U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 02:41 PM

3,747 posts, read 5,696,668 times

Advertisements

I was working in a resturaunt quite a few years ago. As I was out serving customers a loud crash happened in the kitchen in the waitstaff station (bread, butter, salads, etc.). One of the customers had a seat that had a view into the kitchen and this section specifically. I went into the kitchen and found a full, unopened gallon jug of pancake syrup had fallen from the top of the reach-in fridge that we kept the butter in. When I wen back out onto the floor, the guy at the table with the view asked me if this place was haunted. I told him that I had never seen anything, but the whole area in general has a lot of activity so I would not be surprised. He then told me that he had seen the jug drop, it moved on its own and fell to the floor.
With that I did some investigating. I went to the reachin and got a step ladder to look at the top (three other jugs of syrup were there still). What I was looking for was dust. Where the jug was, should have less dust than around it. And if the vibration from the compressor of the fridge caused the jug to move, the other jugs should as well. And there would be a 'slide trail'. There was none of those things. The remaining jugs had not moved, there was a faint layer of dust around them and just a faint non-dust perfect circle where the fallen jug has been and no slide marks.
Later when closing down, I asked the owner (who was the chef) if there was a ghost here. She told me 'shush! I'll tell you outside when we are done.'
Turns out she had several stories of activity. The one that freaked and pissed her off the most was when she was doing repairs in back and the ghost kept making noise in the dinning room, knocking and moving stuff around. She told it to knock it off so she could get done and be on her way and then it could do what ever it wanted once she was gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 01:15 PM

6,451 posts, read 9,355,259 times
Glad I found this thread.

I personally have not experienced anything at work, however, just yesterday, 3 of the guys that work in the warehouse cornered me wanting to know if I turned off all the office electronics when I leave for the day, which I do. We work in a large warehouse that stocks aerospace rivets, where we also do the packaging and shipping.

One guy works day shift, starts a half hour before I come in. The other 2 work second shift, but staggered hours. First guy does the office work for the warehouse. The other 2 do the packing and stocking. They all asked me yesterday if I turn off my typewriter and copier before I leave. I turn off everything before I leave. They told me every so often, they hear the typewriter typing. When they come to my office to see if I'm there, they see the typewriter is on, but I'm not there (not my hours to be there). They leave, and they'll hear it again. They just discovered yesterday that they all have been having this same experience the last few months. Occasionally when I come in, I'm a bit surprised that I have "forgotten" to turn the typewriter off.

One went on to say, since he's alone until 11 pm, he's heard his name called out. He once saw a head going down one of the aisles of racks. He said "a head" because if someone was walking down the aisle, that's all you would see amongst the boxes stored on the racks (think library shelves). He didn't recognize the head and went to the aisle to see who it was, and he saw no one. He walked the rest of the warehouse and saw no one else.

The 3rd guy said he has heard pans of rivets hit the ground, like someone had lifted a pan and just dropped it on the concrete floor. When that happens, it does make a god-awful racket. Never did find the source to that. Another time, he heard one of the lift trucks start, the forks lift, then fall. Then silence. He freaked out at that one!

Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 AM

1,269 posts, read 563,447 times
Good stories! Here is another thread ya might be interested in, steelstress.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:51 PM

14 posts, read 14,240 times
Many places. Two offices where weird stuff happened all the time- nothing scary, just startling and weird. The weirdest thing was seeing an old man mopping up the office at around 1030 at night. He was humming a tune, wearing a one piece zippered janitor outfit. Mopping carpet. Looked directly at me, winked and moved on. I never mentioned this to anyone.

As a housing inspector, I've had all kinds of things happen. Some of them really creep you out. And I never worked at night. Everything happened during the day. Mostly objects moving, being thrown at or in front of me. Many times with tenants or landlords witnessing these strange events. There is one building in this town that is just plain haunted, and not in a good way. I HATED going there for any reason.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:37 PM

2,803 posts, read 4,218,012 times
Every hospital I've ever worked in (30 years) has had hauntings. It comes with the territory.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
27,825 posts, read 49,253,412 times
We are in a waterfront 3 story office building on a pier that was built in 1916, by a coke and coal company for shipping their products. Later it became a factory for making cans to supply the fish canning business across the street. It was originally only one level but built 3 stories high to accommodate the huge rolls of tin. With many deaths on the job over the years
it's a likely spot for activity, but I have so far not been here alone at night to find out. Maybe I should leave a recorder on one night and check for EVPs the next morning.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:53 AM

1,269 posts, read 563,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari Cone View Post
Many places. Two offices where weird stuff happened all the time- nothing scary, just startling and weird. The weirdest thing was seeing an old man mopping up the office at around 1030 at night. He was humming a tune, wearing a one piece zippered janitor outfit. Mopping carpet. Looked directly at me, winked and moved on. I never mentioned this to anyone.

As a housing inspector, I've had all kinds of things happen. Some of them really creep you out. And I never worked at night. Everything happened during the day. Mostly objects moving, being thrown at or in front of me. Many times with tenants or landlords witnessing these strange events. There is one building in this town that is just plain haunted, and not in a good way. I HATED going there for any reason.
Could you provide some details, perhaps about that last one you mentioned? I'm sure many would really enjoy the actual stories.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:59 AM

996 posts, read 1,318,280 times
Two places.
I taught school on the Navajo reservation. The building my classroom was in was haunted. Once in a while I'd work there at my desk after school or on weekends when nobody else was around. From my room I could hear lockers outside in the hallway open and slam shut. A couple of times I found currently in use lockers wide open with their padlocks still on tight on the doors, no way to shut them until the next school day when the kid using it could open the combination lock. I found these open AFTER coming into the building and down the hallway and NOT seeing them open.

Years later, I was a partner in a restaurant in the Verde Valley. As soon as we went into business we noticed that the flat top griddle and the deep fryer would be on and hot on some mornings. I at first suspected my partner was not paying attention to her night time shut down routine. This was seriously hazardous and we had a big row over it. I began double checking her nightly and every few days, sure enough, they'd be turned on in the a.m. and blazing hot. We noticed that in a back unventilated storeroom there was a column of ice cold air that was about 3 feet in diameter and seemed to stretch from floor to ceiling. No air current, just a big, cylindrical temperature dip that was there sometimes and not there other times but never anywhere else. Always in the same place. The lights and power would go out and come back on willy-nilly. We once had a large party scheduled to arrive at 6:30 p.m. and we were setting up for them in a side meeting room we used only for large parties. With about 2 minutes to go before their arrival, the lights in that room only went out. The room did NOT have a separate sub-panel switch, and the actual room switches remained in the on position. The group arrived and we were frantically trying to rearrange tables in our main dining room when the lights in the meeting room suddenly came back on and all was well. On another occasion I was standing talking to two ladies who were having lunch. Their table was in direct line of sight to our beverage station, where sat a big BUNN 4 pot drip coffee machine. One of the ladies asked for a coffee refill and I turned to go get a pot and one of the filter baskets, full of spent coffee grounds literally flew out of the machine and landed on the floor near my feet spilling grounds all over. Needless to say, those ladies decided maybe they'd skip after lunch coffee.
The final straw came one night after we had closed and locked the front door and turned off the lights in the back half of the dining room. I had taken the cash drawer out of the register and walked past my partner's daughter who was clearing a table. Sitting at a table next her was a gentleman with a beard who smiled at me as I went by. I was counting the till when she came to the back and I asked her "who's that guy out there Alma? He looks a tad too old for you!" As you can guess she said "what guy? There's nobody here but us and Mom in the kitchen." The guy I saw wasn't some specter or glowing orb or scary shadow being, he was as real and solid looking as anybody, but she hadn't seen him.
Since we were close to Sedona, Home To Every Paranormal NutBall Psychic On The Planet, my wife knew a woman who could speak to those crossed over. Or something. Anyhow, this gal came in and waved a pair of copper divining rods all around the place and then sat down and went into some sort of trance. I thought at the time she was taking a little nap at our expense. After a while she opened her eyes and reported that there was a family of spooks in the place. There was a father and mother and two kids, a boy of 12 and a little girl. They had all died in a house fire on that ground in the early 20th century. They reported to her that they were just trying to let us know they were there and meant no harm and she even claimed the son said he didn't know that fiddling with the nobs on the kitchen equipment was dangerous to us and promised not to do it again. He didn't, at least for the two years we occupied the space. Nothing ever happened after that. We got to where we'd say hi to them when we first opened the door in the morning, just to honor their presence.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:40 PM

348 posts, read 366,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I work at a school (not all 5 days a week), but I'm still there. Two custodians who've worked the night shift have told me the school is haunted. The school ws built in the 1920s or 30s. One custodian said a child died in one of the students' bathrooms (don't know how) & he's been in/near there & heard someone say HELLO. He said he keeps the radio on to keep him company. The other custodian says it's haunted & has heard talking in her ear.

I can believe it becauses the school is old. I'm so glad I haven't had ny experiences there & it's going on my 2nd year working there. I admit all this ghost stuff does give me the creeps!

Any workplace hautings & stories?
I was doing some work in a church. Lots of dead people been in there with funerals and all. There was a couple times I was working late alone and could hear things. When a picture slid off its hook I left and off the wall I booked it our of there. I don't work alone there at night any longer.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:58 AM

10,839 posts, read 7,514,286 times
I used to work in an office tower. The building had at least 2000 or more people working in it during the week, however on weekends it dwindled to perhaps 20. My job entailed working the odd weekend.

We had a large cafeteria that sat hundreds with a comfortable lounge on one side with armchairs and sofas.
I would sit down in the lounge on my weekend shifts to get away from my desk for awhile. It always felt empty, but never scary. Until one weekend.

I heard someone clanging about in the kitchen. At first I didn't give it too much thought. After a minute of clanging pots etc I decide to get up and go around the wall that separated the service area of the cafeteria from the lounge.
The noise stopped. I called out, and no one answered. Besides the cafeteria and cleaning staff for the kitchen never worked weekends. I waited, my senses tingling a bit, when it started again. To my amazement it wasn't coming from the kitchen itself but behind a sandwich counter where during the week they made fresh sandwiches to order.
It sounded exactly like someone was working there, lifting up metal containers and lids to the meats, pickles, cheese etc that one uses in making a sandwich.

I truly thought I had to be mistaken. Could it be the ice-machine? No. I heard the ice-machine across the way and it sounded nothing like the noises I heard.

I quickly went back to my desk where two other co-workers were. Told them the story. They rolled their eyes and laughed.
When it was time for one of them to go on their break, I dared them to go down and see if they could hear anything. They took the challenge.

In a few minutes they came back up, convinced something weird was going on, since they heard it too. My third co-worker ( our manager ) really thought we had lost it and to prove it she said she would go down and figure it out.

She too came back baffled and said it was very, very strange.

I sat there many times after that and most time the noise was there, but not always. I learned to ignore it by convincing myself it had to be coming from a normal source....but in reality, I'm not sure, since there was a lady that used to work that counter that I really got along with, who passed away. She always seemed to like her job...so???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal