my hubby started to roll up the old living room carpet... it was great quality and weighed a ton..... right in the centre of the carpet was a passport.... I looked at it and my husband openeded it...... he said it was an older woman...... I told him to put it in the bin as I didnt want to see her face....things were fine for a few months but I still didnt feel right.....then some things started to happen.... not just when I was alone.. when my husband and sons were watching late night TV too.... I never saw anything...but felt a presence, but IM sure that woman wanted her house back.... and no matter what I did to make the house cosy it was always cold... I moved to another house and never been happier, never feel that horrible feeling as if Im being watched..... It seems that estate agents dont have to tell buyers about the history of a house.. even if a murders been committed, I wonder though if this is true...
Please do not be alarmed...we live in a house where someone died of natural causes and we "share" her house with her with pride. What is wrong with living in a home where someone was so content, so happy, so at peace that this is where they want their earthly presence to remain???? We even tell her to "go to bed" when we are tired and she is causing the motion detector to react. Have lived here for almost 4 yrs now, and this New Years Eve us and neighbors toasted her being there with us in "spirit". It is not those that have passed you need to worry about hon...they do you no harm. It is those that are here, with weapons and ill intent you need to be concerned about!

Old 01-19-2013, 05:32 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:
Would you move into a house where someone had just died.... I did 14 years ago.. I already knew the woman had died but thought in hospital.... I loved the flat.. it was bright and airy with good neighbours but I hated being alone in it... and hated going back in when Id been out when I was on my own..... I had noticed a split piece of wood down the side of the outside door and asked the council so fix it... a girl from the housing came out , looked at it and said they didnt repair that type of damage...... I asked her what she meant.... and she said..... that the firemen had to break down the door to get in when the woman inside had died in her sleep.... I froze to the spot...... oh I wish I hadnt asked... then the next door neighbour who was the womans best friend kept referring to Bettys house as if she was still there..... it really creeped me out....After a month in the house we had redecorated and were waiting on new carpets arriving , so myself and my hubby started to roll up the old living room carpet... it was great quality and weighed a ton..... right in the centre of the carpet was a passport.... I looked at it and my husband openeded it...... he said it was an older woman...... I told him to put it in the bin as I didnt want to see her face....things were fine for a few months but I still didnt feel right.....then some things started to happen.... not just when I was alone.. when my husband and sons were watching late night TV too.... I never saw anything...but felt a presence, but IM sure that woman wanted her house back.... and no matter what I did to make the house cosy it was always cold... I moved to another house and never been happier, never feel that horrible feeling as if Im being watched..... It seems that estate agents dont have to tell buyers about the history of a house.. even if a murders been committed, I wonder though if this is true...
The dead are harmless, regardless of where or how they died.

Sure, they may seek attention, but no one was ever killed by a ghost.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:26 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,226,273 times
Quote:
I think the estate agents should be obligated to tell the details of the past history of the house.. it doesnt seem fair as some people are genuinly scared and put off with a house and its past... and if they find out later, it might make them very uneasy living there...
How would you expect them to know all "the details of the past history of the house"? It's not as if they're documented somewhere.

They should however disclose any material facts that affect the market value of the property to avoid a potential lawsuit after the fact.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,226,273 times
One more thing, most large cities contain older homes, and just by the sheer fact that they've been around since the 20's. 30's, 40's and 50's most will have had a death in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal