U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,783,290 times

Advertisements

This isn't really "unexplained mysteries and paranormal" but this forum seems to be the one to post about dream-related things, so I hope it is OK. In fact, it was after commenting on another thread about dreams that made me think of the following.

Does anyone else have "dream places", i.e. place that only exist in one's dreams but that have been in multiple dreams.

When I was young, I had about 5 "dream places". The dreams themselves would be varied when it came to the "action" but they would often be set in the same "place" for months on end - places that didn't exist except in my dreams. The dreams stopped by adulthood but I can picture them clearly.

An example of one of my dream places was this beach that seemed to be on the edge of a lagoon or enclosed bay and surrounded by tropical vegetation and reached by a train - not like any place I've been to.

However, one place in another set of dreams (an area with pine trees in a slight valley) is very similar to where I live now.

Does anyone else have similar dream experiences?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 08:31 AM

3,748 posts, read 5,815,409 times
Indeed. I have a few myself but the one most often visited is a beach/bay which seems to be on an island, but I have never gone out of the little area to know what is beyond. I have been in the water though.
Sometimes there are shacks, little wood buildings built on the beach extending over the water, sometimes there is a large cement complex further up off the beach.
What props are there is relative to the dream theme, but the location is one I always recognize.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 AM

11,429 posts, read 19,443,622 times
I did this young -- and the place was this odd to me house. Queen Anne with mansard roof -- which I personally find very off putting.

I was always older, and there was always something unpleasant going on -- like no money, can't get groceries, stove fire -- adult problems.

Kicker is while on a Sunday ride with parents.... where we really went all over the place.... Daddy found it. It was such a striking house to him he stopped at the side of the road and really gave it look over. I sat in the car and was horrified.

I never asked him about it -- we never drove past it again. Maybe he was having the same dreams....

Old 05-13-2013, 11:10 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,265,344 times
Yes, I have had these "created dream environments" that I return to, throughout my life.

Do you dream about certain people you know in relationship to those places, too? Or do you even remember who else might have been in your dreams? Have you noticed a trend with these created environments showing up when something particular is going on in your life - such as - when you are ending a relationship, having trouble at work, are especially happy, are under a lot of stress, are starting a new job, etc?

Last edited by brokensky; 05-13-2013 at 11:24 AM..

Old 05-13-2013, 12:40 PM

12,900 posts, read 18,450,622 times
Oh yea, I have a whole menagerie of familiar "dream places" that I consistently come back to.

The most common one is my "basement"; it's supposed to be the basement of my current 100 year old house but it looks nothing like the real basement apart from being generally old and creepy. In my dreams the place is a complete maze of rooms and passgaes; I usually discover new rooms branching out, some remodeled and nice, others really scary and nasty. Some rooms are gymnasium sized and others tiny; sometimes I even find tunnels like mine shafts or caves.

I've come to realize it's actually a symbolic stand-in for my subconscious mind. There have been a couple of times that I've resolved a problem in real life and soon after in dreams found a pleasant, newly remodled room in the "basement" and/or areas in the process of being cleaned up and redone.

Another common "dreamspace" is the house I was a young teenager in; it was a large 70's era "cabin" style house that I loved in real life but in my dreams it's almost always a very scary, haunted place.

Usually I find my parents still living in it, even though we moved out when I was 16. I think this place has something to do with my past... maybe my unwillingness to let some of it go or childhood fears I'm still carrying around in my subconscious.

Your "dream places" probably have relevance in real life, it's an interesting experience to try to learn to speak you own personal "subconscious-ese".

Old 05-13-2013, 01:23 PM

10,328 posts, read 12,417,631 times
For me it seems to be Oceans, In a night setting a lot of the time.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:30 PM

3,748 posts, read 5,815,409 times
Quote:
I've come to realize it's actually a symbolic stand-in for my subconscious mind. There have been a couple of times that I've resolved a problem in real life and soon after in dreams found a pleasant, newly remodled room in the "basement" and/or areas in the process of being cleaned up and redone.
That is totally what basements are, the subconscious, and attics are our higher conscious.
Kitchens are supposed to represent mundane daily life.

Oceans and other bodies of water are representational of emotionally charged issues.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:32 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,026,086 times
My dream place was called Paradise. I know, lame, but that was what it was:

Located deep in the forest, down steep trails, across a stream and meadow and behind a small hill lies the most perfect little lake in the world... at least in my dream world.
I often visited this place with one friend - who actually helped me carve out some steps in a steep wall, and build a small bridge over the stream. She was banished when she stopped showing respect for the place.
Other friends were allowed to visit, but only those who showed proper respect for their surroundings were allowed to revisit this place with me.
I dreamed of Paradise for over 20 years; have not seen this place for a long time.

I did write a story about the place.

I now live in central Oregon. I seriously think that my Paradise is located somewhere in this state. I am so sure I am going to find it. I was drawn to this place.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:46 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,144,896 times
Hmmm, not sure if I've dreamt about a made up place more than once, but it seems these places are so real they must exist in another dimension. Often in my dreams real life places are strangely warped...like I've had dreams of driving to America, for instance.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:49 AM

15,874 posts, read 12,444,377 times
I often dream of what I consider my perfect place. It's a long drawnout town on a coastline, with great surf. There are numerous rocky headlands, with sandy beaches in between. The buildings seem to be wooden and rickety, with a 70s vibe. The look is often quite different, but it feels like the same town. Even though I seem to be driving around a lot, I seldom experience catching a wave.

Waking up always seems a little disappointing, that it's not real, but glad to have dreamt it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal