Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 04:42 PM

15,630 posts, read 26,110,200 times

Advertisements

To me, "The Secret" is magical thinking. But keeping a positive attitude is another thing entirely. You don't want to be a Pollyanna, but when you are going through bad times, looking for that silver lining helps keep your head above the water, so to say.

Back when things were really bad for us, I was moaning yet again to an online friend who told me to email her three good things every day. Couldn't be the same three things, and they could be small good things, but it had to be three and I had to do it every day.

At first, I could go pages and pages about my miseries, but those three good things were HARD..... but it got easier. In a few months I could see that what I was going through wasn't much different than what others had gone through, and even more were going through at the same time.

That old saw about misery loves company? I think when you are outside of the misery, you can see that, but when you are inside the misery you feel SO SO alone.

Those daily "three things" pulled me out of only looking within and to looking around again, to let me know I wasn't alone.

And my three things today?

Two of my cats, who are known for spatting with each other, were grooming each other this morning. Too cute.

It's very warm outside, but there is a cooler breeze.

Had a really good, but very huge sandwich out today -- brought half of it home. No cooking today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 06:10 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,715,965 times
Sorry about the red "ofs." That was not intentional and not sure why it did that.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
To me, "The Secret" is magical thinking. But keeping a positive attitude is another thing entirely. You don't want to be a Pollyanna, but when you are going through bad times, looking for that silver lining helps keep your head above the water, so to say.

Back when things were really bad for us, I was moaning yet again to an online friend who told me to email her three good things every day. Couldn't be the same three things, and they could be small good things, but it had to be three and I had to do it every day.

At first, I could go pages and pages about my miseries, but those three good things were HARD..... but it got easier. In a few months I could see that what I was going through wasn't much different than what others had gone through, and even more were going through at the same time.

That old saw about misery loves company? I think when you are outside of the misery, you can see that, but when you are inside the misery you feel SO SO alone.

Those daily "three things" pulled me out of only looking within and to looking around again, to let me know I wasn't alone.

And my three things today?

Two of my cats, who are known for spatting with each other, were grooming each other this morning. Too cute.

It's very warm outside, but there is a cooler breeze.

Had a really good, but very huge sandwich out today -- brought half of it home. No cooking today!
LOL about the cats--my mind made a purrfect picture of that. My first piece of gratitude makes me laugh now. I woke up in my really comfortable bed with 4 soft pillows and just thought about how good it felt and then my mind wandered to my children and on and on. Now I'm even capable of being grateful for my handicaps b/c I would not be the same person I am today without them and I've been able to do some pretty cool stuff. I'll never be capable of doing as much as others but life is not a race after all--you only have to compete with yourself.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If I remember correctly Wallace Wattles wrote the original book about The Law of Attraction. I don't recall what the specific title is though but it was written in the late 1800's - early 1900's.
And. . . here he is: Science of Getting Rich by Wallace D. Wattles - Read the Complete Text for free at NewThoughtLibrary.com

Thanks for that--I'd never heard of him.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:20 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,001,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
I believe there is truth to The Secret, but right actions must accompany the thoughts. What are your views?
I do not believe that actions are necessary as long as you are in the proper mindset. "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill is far superior than "the Secret" in explaining how LOA works.

There is a wealth of information out there. I can tell you, from my own personal experience that it does work. Absolutely does work.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-29-2013, 08:09 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,052,310 times
I know it works. How's this for Law of Attraction. I was thinking last night of this thread, again surprised more people don't believe and here it is bumped. Plus I was thinking of you 20yrsinBranson because of something you said a long time ago I read here AND a couple months ago I did buy the book by Lynn Grabhorn so I sat here with my hand over my mouth when I read the post that mentioned that book. Why am I surprised when I know it works? It is amazing. I was so happy to see you believe 20yearsinBranson because you seemed so nice in that old post. I also loved the cat stuff above with the 3 good things each day. Here is today's gratitude list: 1) Grateful to see this thread bumped 2)Grateful someone helped me today, went out of his way to be nice to me when I really needed it and 3)Grateful for the help of my family as I go through some hard times. I really am a lucky lucky woman!

Old 06-29-2013, 08:57 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,632,967 times
I agree that Napolian Hill's 'Think and Grow Rich' is better than the Secret. The Secret skims the surface and really does not explain things deeper.

I know that LOA is strong and powerful, and yes, action is not always needed, action as in hard work. The action is to take action when the opportunity presents itself. LOA is not about wanting to have money and then wishing to win the lottery and then sitting on the couch watching TV and eating ice cream.

There are some important 'keys' that unlock the (positive side) attraction.
It is not only thinking positive, it's in the core emotions, its in feeling that it is deserved and that it is a reality. While one may not have that new car yet, believe that it is there and it will come. Excercise and eating healthy is very important to the energetic vibration.
And it does work both ways. If one is miserable and worries about stuff, then that stuff is going to happen.

I have loads of LOA stories, good and bad.
The most recent happened today. Several days ago I thought about wanting a specific type of shoe for summer. I never went out to shop for them, it just was not that important, it was a nice thought is all. My daughter informs me her work shoes are worn out so we go to get her some shoes. We went to one store, and she shows me the shoes I had wanted. She did not know I wanted them, it was only a thought in my mind in passing, but I did really want them.
Even as she was getting ready to show them to me, I had begun to say, but never had the chance to get it out. But there they were, in my colors even. Not the marked size that I normally wear, but they did fit perfectly.

My daughter is also aware of LOA and works it well. She wanted to ride horses so badly, shortly after we moved she got a sponsorship and now rides in competitions.

My most impressive telling of how LOA works was when I first moved to this area of California. I had been living in Oregon when a friend and I took a trip south to visit family. On the way home he wanted to go to a music festival. We were on a route I had never been on before so I was soaking up the sights. Due to some construction, we where stopped for some time. About 20-30 minutes (mountain roads). As we sat there I looked upon a meadow on a mountainside and thought 'how beautiful this area is, it would be so cool to live here (and be back in my home state!)'. That happened in August. Come January we were living on that exact meadow!!! I did not realize it at first, not until I drove that spot of the road again and then looked for our stuff on the mountain.
How did we happen to get that land? By buying an old tractor on our way out of Oregon and by stopping at my mother's house when someone up the road saw the tractor and approached us to say 'I have 80 acres and I want someone to do something with it'
No rent, no nothing...just work it, make it something.

Just about every job I have had in the last 25 years has been 'handed' to me because I wanted it. My current job was described on our 'I AM' board.
We have a dry erase board and everyone has their own color pen. We write what we want with the I AM opening the statement. So I wrote, 'I am working a job that has all that I need and want' even though I already had a job. A month later a job offer was posted on the board right outside of my drawing/painting/printmaking class. A production assistant for a screen-printer business...works around class schedule, insurance once establish as an employee, and room to learn all aspects of the trade. I've been there just over 6 months and I will soon become the print-master because the current one is moving over to the embroidery side.
It is a great job for the artistic and creative person I am, but also, the people I work with are awesome and to me, the perfect type of job for a person is worthless if the dynamics and environment sucks.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:08 PM

Okay, I'll share for the gratitude list b/c I have so much to be grateful for today. 1. just got back from a trip to Scotland 2. Got to travel with my 2 daughters who are just barely grown and they got to have a side trip of their own and I got to try some travel by myself, which I enjoyed very much 3. Now getting ready to move to a new rural area and have nice house to move into and a new job waiting for me. I just realized that I don't think I've ever had that much to be happy for all at one time, but I was feeling less than grateful earlier b/c I broke up with a man that I've been dating, but I can be grateful about the break up too. So, I will focus on the first 3 and forget about him. There's plenty of fish. . . . Yes it's true though--we can have so much great stuff in our life and the one bad thing, so what do we think about? It's crazy, isn't it? So, I'm grateful for this thread too, that it jerked me back to reality.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:14 PM

9,005 posts, read 13,758,369 times
I read this,and still don't understand the laws of attraction.

Karma and LOA seem to conflict.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:58 PM

15,630 posts, read 26,110,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I read this,and still don't understand the laws of attraction.

Karma and LOA seem to conflict.
Not really. If you're a jerk to most people and only suck up to the "ones that count" -- while you might get ahead, sooner or later, you'll get smacked down.

Worked with a guy like this, and the powers that be thought he walked on water.

But we had an embezzlement case where everyone was looked closely at, and he profited from it (some of the money was spent on him), although he claimed no knowledge and they "believed" him (in other words couldn't prove otherwise), his reputation was damaged.

Then he knocked up a co-worker and felt pressure to marry her (and she was worse than him!), and year after all this stuff came down.... he's lost 75 pounds and is in ill health from anorexia and bulimia. And it became very clear he reached the pinnacle of his career at a low management point and ended up switching jobs.

His LOA was to suck up and get ahead, and it worked. And then it didn't, because he also fed into the chaos, by stepping on everyone else around him and taking, both money and credit ... and he attracted a lot of negativity, because what he was doing was very negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal