Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:35 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times

Advertisements

I just heard today that the current Pope will be retiring in a few months. I'm not Catholic, but it does interest me because years ago in reading about prophecy, I read about St. Malachy, a 12th-century Irish monk who made predictions about all the popes that would come into office from his time, until the supposed end of the world. For those of you who haven't read about this, he came up with a epithet or nickname for each pope that ended up somehow connecting to the pope's name, family coat of arms, or the historical times in which he served.

The current Pope is the next-to-the-last according to Malachy. So whoever gets elected this Spring could be the last. The prediction simply calls him "Peter of Rome" or "Peter the Roman" and says that the church will receive some final persecution or final judgment, and Rome (or the world) will be destroyed.

Some think this means that "judgment day" or the end of the world will come, while others just interpret it to mean that the Catholic church will end. Of course some totally discredit the prophecies, or claim that the "Peter of Rome" piece was added into the prophecies by someone else after Malachy died. Some websites even interpret it to mean that the final pope will be Satan in disguise.

What do you think of this? Please, let's leave out the arguments about prophecy and psychic prediction being real or not. there are lots of good places to argue that. Let's just say you do believe in prophecies to some degree, what do you think about Malachy's in particular?

I tend to think that this doesn't signify the end of the world, but maybe it will be the end of the Catholic church, or at least the church as we know it. With increased secularization in most nations of the world especially Europe, with decreasing tolerance for religion or Christianity specifically in so many circles, and perhaps with increased power of militant radicalized Islam, who know? Maybe the Catholic church will end or at least be forever changed.

Here are a few sites that talk about the prophecies, but you can google and get hundreds of resources.

Prophecy of the Popes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prophecies about the Last 10 Popes by a 12th century monk

Please share your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
The Roman Catholic church has been through so much turmoil, change, and controversy over the years that this is just one more event that pales in comparison to others.

Personally, I don't hold much stock for ''prophesies''. What will be will be.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:32 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,012 times
Interesting reading. Of course, if St. Malachy was using the Mayan calendar when he was making his predictions, that could explain why he thinks there will be an end to Popes at around this time.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:47 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Interesting reading. Of course, if St. Malachy was using the Mayan calendar when he was making his predictions, that could explain why he thinks there will be an end to Popes at around this time.
cute!

Old 02-11-2013, 04:19 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
If you read St Malach's prophecy you will find it is just as vague and easily twisted as Nostradamus... though I would probably start getting scared if the cardinals voted in an Italian pope named Peter.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
I have heard about this prophecy before - thats why I got worried when the current Pope resigned. So strange - never heard of a Pope resigning even though it happened before.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:52 AM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times
I have a feeling that the Vatican has many more things in its vaults than it would have us believe. Some of these have been put there because they present a differing viewpoint from the one which is being put out there and some are probably there because they represent the latest and best information available (at the time). I feel this is rather like going along after Tesla died and picking up his notebooks because they were created by a very clever man who was ahead of his time. It is quite possible that the Vatican may be privvy to some very secret documents and practices but they are not going to let them out now after all this time. Particularly since the Catholic church is extremely rich and powerful and they do not want to lose that position.

You have to remember that the rich and powerful are going to go down fighting and will not give up - just in case the worst scenario never happens.

The day after tomorrow (15th Feb 2013) there is supposed to be an asteroid which will pass between the Earth and the geostationery satellites - thats close. If the scientists have made a very small error in their calculations, many of us will be space dust, depending on if it landed in a populus area. An event such as that - if it happened - would make a scar in time which many past prophets could tune into. If we are on that time line, then it might well happen. If we are on another time line, then they may have picked it out of another future.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:52 AM

428 posts, read 643,522 times
i wonder if he is resigning before the next big pedophilia scandal rocks the church. and also wonder if this could be the end of the church as we know it, because unbelievable as it sounds, if rome fell the church could too.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,585,845 times
I think after the next pope does not nesscessarily mean the end of the world, the tribulation nor the Anti-Christ. I believe it could be the end ( or the seriously weakening of the Catholic Church) as we saw it in the past. Currently it seem to be in decline -look around you- the number of priests and nuns have been dwindling severely since the 60s, parishes and parochial schools ( today it is very expensive to send your child to Catholic school and most folks cannot afford it) are closing by the leaps and bounds in all the cities around our country, the dissolving of many if not most urban Catholic ethnic communities in America ( white flight is a big factor but not the only one), the crisis of rampant sexual misconduct in recent years ( and maybe even longer) , the refusal to change antiquated rules ( no married or even woman priests, birth control ,forced celibacy in religious orders etc) and the ever increasing ecumenicalism with other Christian church denominations and even other religions ( not a bad thing, however
).

Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 AM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
1. Christian church and Christianity, and Islam are destined to pass due to their (But even freedom might be harmless and have its place in the it rested upon the foundation of faith in God, upon the brotherhood of humanity, unconnected with the conception of equality, which is negatived by the very laws of creation, for they have established subordination. With such a faith as this a people might be governed by a wardship of parishes, and would walk contentedly and humbly under the guiding hand of its spiritual pastor submitting to the dispositions of God upon earth. This is the reason why it is indispensable for us to undermine all faith, to tear of minds out of the G...M the very principle of Godhead and the spirit, and to put in its place arithmetical calculations and material needs. ... Thus, all the nations will be swallowed up in the pursuit of gain and in the race for it will not take note of their common foe.) diligence, and sheeple conformism.
2. Ever heard of Dzhanibekov effect? Earth flips every 12 000 or so years. Magnetic poles flip. Either total civilization destruction and start from scratch, or major catastrophe. It's somewhere around this age to come.
3. Ha-ha. Yes, Vatican vaults hold many things no one wants to ever disclose. Good or bad.
4. Pope stepping down? How about a woman for a pope? Likely even more strange, aye?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal