U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:33 PM

7,452 posts, read 7,506,205 times

Advertisements

I've never myself, but my mom has a sort of sad story from my grandfather's passing.

She is the youngest of four children and has two older brothers. My grandparents both worked when she was a little girl so the older siblings babysat her a lot. Sometimes the older brothers (my uncles) would tease or make fun of her when they babysat her, and she would go and hide in my grandpa's jacket. The unique smell of it reminded her of him, a mix of a horse stable smell (they had stables), cigarette smoke, and his cologne, and made her feel better.

On the night he passed away, some thirty years later, she woke up at about 3:00 AM to that exact smell. She said she immediately recognized it because it was so unique. It lasted for about 15 minutes and then went away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 06:48 PM

6,922 posts, read 8,626,636 times
I have had many since my partner passed away over twenty years ago.
We contact each other on a nightly basis, and have since his passing.
I have posted many times on this forum on my experiences since his passing.
Bob.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:57 AM

3,751 posts, read 6,731,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
I'm not sure if I believe in "signs"....but something has happened the last couple of years that has the family wondering.

My father in law was in a lot of pain in the years leading up to his death. Since he couldn't work, he planted a (very) small flower garden in front of the house. Even though he hated roses (the thorns mainly), but he planted one because my mother in law LOVES them...so it was his gift to her.

He died 5 years ago....that rose bush has bloomed on the anniversary of his death the last 3 years. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it for myself.
I have a rose that does the same thing.
The man I was with was murdered and one of my clients gave me $ for flowers. I found a white rose called 'honor' and knew that was the one to get since 'all honorable' was his reply when I asked him (when we first getting to know eachother) what his intentions where. Our first date was on Mother's Day night, so every Mother's Day since, I wake up to a single rose in full bloom. It is rather curious because I can see the bud for days before developing, but it does not open until that second Sunday in May.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:17 AM

8,814 posts, read 10,556,272 times
I was very close to my grandfather who passed away just over a year ago. He and I both were/are logical thinkers, and rejected the notion of life after death, ghosts, paranormal etc. He was very ill and knew he was going to die soon. During one of our last conversations, he told me that if he did in fact continue on in some form after death, he would come visit me to say hi and to rub it in that I'm wrong. I told him would love for him to do so. I'm still waiting.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:32 AM

12,983 posts, read 13,354,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I was very close to my grandfather who passed away just over a year ago. He and I both were/are logical thinkers, and rejected the notion of life after death, ghosts, paranormal etc. He was very ill and knew he was going to die soon. During one of our last conversations, he told me that if he did in fact continue on in some form after death, he would come visit me to say hi and to rub it in that I'm wrong. I told him would love for him to do so. I'm still waiting.
It is possible that he did/is but you're not seeing it because you expect something blatantly obvious, like TA DA Here I am W00 H00!!!, but it's something subtle like birds or butterflies or some other of the more common signs.

I wrote in this thread about my sister coming to say goodbye and then the phone rining and it being her husband saying she'd died. I also got a 'rep point from a nonmember' for that post!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:48 AM

8,814 posts, read 10,556,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
It is possible that he did/is but you're not seeing it because you expect something blatantly obvious, like TA DA Here I am W00 H00!!!, but it's something subtle like birds or butterflies or some other of the more common signs.

I wrote in this thread about my sister coming to say goodbye and then the phone rining and it being her husband saying she'd died. I also got a 'rep point from a nonmember' for that post!
Birds or butterflies? Why would they care about my dead grandfather?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:11 AM

12,983 posts, read 13,354,586 times
If you have no experience with what those 'in the know' say about how our loved ones signal their nearness, then nothing. Maybe there have been signs, but you just haven't noticed them because you were expecting something obvious. That is what I am trying to say.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:49 AM

13,592 posts, read 22,224,588 times
Quote:
It's not like they come back and stand at the end of your bed. It's subtle. It's finding pennies right after you think about them.

Just thought of one that happened to me -- a friend of mine was murdered, and I went to lay flowers at the site. Someone else showed up (I didn't know him), we talked and hugged. I got back into my car, turned it on.... the radio was silent for a second and some song that I felt had to be from my friend played.

So -- think of your grandfather, ask for a sign and see what happens.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:07 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,731,482 times
Quote:
They probably don't.
Butterflies and moths are symbols of a universal language the language of the Anima- world soul.
They have represented death for ages for many cultures.
Bird are the aspect of flight and freedom; a peace that comes with death.
The creatures themselves may or may not be conscious of their actions in these appearances, but perhaps they have been guided by those who have passed on. Perhaps it is the consciousness of the dead that temporarily occupies the butterfly or bird.

Coins, rainbows, sounds and scents are also much used ADCs
These are inanimate things, there is no caring ability, yet they show up quite often and in usual circumstances to be just a random coincidence.

Often signs are missed because of an expectation of what the sign could be.
Also, some ADCs will happen 5, 10, or 15 (and more) years after.
For some communications only happen when really needed. Such as if there is a crisis, or a need for protection from harm.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:59 PM

25 posts, read 62,387 times
I would like to think this counts-about 20 years ago,my boyfriend at the time died in a car accident.To make matters worse,my suspicions were confirmed that he was cheating on me,when at a party for him(he was in a heavy metal band)two of us stepped up to speak as his girlfriend.I was crushed,and had to wonder if he even loved me at all!I was driving down a familiar road one day,crying and cursing him,when I asked to see a sign that he had-and just then two ducks flew overhead,about 20 ft. above,a male and a female(ducks are a bird that mate for life).I took it in a positive way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal