Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 05:07 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,396 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me make sense of this dream I had a couple of nights ago. It was so vivid I feel I can't just ignore it. I've read that dreams of death aren't actually premonitions, thank goodness, and that dreams involving children are more about your younger self but I couldn't figure this one out.
My son is a teenager in real life; however, in this dream he was between 8 and 10. Whenever he's in my dreams he's always either that age or a toddler, never his true age.
In the dream, the first time he almost died, we were on this stairwell that didn't have a railing. He falls off but I grab him by his arm and pull him back up. I remember seeing the grassy ground below him and remember thinking, "Wow, that's a long fall." The second time, it was nighttime and we were asleep. We were in my childhood home. Let me give you some background: We moved back in with my parents into this house when my son was 4. When he was 8, Hurricane Katrina hit, long story short we never moved back and stayed in Texas. Back to the dream, I was asleep in my bedroom and everthing started to shake like an earthquake. I looked out the window and it was flooded outside. My bedroom didn't have any water in it; however, I went to my son's bedroom down the hall and it was flooded. I found him in his bed submerged under water under this wooden board. I remember thinking, "Where did this board come from?" He didn't have anything like it in his room and it wasn't his headboard. I lifted the board, pulled him up and resuscitated him. He started to cry and said, "Why does this keep happening to me?" At this point, I must have woken myself up I guess because I remember thinking "Ok that's enough" and I woke up. Usually when I have dreams about him dying I wake up shaking, heart beating fast and a total mess. This time, I was very calm.
Maybe the dream doesn't mean anything, but like I said, it was so vivid how could it not. I read somewhere about kids dying in dreams could mean that you received some good news about something that had been weighing on you. I did receive some clarity on an assignment at work that day and I was really happy about that. What I was thinking it could be is that lately, I've been feeling detached from him, because he's 16, has his own life and I'm trying to get a life now since he's almost an adult. But I've been feeling detached for awhile and never had a dream like this. I am worried about his future because he doesn't quite know what he wants to do yet, but I figure that's normal and he still has time. Or maybe it doesn't have anything to do with him at all. I don't know.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 09:24 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
I know having this occur can be frightening, as a Mother I can sympathize with your worries. I know very little about interpreting your dream...wish I did. So, I did a bit of research...here are a few links. All three look very informative. Hope this helps.
An Online Guide To Dream Interpretation
Dream Interpretation - Find Dream Meanings at Dreamforth.com
Dream Analysis and Interpretation - Understanding Dreams

Old 04-20-2013, 11:31 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,774 times
Remembering something from a past life, maybe or could it be you are picking up on something that had happened on the land your house is on now? I hate those dreams, I have one that includes both my sons and them being beheaded.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,833 times
I believe these dreams are about the "death" of your little boy, as he grows up into a man. You are trying to "resuscitate" your old relationship with him (flood dream). You are "pulling him back" to you (stair dream). Probably very normal dream imagery for the parent of a teen.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,396 times
Thanks for all the helpful information. You've all given me lots to consider.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
If you have a tendency for premonitions, just take these dreams as possible warnings, and watch out for your son. Have a talk with him. Take the opportunity to close the distance. Teens love to have folks that really talk with and listen to them.
Hoping everything is ok. Sending prayers your way.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:08 AM

652 posts, read 873,710 times
My brother is notorious for having dreams of his own death. He dies almost every night in his dreams. I have said he is like a death dealers handbook for how it's done. I have dreams where people are trying to kill me and die for trying. Very few people are skilled at protecting themselves psychically, some even plan or cause their owns deaths in the dream state. Keep a close eye on your son. If you have these death dreams of him regularly, he should be ok.

Usually, mothers have an intuition when their sons or daughters are in trouble or death is imminent. I have studies mothers and they always seem to know in advance. None of them dreamed their deaths usually, they have this 6th sense that is part of the feminine mystique.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:17 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,347,765 times
All really good responses here. One of the most interesting courses I took was holistic counseling in '97, which included some classes in dream interpretation. I can't tell you how fascinating it was to hear others' dreams or nightmares & find a viable solution... it brought great relief to all of us to have a simple explanation & was taught from a more psychological point of view, rather than metaphysical.

We were taught that dreams, if not literal, are comprised of metaphors, myths, archetypes & symbols. The best way to interpret for oneself is to write down as many details as soon as possible since we forget quickly, leave it alone for a day or 2 so one is not approaching it from an emotional POV, then return to it to further expand upon details within any of the 5 categories. (I'll explain further below.) Ensure that you write down everything you can recall... words, colors, objects, oddities, animals... things like getting a glass of water or walking down a hallway may seem insignificant at the time, but you recall it or it stands out for a reason, so record it.

They can also be simple & literal (the 1st thing to always view)... a dream of flubbing an interview could be a normal fear if one is in the process of interviewing. For example, you mentioned Katrina. The flood water could be simply a mother's concern for her son should there be another flood.

Questions I'd ask with the first dream are:

1. Your son is falling... phrases which come to mind are falling from grace, falling in with the wrong crowd, falling away, falling back, taking the fall for someone, physically falling down, fallen woman. (These are all examples of things to ask yourself... I don't know you so fear not, I'm not making any judgments of any sort. These are q's we can all ask with any dream/nightmare.)

* With 'falling from grace', are you worried about his/your rejection of any religious/family/societal value & how he/you'll be perceived? For example, do you abhor swearing, smoking or another behavior, noticed/suspect he's begun to do that & worry about his fall from your family values or that you'll be judged for his fall?

* With 'falling in with the wrong crowd', is it because he's now 16, beginning to drive and/or becoming more independent, so your normal motherly worry is that this could be in his future? Or, that the independence is more him 'falling away' from motherly love & he won't need you anymore... hence the picture in your mind of his falling & your need to rescue him?

* With 'falling back', is there any habit or behavior which makes you feel or worry he's fallen backwards, such as with studies, eating poorly so falling back into bad diets he once had or not thinking ahead to his future for career, so you feel he's fallen back to being more childlike?

* With 'taking the fall', again, could he have a friend you don't trust & you feel he might be negatively influenced by him/her? Or, you've implied divorce, if I'm correct, so do you feel he feels guilty, or worry that he 'took the fall' in his own mind for the split?

* With 'physically falling down', did he just begin a sport or is now driving & it's a physical fear? Or, you fear if he does fall, you're worried about him 'picking himself up by his bootstraps'? (So, remembering a boot in a dream, for example, could seem insignificant, but might have meaning, if you see what I mean.)

* With 'fallen woman', you mentioned now that he's 16, you're ready to move on with your life. Is it a fear that he or someone else might view you in such a way due to religious views, for example? So, in essence, the dream might be more about you & your need to protect him or protect his view of you (when you catch him, he's 'looking up to' you.)

2. With the 2nd dream, phrases which come to mind are drowning sorrows, drowning in sorrow, keeping one's head above water... being bored (the board).

Questions I'd ask are:

* With 'drowning sorrows', is there any fear with him, you or family with too much drinking, or a past history of familial drinking which is what you worry about with him at his age, or that his independence might lead him to such behavior? It could have been something as simple as a car accident with partying teens you read about or schoolmates of his, so it's a normal motherly fear.

* With 'drowning in sorrow', is he depressed, lost a friend recently, not doing well in school/sports/activities/friends or did he just get a girlfriend & you fear a split at some point & a broken heart?

* With 'keeping one's head above water', are there worries about being spread too thin in schedule for you/him? Money woes & you worry about his future college education?

* With 'the board holding him down', are you worried that he's moody & bored & it may 'drown him' or 'kill him'?

Just a bit of food for thought. Hope this helps.

BTW, I've found that the dream books are too objective, therefore, not reliable because we all have different reactions to different words/symbols... dreams are far more subjective. For example, 2 people who dream of their mothers... 1 might love his/her mother & have a wonderful relationship with her so it's a comforting dream & the other might have the opposite relationship & mum brings feelings of dread/anger/fear. How could dreaming of mum be the same for each? A spider dream might scare the wits out of me because I'm afraid of them, for you, not so much.

Lastly, I agree with what others have said in that premonition is possible. So, if your son is helping grandpa build a staircase or fix the loose bannister next weekend, ensure extra safety, even if it means you are 'coincidentally' present to push dangerous wires to the side or move boxes someone might trip on. If he's going on an upcoming camping trip at a lake, make sure he's got his life vest & have the 'don't drink & drive, operate heavy machinery or swim' if you should go against my wishes & imbibe in any alcohol your friends might sneak into the tent.

Afterthought... any fears about feeling the need to save your son? Again, physically... he's wanting to drive a motorcycle & you wish he wouldn't, etc? As another said, it could simply be normal motherly love & concern about him becoming more independent. I just listed all the above because I love interpreting my own wacky or scary dreams... they're often far simpler than they initially seem.

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2013, 03:51 AM

691 posts, read 640,958 times
You are as cherished to the Spirit as your son is cherished to you. Only the Spirit can give life and in such is the only One that can save the life of a living spirit, but that is just my opinion.

Spoiler
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? 2 Cor 13:5

Old 05-19-2014, 01:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,259 times
Death in a dream is almost always a reflection of change. Negatively, it may also reflect feelings of total failure or loss. Quote from a dictionary.

"To dream about death represents change. Your personality or life situation is transforming for better or worse. An area of your life has come to an end, an era is over, or roles are shifting. You may also be preoccupied with someone else's death or illness. Alternatively, death in a dream can reflect failure or loss. " Original text from http://www.dreambible.com/search.php?q=Death
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal