U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 PM

9,841 posts, read 13,932,158 times

Advertisements

No, it's not a movie title (remember 8 grams?)

I just watched a documentary on afterlife, soul, etc.
They showed pictures of souls leaving dying body and such.

Also, here's why 50 grams. It's been said, that human soul weighs 50 grams. Well, they decided to prove it.
They had a fella, who practices what they called "controlled dreams". To my knowledge on the subject, "soul" leaves body during deep sleep. A person with controlled sleep actually stays awake inside his or her dream, by being consciously aware that he or she is in a dream. It's a separate thread for discussion, really. They made assumption that if soul does leave the body, then body weight will change.

Sure enough, after they had him on a bed placed atop of scientific scale, when he went into deep sleep, gauge showed weight reduction of - yes, 49 grams.

Here ya go. Let the discussion begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 07:48 PM

149 posts, read 276,932 times
Just a simple yes.I have read about this and watched something on t.v.about it.It seemed logical also I had a feeling in my heart that this was true.Im glad that someone has put the real time and effort to prove it.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:00 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,983,486 times
Sounds like a really cool documentary. I'd have to lean on the yes side, as well, because though I'm not sure, it makes sense to me that the soul is an energtic mass. That then falls into Einstein's E=mc(2), which proved that even a very small amount of mass is converted into energy, thus creating an energetic mass, which then does carry weight (at least that's as far as I understand it; college physics was a loong time ago)!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:50 PM

3,186 posts, read 5,461,735 times
I know with no doubt that even animals have spirits that leave the body when they die. I was with our cat that got hit by a car and I 100% felt its spirit leave even though I couldnt see it. Then for several minutes I sensed a strange feeling of a terrible void in the area near where the cat was killed. This lasted only for a few minutes.....Has anyone experienced this phenomena ?

Old 03-24-2013, 08:27 AM

9,841 posts, read 13,932,158 times
Oh wow, likely the first thread ever that everyone agrees upon the original premise!

Sorry to disappoint animal lover, animals do not have souls equivalent to human ones. But please, let us not turn this thread into that discussion.

What I appreciated about that documentary is the way how they measured it. Before, it was all done with terminal patients that agreed to participate in such an experience. Though I knew that "soul" leaves a body during deep sleep and there is only non-corporal connection between the two, never crossed my mind that this may create an opportunity to measure soul weight "in vivo". Elegant.

Thank you all for favorable posts.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 AM

3,569 posts, read 5,778,384 times
You lose weight because you are still burning energy.

Souls don't exist.

Are You Lightest In The Morning? (Daily Weight Fluctuations) - YouTube

Old 03-25-2013, 09:36 AM

1,640 posts, read 4,139,815 times
Is this different than the old 21 grams weight of the soul theory? That study was very old and extremely unscientific, to put it kindly.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:10 AM

1,841 posts, read 2,394,192 times
I heard 21 grams, also ^^^^
And as for animals, when my dog died, I knew she was gone because she took a deeper breath than she'd been taking and I think on the exhale her mouth shrank back and I knew she was gone. That was visual, of course so I don't know if just seeing that physical response and logically knowing that was it means anything. I think it's just logical. Obvious she was gone. We did know ahead of time she was dying, we sat with her while she died as depressing as that sounds.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
And as for animals, when my dog died, I knew she was gone because she took a deeper breath than she'd been taking and I think on the exhale her mouth shrank back and I knew she was gone. That was visual, of course so I don't know if just seeing that physical response and logically knowing that was it means anything. I think it's just logical. Obvious she was gone. We did know ahead of time she was dying, we sat with her while she died as depressing as that sounds.
Once I was visiting a relative at a nursing home. For some reason they had a dog (I think it was a rottie) on a lease beside the nursing station and the dog was acting very strange. The nurse said "we just had a patient die a few minutes ago and the dog always knows it." I wonder how the dog knew it?

Old 03-25-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
Once I was visiting a relative at a nursing home. For some reason they had a dog (I think it was a rottie) on a lease beside the nursing station and the dog was acting very strange. The nurse said "we just had a patient die a few minutes ago and the dog always knows it." I wonder how the dog knew it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal