U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2013, 07:57 AM
 
1,179 posts, read 1,194,348 times
Reputation: 816

Advertisements

Cecil Hotel, morbid history of multiple murder, suicide. Is it haunted

Part of its sordid history, involves two serial killers, Richard Ramirez and Jack Unterweger.
Now on death row, Ramirez, labeled “the Nightstalker”, was living at the Cecil Hotel in 1985, in a top floor room. He was charged 14 dollars a night. In a building filled with transients, he remained unnoticed as he stalked and killed his 13 female victims. Richard Schave, said “He was dumping his bloody clothes in the Dumpster, at the end of his evening and returned via the back entrance.”
Jack Unterweger, was a journalist covering crime in Los Angeles for an Austrian magazine in 1991. “We believe he was living at the Cecil Hotel in homage to Ramirez,” Schave said.
He is blamed with killing three prostitutes in Los Angeles, while being a guest at the Cecil.
In the 50’s and 60’s the Cecil was known as a place that people would go to jump out of one of the hotel’s windows to commit suicide.


Helen Gurnee, in her 50s, leaped from a seventh floor window, landing on the Cecil Hotel marquee, on October 22, 1954.


Julia Moore jumped from her eighth floor room window, on February 11, 1962.
Pauline Otton, 27, jumped from a ninth floor window after an argument with her estranged husband, on October 12, 1962. Otton landed on George Gianinni, 65, who was walking on the side walk, 90 feet below. Both were killed instantly.


There was also a murder of one of the residents. “Pigeon Goldie” Osgood, a retired telephone operator, known for protecting and feeding pigeons in a nearby park, was found dead in his ransacked room on June 4, 1964. He had been stabbed, strangled, and raped. The crime still remains unsolved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2013, 08:47 AM
 
1,288 posts, read 2,204,921 times
Reputation: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post

There was also a murder of one of the residents. “Pigeon Goldie” Osgood, a retired telephone operator, known for protecting and feeding pigeons in a nearby park, was found dead in his ransacked room on June 4, 1964. He had been stabbed, strangled, and raped. The crime still remains unsolved.
He was a retired old man and he was raped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Status: "Like their father or their dog just died" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Bel Air, California
19,650 posts, read 19,174,922 times
Reputation: 29954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
Cecil Hotel, morbid history of multiple murder, suicide. Is it haunted

There was also a murder of one of the residents. “Pigeon Goldie” Osgood, a retired telephone operator, known for protecting and feeding pigeons in a nearby park, was found dead in his ransacked room on June 4, 1964. He had been stabbed, strangled, and raped. The crime still remains unsolved.
I believe there was a stool pigeon later convicted of this crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 03:31 AM
 
621 posts, read 530,273 times
Reputation: 265
I have a friend who has a house that is haunted. He was lighting it with candles because he couldn't pay the electric bill. He didn't get along with his preternatural house guest. He had watched this entity move things before. We think it moved a candle and lit his place on fire. He survived the fire. But to answer the opening Q I'd say yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 07:05 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 41,244,039 times
Reputation: 11862
So you're suggesting these unhappy spirits possess people and cause them to kill? Or that the place is somehow cursed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Niflheim
1,297 posts, read 1,547,250 times
Reputation: 1045
Can a "ghost" or evil entity kill?

If you believe Amy Allan from the TV show Dead Files...the answer is yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 10:20 AM
 
10,987 posts, read 18,630,343 times
Reputation: 16993
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie_row View Post
I have a friend who has a house that is haunted. He was lighting it with candles because he couldn't pay the electric bill. He didn't get along with his preternatural house guest. He had watched this entity move things before. We think it moved a candle and lit his place on fire. He survived the fire. But to answer the opening Q I'd say yes.
IN all honesty lighting with candles and you not being there to watch them is dumb dumb dumb. I've heard of WAY too many house fire started this way. Heck -- the little town my dad grew up in got a write up in Life Magazine in the late 40's because half the darn town burned down from the old German custom of lit candles on a Christmas tree.

Hyndman PA fire... town destroyed by a Christmas tree fire... - Timothy Hughes RareNewspapers.com Old Newspapers Original & Authentic

With my cats I refuse to use regular candles. I use flameless candles -- some of them are crappy looking, but some of them are really nice, and best of all -- no fire, no scorched kitties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 03:39 PM
 
621 posts, read 530,273 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
IN all honesty lighting with candles and you not being there to watch them is dumb dumb dumb. I've heard of WAY too many house fire started this way. Heck -- the little town my dad grew up in got a write up in Life Magazine in the late 40's because half the darn town burned down from the old German custom of lit candles on a Christmas tree.

Hyndman PA fire... town destroyed by a Christmas tree fire... - Timothy Hughes RareNewspapers.com Old Newspapers Original & Authentic

With my cats I refuse to use regular candles. I use flameless candles -- some of them are crappy looking, but some of them are really nice, and best of all -- no fire, no scorched kitties.
Ya it isn't smart to light a house with candles. Around here the electric company can't turn off the electricity in an apartment in a multi unit dwelling. They can switch it to the land lords name and bill them.

But he had watch things move on there own in his house before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2013, 04:37 PM
 
3 posts, read 6,120 times
Reputation: 28
I do believe that being in a place like that, with it's sordid past and twisted history, it can have an effect on a person. A certain darkness can overcome them - whether it's paranormal or not can be up for debate.

Evil entities exist and they can kill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2013, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
12,570 posts, read 17,771,485 times
Reputation: 13251
They can influence, but the living ultimately always does the killing (either themselves or others).

My experience is that an evil entity is more like a parasite that wants to keep you alive while "feeding" off you... you are no good to them dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top