U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 AM

16,416 posts, read 25,226,429 times

Advertisements

I just don't see how it is possible and why people are so dead set that it has happened. Even taking it from a scientific viewpoint. Given the size of the universe, it is very possible there is intelligent life outside of Earth, that I don't disagree with. But, the fact that people actually BELIEVE it's possible they visited in the past seems rather impossible. First of all, if they existed, it would mean they'd have to have evolved from something. That takes a long time, on top of that.. they'd have to be on a planet with resources that would allow them to travel into space. They would have to have the knowledge to even get to space. The NEAREST galaxy to us is 25,000 light years away. That would mean these aliens would have to have the brain capacity to find a way to defy the laws of physics to even be able to travel at that speed, which in reality is impossible. So these creatures would have to live at minimum 50,000 years.

It doesn't make any sense how people even believe aliens have visited here, or cite 'evidence' that they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 03:52 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,988,311 times
I think that they are dead set that aliens HAVE visited Earth because of the different pieces of information which all point to it.

Some art 'evidence' may be artistic license but not all. Some of the technologies our poor uneducated non-technological ancestors had are not possible today such as the perfectly shaped mega-ton blocks of stone. Where would these peoples have got their know-how assuming we humans are on a curve of continuous development?

What investigations have you done and what explanations have you given yourself for all of the strange things you may have found? Maybe you can list a few perhaps?

Personally, I believe there is evidence (Disclosure Project) that aliens are here now not just in the past, but if it makes you feel any safer, then by all means believe that they may have been here in the past.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 AM

2,967 posts, read 3,960,201 times
Well, I never had an opinion on the matter until a craft hovered right over me at age 16. It could of been some sort of domestic top secret ship back in the early 1990s (sarcasm). I do not know, why it would of been hovering right over my house and yard, out in the country, in the middle of nowhere - odds are unlikely. It also took off so fast, that it literally left a streak in the sky and covered an amazing amount of distance in what seemed like 1 split second. That would be some pretty fantastic technology, if it was a domestic ship.

After witnessing that, i have always kept an open mind about everything, no matter how fantastical it sounds. Big Foot, etc. If a person swears they have seen these things, who am I to argue it? I never imagined I would see a ship like this with my own eyes, until it happened...

Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 AM

77 posts, read 67,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I just don't see how it is possible and why people are so dead set that it has happened. Even taking it from a scientific viewpoint. Given the size of the universe, it is very possible there is intelligent life outside of Earth, that I don't disagree with. But, the fact that people actually BELIEVE it's possible they visited in the past seems rather impossible. First of all, if they existed, it would mean they'd have to have evolved from something. That takes a long time, on top of that.. they'd have to be on a planet with resources that would allow them to travel into space. They would have to have the knowledge to even get to space. The NEAREST galaxy to us is 25,000 light years away. That would mean these aliens would have to have the brain capacity to find a way to defy the laws of physics to even be able to travel at that speed, which in reality is impossible. So these creatures would have to live at minimum 50,000 years.

It doesn't make any sense how people even believe aliens have visited here, or cite 'evidence' that they have.
First off, I see not a shred of evidence that this has happened.

On the other hand, it is hardly an impossibility as far as we know. There are no known barriers to interstellar travel beyond our currently insufficient technology.

Quote:
First of all, if they existed, it would mean they'd have to have evolved from something. That takes a long time
Evolutionary time-frames aren't an issue; we are sufficiently evolved, we simply lack the ability at present (which is a technology-acquisition, not evolutionary development, issue).

Quote:
they'd have to be on a planet with resources that would allow them to travel into space.
Certainly. But since Population I stars are quite common in the Milky Way, and there appear to be billions of terrestrial planets in the galaxy as well, this hardly seems like an issue.

Quote:
They would have to have the knowledge to even get to space.
This speaks more to an issue of the evolution of high intelligence. Where it arises, we should not be at all surprised to see the possibility of space-travel follow. But how common it is remains an unknown. Still, it is by no means impossible. After all, it has happened here. We have already launched interstellar probes. They are simply unmanned and, on interstellar scales, extremely slow. But then, such is progress. Baby steps and all.

Quote:
The NEAREST galaxy to us is 25,000 light years away.
There is no reason to presume that extraterrestrials must come from a different galaxy; indeed, we should expect the opposite. There are 51 star systems within 16.3 light-years of Earth, and the Orion Arm in which the sun resides (a minor galactic arm, at that) is some 3500 light-years x 10000 light-years, and contains several billion stars. So there is absolutely no reason to presume that extraterrestrials must come from as far as 25000 light-years away.

Quote:
That would mean these aliens would have to have the brain capacity to find a way to defy the laws of physics to even be able to travel at that speed, which in reality is impossible.
'light-year' is a measure of distance, not velocity.

Quote:
So these creatures would have to live at minimum 50,000 years.
For a round-trip of individuals at slow velocities, yes. But for a generational ship, life-span ceases to be an issue. Also, if velocities could be scaled up to near-luminal then the effect of time-dilation would be such that while 50000 years passed on the point of origin, as well as on Earth, as little as a few years (allowing for moderate and steady periods of acceleration and deceleration) might pass on the craft itself. But as I pointed out, there is no reason to presume an extraterrestrial visit to Earth would have to come from so far away.

All that said, this is not an argument that we have been visited, but merely a demonstration that it is certainly not an impossibility, so far as we know. On the flip side, as far as I am concerned there is no reason to think that we have been visited, or even probably have been visited. Really, there are such massive gaps in our knowledge of the probabilities of interestellar-capable civilizations arising that we can't even make anything more than the vaguest of guesses as to whether or not it might have happened, or might ever happen.

But as to being a conceptual possibility, that it certainly is.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:29 AM

12,904 posts, read 18,464,697 times
I'm dead-set in the belief that some UFOs are non-human technology visiting earth but that doesn't mean they are piloted by little green men from Andromeda.

The nearest solar system is about 4 light-years away so it isn't too far a stretch to imagine nearby ET's coming here within the laws of physics as we understand them. New planets in the "Goldilocks zone" of their star systems are being discovered fairly close by too, and a alien visitor is far more likely to be an unmanned (or un-aliened ) probe.... just like we've done regularly within our solar system.

But beyond that, the OP should consider this:

It is impossible to cross the Atlantic on a dugout canoe, but it can be done in a couple of months on a 16th century sailing vessel. Fast forward to 100 years ago and it only took an easy 4-5 days on an ocean liner to cross the same body of water. Jump in an airplane and it only takes a few hours.

The guy in the canoe would have a hard time comprehending the Mayflower, much less the Queen Mary and a 747 would be hopelessly beyond comprehension.

When it comes to space travel, we are still in the canoe stage.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:31 PM

3,869 posts, read 12,517,524 times
If extraterrestrials have landed and IF they do exist then the bible is nothing more that a door stop.

I don't think this is the only planet with life, and if it isn't then again the bible is a door stop.

If you believe the bible and in GOD as the bible has portrayed the entity then the earth is the only place with life.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 PM

10,548 posts, read 11,649,542 times
The thing is, why would they want to? We're a pretty insignificant warrior species on a planet pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and very very young as far as galactic things go. Are their alien species out there? I'm sure there are. Have they visited the Earth? I seriously doubt it.

Anyway, Zephram Cochran has to invent warp drive for the Vulcans to see it.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:16 PM

577 posts, read 799,076 times
There are certainly no shortage of reports of UFO's buzzing around our skies. If we are to believe reports throughout history they have been doing so for some time. But are they extra-terrestrial? We call them UFO's because they are exactly that...unidentified. I'm just not seeing the evidence that they are from outer space, outside of the fact that many want to believe they are visitors from another planet. From what witnesses claim these craft don't seem to be bothered much by gravity, or by traveling at high speed while maneuvering. Some researchers have even hypothesized that they are like phantoms the way they ignore the laws of physics. They have been around for awhile at least, so why do they not land on the white house lawn with the "take me to your leader" bit. They don't do that. Instead they seem to spend their time buzzing back lanes in the country and harassing farmers. And if you read the contactee reports and them compare them to reports from people who claimed to be whisked away by faeries the century before, the reports tend to be extremely similar in most respects.

I'm thinking most reports can be explained, although their are a number of sightings that aren't so easy to explain away. I will admit I don't know what the answer is. I just don't see any real evidence that the friendly space brothers from the Pleiades are coming to visit us. Extra-terrestrial? Inter Dimensional? Misrepresentation of stars and weather balloons? Reading about all the sightings, there seems to be something there, I'm just not sure what that something is.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:38 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,156,359 times
I've never seen a UFO so I guess there is no such thing.
I've also never seen that invisible friend that lives in the sky that millions of people believe is there just waiting to welcome them to eternal life.

Why are some people considered crackpots for believing they have seen something yet others are considered God fearing upstanding citizens for believing in something they have never seen?

I'm so confused.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:06 PM

4,639 posts, read 3,734,867 times
All scientific evidence we have is that Aliens HAVE NOT visited earth. All Pseudo-science, the phenomenon that gave you astrology, parapsychology, cryptozoology and the ancient aliens TV show, would say otherwise, but they lack scientific credibility or proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal