U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:34 PM

119 posts, read 345,313 times

Advertisements

I work PT at a local hotel. It is a huge, huge property. Too large for the city it is in. Ends up being that the location was from a mental hospital. We've always joked the place is haunted, but working there 9 years, I know it is haunted. Not in a malicious way. The worse that happens is coffee mugs getting thrown to the floor or our coffee/ice tea machines running on their own and making a mess. During the late shifts or really early shifts, walking the back halls usually will provide you with plenty of whispers and muffled sounds. Funny thing is that our backhalls are mostly made from united "rooms", and the rest is just empty space that has been blocked off. It's not creepy, but yeah. Definitely haunted. Lots of people think we're joking, and that the voices can be from elsewhere, but when you're in a hall, by yourself, at 4:30am surrounded by either empty ballrooms or walls, no rooms above, below, or even in the same division, voices from other people aren't really a possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 AM

70 posts, read 86,143 times
I never worked anywhere haunted... but my mother used to be human relations at a huge cabinet manufacturer here in ol' Mifflinburg named Yorktown. She would go in late at night sometimes and hear people walking around in the upper floors. This used to be the original building where the pennsylvania buggys for the horse and buggys were manufactured. Some say the amish who used to work her day after day never lost the routine.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:58 PM

3,762 posts, read 3,027,790 times
I worked for six years in a counseling center that was supposed to be haunted by the former owner. They say he walked out of his office one day, went to the top of the tallest nearby building, and jumped to his death. Not long after the agency moved to the building, they brought in a shaman who conducted a "cleansing" ceremony.

I never saw anything, but we'd all hear footsteps from time to time, which we attributed to "Bob", the former owner. And when I had to close the agency at night, I got out of there as quickly as I could. It just didn't feel right. I'm not convinced there was anything paranormal there, however.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:52 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,187,493 times
At New Mexico State University, where I was employed for 25 years, several of which as a police officer, there are several "haunted" locations. I have experienced definite 'hauntings' myself. Other staff members report others. I think this sort of thing is going on often, all over the place but with more people in one particular location, you are more likely to get a report because you have a greater chance of a "medium" being present.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:23 AM

577 posts, read 781,471 times
I've been on NMSU's campus many times but didn't know there were any stories of hauntings there. Of course the school has been there for some time so I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:55 PM

263 posts, read 335,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I work at a school (not all 5 days a week), but I'm still there. Two custodians who've worked the night shift have told me the school is haunted. The school ws built in the 1920s or 30s. One custodian said a child died in one of the students' bathrooms (don't know how) & he's been in/near there & heard someone say HELLO. He said he keeps the radio on to keep him company. The other custodian says it's haunted & has heard talking in her ear.

I can believe it becauses the school is old. I'm so glad I haven't had ny experiences there & it's going on my 2nd year working there. I admit all this ghost stuff does give me the creeps!

Any workplace hautings & stories?
Hey I came across your thread and I can tell you that I Do work in a place that is visited,especialy on cold nights,like tonight.The place we occupy was once a service station(ENCO) in the fifties,then a rental car place.I first expierenced
seeing a light gray shadow go past and behind an employee that I was talking to.I have seen it a few more times since 2008.
I finally got an answer to what or who it might've been. A person was found dead by co.workers in the mens room.This is who I think visits us from time to time.Other's have also seen it after not believing me.When they found this person?,couldn't tell you.

Last edited by albert soliz; 05-02-2013 at 09:05 PM..

Old 06-09-2013, 12:16 PM

474 posts, read 804,397 times
I worked in an old warehouse years ago. It was 4 stories with three sections, the oldest was around 100 yrs old, the rest 50 yrs or less. I worked there 13 years and had several experiences and had others tell me theirs. Here are a couple that come to mind . . .

1) I got to work around my usual 7am, the ladies that worked on the second floor got me and wanted me to check the third floor because they heard someone walking around up there just above the employee break room. I told them that was impossible since there are appliances stored there, noway for someone to walk in that area. I had to take one of the ladies up there with me to prove it to them.

2) A little insight to the freight elevator, it was an old elevator which you operated with a leaver for up and down. No double doors, the was a door on each floor, no door on the elevator platform itself, so you could go a few inches and stop or several floors. Our supervisor didn't believe any of stories until one day he was on the freight elevator alone coming down from the 4th floor to the first. As he passed the 3rd floor he heard someone knock real loud on the elevator door, which is what we did for a ride down, so he stopped the elevator and went backup to the third floor. When he opened the door no one was there. He got out of the elevator and looked around to make sure he didn't miss who knocked on the door. When he got to the first floor, our work area was right outside the elevator door, he asked if we were playing a trick on him. We asked him what he meant and he told us what happened and asked if we ran down the stairs to beat him here. We told him we weren't on the third and there was noway we could run down 3 flights of stairs and not be out of breath. He believe after that.

As you might have figured out most of the activity was on the third floor, occasionally on the others but rarely. And these were experienced during the day, not at night. I occasionally worked overnights and did hear sounds and saw movement out the corner of my. I was never scared because as I said the activity was just a normal thing there, no one felt threatened in any way, shape or form.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 PM

17,513 posts, read 15,776,208 times
This isn't much of a story but it just happened. We have a tire and battery repair center and I've heard some of the lady managers talking about it being haunted and they don't go back there alone. It centers around a pull down steel door. I've noticed a few things and I can see their concerns but I'm not sure it isn't a ghost and might just be the mechanics of the building.
I went back there to check the exit doors to make sure they were secure and just as I approached that door it banged and rattled. Now it could very well be that the opening and closing of the main doors causes air pressure changes which cause it to rattle. But other times when I was back there the pull down chains would rattle and sway. Again that could be air pressure changes. Now I do think we may be haunted since I've noticed a few things and others have said they've seen a shadowy form. It seems more disinterested or even slightly friendly than anything. The story goes that the land on where we're built was owned by a man who built a house for his wife who ran off and never lived there. So he lived his life alone there.
I sometimes joke about the time we used a Quija board/seance on lunch and summoned that evil spirit and now the place needs an exorcism. Its BS but somebody always falls for it.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 AM

241 posts, read 335,705 times
There is an old school house in St. James that has been converted to offices. According to a book I read called Haunted Long Island, people often hear footsteps, doors opening/closing. I'd love to have an office there!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:10 AM

30,470 posts, read 55,644,943 times
I worked at a place where, if you stayed late after everyone left, you would routinely hear the toilet flushing in the men's room.

I'd also hear paper rustling in one corner of the main floor/open office, but only in that corner. It sounded like someone was flipping through a stack of papers. The copier was originally in that corner at the time; a few years later, I moved my desk over there ... and never heard the noise after that. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal