U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,924,414 times

Advertisements

I used to work at a YMCA when I was a teenager and would have to close up the place at night. The 2nd floor was creepy. Doors would open and you would hear cracking and loud banging noises. The bathrooms, especially the saunas were really creepy as well. In fact, now that I think about it, the whole building was creepy and had some kind of feeling to it hard to describe (especially at night) but even during the day something always felt "off" about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 PM

2,885 posts, read 3,088,265 times
I also worked in a haunted counseling center. I'd be there at night seeing clients as the only staff member and we'd hear toilets flushing and doors opening and closing in the floor above and below my office.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,145,691 times
I used to work at a movie theater. It wasn't an old place. The building itself was built in the 60s or 70s but only half the theater was in that building. The other half was added on brand new in the 90s. I really don't know that the place was haunted, but so many strange things happened that a lot of us would joke that there was at least one resident ghost. I had my own experiences and I heard stories from other people.

Working in the projection booth, I used to see things disappear around corners out of the corner of my eye. It happened so often, I stopped investigating it. I also heard noises sounding like something falling when nothing was out of place. One day it was so loud and so real, I searched all over, but there was nothing on the floor anywhere. One part of the projection booth had a small, dark hallway that lead to two other projectors in a small room. The girl working in the booth at the time came downstairs to me (I was a manager) and swore she heard someone say her name from that dark room as she walked past. She refused to go back up there until I searched it for her. The two doors that lead up there were locked (it was impossible to have them unlocked) and her and I were the only ones with keys.

One night after closing up, I had made sure the theaters were all empty was I was alone crossing the hallway to the restrooms to check them before leaving for the night when I heard what sounded like a couple kids laughing down the dark hallway. I searched the whole building again but nobody was there. Then the owner was closing up one night and had the exact same experience. I had never told him about my experience. Another employee was alone cleaning a theater after a show when he heard someone say his name, he looked all over but never found anyone around.

Spookiest of all was our maintenance guy, who was in his early 20s, was filling in for a janitor on vacation. He was alone in the building to clean it around 2 or 3 AM. He turned all the theater lights on and walked through 4 theaters picking up cups and popcorn containers. When he got to the 5th theater, the lights were off. He went to check the light switch and it was turned off. He swore he turned it on with the rest but maybe he missed it. He turned it on and got the big items out of that theater. He then went back to the first four and completely cleaned them out. When he go to the 5th theater, the lights dimmed when he was halfway through cleaning it. If the light switch had turned off, the lights would have just gone out instantly. But dimming the lights could only be done from the locked projection booth. He quickly went upstairs and searched. The place was empty and sure enough, the light box showed the lights had been dimmed to minimal. He turned them up, quickly finished cleaning theater and got out of there.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:55 AM

1,269 posts, read 563,731 times
At work just a few months ago...[i work in a fairly large, fenced facility with criminals and x-criminals (we hope)]... it all started with just a little bit of movement out of the corner of my eye. From a conferance room that lined-up with the "salley port", I consistantly saw a something moving from the main area out towards the outside of the facility. It was about 2:20am. It was about the 5th time and for some reason this time I could almost feel it about to happen, so I looked up and saw a slight image of a man, just the top half visible since the door had no glass on the bottom part, swiftly exiting the area. Weird. The part that "he" was passing through was remotely locked and unocked. There was no way for there to be anyone there at that time. Period.

After that, several other strange things began to happen... Another coworker saw the same exact thing as they were exiting on night at midnight, except it was not the same direction, but it was entering into the conferance room where I had been when I saw it the first time....

Within a week I saw the same thing, right in between the 1st 2 locations, although this time it had a lighter shirt....

This and the other 3 events all happend in about a month's time. Coworker and I were in the other building (it's older, and its also where I heard footsteps RIGHT behind me at 3am about 4 years ago...I spun around and there was no one around.) We were sitting there in the dining hall. It was about 1145pm. We were talking about just random stuff, nothing scarry and I hadn't even told her about the weird stuff happening around there as of late, when all of a sudden, in the middle of a sentence she just jumped back away from me (we were sitting facing each other, her back to the wall, my back to the rest of the room and a big window). I said "What's wrong with you???" She said "I don't know, but something just jumped out at me from the window...." Time to go back to the other building......

In the other building, all but one man had left for the night and I sat in the break room for a little while. I heard the VERY destinctive sound of the keybox door slamming shut. I was sitting next to the breakroom door. I immediatley sprang up and entered into that room. There was nobody there. And there was no where for someone to hide if they had been there. Not to metion that it was on camera and my coworker would have seen them. There was NO mistaking that sound... but there was simply NO one there to do it...

While sitting at a desk there, again in the middle of the night, I heard someone in the bathroom on the other side of the wall next to me. Moving around, touching the sink, drying hands..... no body there, guarenteed....

by now, every night, it started feeling like "what's next for tonight?"

One of the no-nonsense inmates told me about sitting in the kitchen, listening to his headphones while waiting for the last litte bit of dinner clean up to be finished. Though he was a big, storong Native man, he exited quite quickly as he watched the three ovens that were lined up by each other open and close, one at a time, all by themselves.

Another inmate who was not prone to foolishness told me, after hearing my other stories, that he too had seen the ghost in the sally-port. "Many times when I'd get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, I'd glance up through the Unit door into the sally port and I'd see someone in there, but I knew it wasn't one of you guys. It freaked me out so much I started to just hold it till morning or stare at the floor as I walked to and from the bathroom." I might add that this is the same place that an old dog that we had here would stop at in the middle of the night and stare and bark.... and stop, then do it again.. then slowly walk away. I though it was just cus he was old dog and might have been seeing his reflection, but it appears that he saw the ghost, too.

Seems like it goes in cycles around here.... should be starting up again any time..................

Ther's a couple more, too... "the hungry ghost" , "the attacker" and "the __(i can't think of a good name for this story)__ ghost."
Lemme know if ya wanna hear them.

Last edited by ~HolyNinja~; 04-02-2013 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: type-ohhhh

Old 04-02-2013, 04:26 PM

7,512 posts, read 9,918,432 times
The old hospital in Jerome, AZ, now a hotel is haunted. We stayed one night and they put us in a room I didn't like. Next room I felt very comfortable in. The 1st room was where the doc's office was, they told us at checkout-- explains my discomfort and the next room was the nursing supervisor's office. I was actually a nursing supervisor at the time of my stay. Hehe. I mostly felt comfort, being "looked after" when I stayed there. If you're sensitive to these things, you can feel things more than someone else might.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:26 PM

4,340 posts, read 7,373,685 times
I wouldn't want ANY job working at night in any old building. I've had part-time jobs where I've had to work until closing, but I was never all alone & the building wasn't old.

~HolyNinja~, I'm afraid to ask about "the attacker"...sounds really scary! But, feel free to talk about "him" & the rest if you want!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 PM

74 posts, read 84,800 times
When I first started at the library where I work, the stacks were a disaster . Books crammed in so tight you couldn't get them out, mis-shelved, it was just awful. I would open in the morning and find books on the floor that had fallen during the night when we were closed. I attributed it heating/air cond vibrations, but once I got the stacks in order, the books quit falling off. Maybe it was just because the books were better balanced. But...

One day a new co-worker asked me very casually "is there anything unusual about this place?" Completely joking, I said, "Oh, you mean Flora?" Flora is the first name of the original library director and the library is named for her. My co-worker said, "Well, the door to the Friends room won't stay open."

We had turned one room into a very junky, terribly messy storage space for unwanted book donations which our Friends of the Library sold to raise funds. It was a disaster, but we lacked staff/volunteers to neaten it. We left the door open to encourage patrons to browse and buy those books. After my co-worker mentioned the door problem, I started watching. I never saw it close by itself, but I did find it closed after leaving it open many a time.

You can attribute it to drafts if you want, but one day we got a new director who went through that library like a white tornado and really made it ship-shape again. The mess in the Friends room was cleaned up and the room became our reference room. And from that day to this, that door stays open all the time unless a human hand closes it. Was it Flora making her annoyance with the mess felt by closing that door and throwing books on the floor? I don't think we'll ever know, but I know what I believe.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 AM

12,506 posts, read 14,358,773 times
I used to work in a hospital that was built in 1923. I normally worked days, but one night was covering the night shift and was going to be in the department alone. The girl who normally worked nights told me to be aware that the place is haunted and that strange things often happen. She wasn't joking or trying to scare me; she was completely serious. Well, nothing happened that night but it was so dead (no pun intended) quiet in that place and I was seriously freaked out. I was never so glad to see 7:00 a.m. arrive. I never covered the night shift again.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:24 PM

517 posts, read 654,752 times
More! More!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:10 AM

586 posts, read 755,126 times
For four years I worked at Southern Utah University while getting my Bachelor's degree in Creative Writing. I haven't encountered anything but I've been told stories of the first building on campus called Old Main. Teachers reported elevator doors randomly opening up late at night and a couple of other things. I also know that some of the pagans (or other people who believe in this stuff) living in Cedar City have seances or some kind of ritual out around this circle of bricks in back of the building. Whenever I passed it on my way to classes I'd see melted candle wax. They even have a few things about it online:

OLD MAIN SPIRITS -- SOUTHERN UTAH UNIVERSITY

There's one article. If you Google the school with the word "haunted" you'll find a lot more.

Before that I worked at Toys R Us on Stephanie Street in Henderson, NV. Some of my mother's (she worked there as a supervisor) friends told me they had a few strange experiences. One of them heard footsteps in the next aisle when the store was closed. When they looked there was no one there. Another time something tried pulling the key chain off someone's belt loop. They were the only one in the room. I even had the footstep thing while working one night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal