Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:37 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

You can select a series of ten attributes at random, assign each of them to the next ten Popes, and then wait and rationalize post facto a connection between that pope and the corresponding adjective on the list. You can do the same with presidents of the United States, Presidents of Paraguay, mayors of Altoona PA, or girls invited to your daughter's sleepover. It doesn't take Saint Malachy to do that for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 10:39 AM

797 posts, read 1,344,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
nice enough guy?
he's totally anti gay! how is that nice at all?!

He is not a "Ted Kennedy Catholic" and for that I am glad.

There are enough religions who support the PERVERSION of gays marrying.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:27 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
You're really going out on a limb...
Sadly for those who buy into this, it's less of a stretch than some of the other ones on the list.

There's a pretty strong consensus that these "prophecies" were actually made in the 16th century and attributed to Saint Malachy.

It's interesting, reading the list of them, how specific and accurate they are from 1143 to 1590 (the date the prophecies were first published), generally making fairly explicit reference to either the pope's heraldry, family name or place of birth.

After 1590, they change tone, becoming vague and often virtually impossible to link to the correct pope (even post facto, proponents appear to have difficulty with a significant number of popes).

It's pretty easy to get your "prophecies" right when you write them after the fact.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:59 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
nice enough guy?
I am not anti gay but I am catholic ( non practicing)
In defense of the pope he is only following church doctrine and I don't see that doctrine changing any time soon.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:14 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Well, St. Malachy said this Pope is "Peter of Rome." Since his given name is Jorge and his chosen name is Francis, then we don't get an obvious "Peter of Rome." But maybe something will come up that's symbolic. Maybe he'll end up doing or experiencing something similar to St. Peter? Also, even though he is from Argentina, his parents were immigrants from Italy--I wonder if the family was from the vicinity of Rome?
Don't worry, Malachy is wrong but there's a Nostradamus quatrain that fits really well:

Nul de l’Espaigne mais de l’antique France,
Ne sera esleu pour le tremblant nacelle,
A l’ennemy sera faicte fiance,
Qui dans son regne sera peste cruelle.

Not from Spain but from ancient France,
Will be elected for the trembling ship [the bark of Peter],
He will make a promise to the enemy,
Who will cause great plague during his reign.

Century 5 Quatrain 49

Argentina was "Spain" in the 1500s by the new pope's family is actually from Italy. "Ancient France" could be the Empire of Charlemagne or even Rome (of which Gaul... "Ancient France" was a part of), not to mention the name "Francis" or the Franciscan order could be applied.

No one would argue that "Peter's ship" is "trembling" at the moment at least.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:32 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times
I certainly believe many things that have long been kept secret within the Vatican will be revealed -- this year, and Benedict "quitting" (nothing like a pope giving about two weeks' notice) and the election of Pope Francis I is just the beginning.

I also feel the enclave made a conscious decision NOT to elect a pope whose name would be in any way related to Peter, i.e., the prophecy, whether it's real or not -- it would be in their best interest to do just the opposite to throw everyone off and divert fear of the end times and so forth. I also feel other institutionalized religions will take some serious hits this year.

Am also getting a little suspiciously smokescreened vibes regarding the sudden PR around this new pope and all of his simplistic ways of going about things. It feels like they're really pushing a campaign to make him appear very, very humble and regular Joe (casually going to pick up his luggage, cooking his own spaghetti dinner, not wearing the full papal dress, etc.).

Sadly, I just think they're counting on fooling some of the people all of the time. Too much has happened to backtrack now, and I think they know full well that they're in trouble.

As for the prophecy itself, I really don't have an opinon or feel one way or another, but I don't think it signals the "end times." I just hope (and pray) that we see a cleansing, not an uprising, out of this.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I certainly believe many things that have long been kept secret within the Vatican will be revealed -- this year, and Benedict "quitting" (nothing like a pope giving about two weeks' notice) and the election of Pope Francis I is just the beginning.

I also feel the enclave made a conscious decision NOT to elect a pope whose name would be in any way related to Peter, i.e., the prophecy, whether it's real or not -- it would be in their best interest to do just the opposite to throw everyone off and divert fear of the end times and so forth. I also feel other institutionalized religions will take some serious hits this year.

Am also getting a little suspiciously smokescreened vibes regarding the sudden PR around this new pope and all of his simplistic ways of going about things. It feels like they're really pushing a campaign to make him appear very, very humble and regular Joe (casually going to pick up his luggage, cooking his own spaghetti dinner, not wearing the full papal dress, etc.).

Sadly, I just think they're counting on fooling some of the people all of the time. Too much has happened to backtrack now, and I think they know full well that they're in trouble.

As for the prophecy itself, I really don't have an opinon or feel one way or another, but I don't think it signals the "end times." I just hope (and pray) that we see a cleansing, not an uprising, out of this.
Maybe just the end of "their time".

Old 03-16-2013, 12:29 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Well, St. Malachy said this Pope is "Peter of Rome." Since his given name is Jorge and his chosen name is Francis, then we don't get an obvious "Peter of Rome." But maybe something will come up that's symbolic. Maybe he'll end up doing or experiencing something similar to St. Peter? Also, even though he is from Argentina, his parents were immigrants from Italy--I wonder if the family was from the vicinity of Rome?

Maybe this reference will come clear later. Maybe something will happen to endear him to the people of Rome, in particular.

The rest of the prophecy, who will pasture his sheep in many tribulations.

He seems like a pastoral type.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:34 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Don't worry, Malachy is wrong but there's a Nostradamus quatrain that fits really well:

Nul de l’Espaigne mais de l’antique France,
Ne sera esleu pour le tremblant nacelle,
A l’ennemy sera faicte fiance,
Qui dans son regne sera peste cruelle.

Not from Spain but from ancient France,
Will be elected for the trembling ship [the bark of Peter],
He will make a promise to the enemy,
Who will cause great plague during his reign.

Century 5 Quatrain 49

Argentina was "Spain" in the 1500s by the new pope's family is actually from Italy. "Ancient France" could be the Empire of Charlemagne or even Rome (of which Gaul... "Ancient France" was a part of), not to mention the name "Francis" or the Franciscan order could be applied.

No one would argue that "Peter's ship" is "trembling" at the moment at least.
The Jesuits were founded in Paris.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:17 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
nice enough guy?
Yes. They say he is traditional, meaning anti gay, anti women, anti free choice, anti birth control.
How can that be good?

There is a new head of the Church of England. The Anglicans for a very long time were vacillating on the gay issue because the African churches were threatening to leave. Well, this new guy says they are taking another look at both women and gays, which sounds great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal