Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 11:50 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times

Advertisements

Like bounty hunting and pawn shops and towing, Paranormal investigations have become very commercialized due to television exposure. Bringing an EMF meter and a tape recorder into an abandoned hotel does not really make one an investigator. it requires a strong knowledge of the subject, strong belief and research skills of the history of the places being visited. Often permits may be required also. Entering an unstable structure can be dangerous and long abandoned ones may have "residents" of the live human kind who will not be happy with the intrusion.

Some of these shows and the subject are interesting, Certainly I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 02:58 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
I would not mind being a paranormal investigator. Not many things scare me and while I really would not be in fear, the bumps, spookiness, chills and all that would give me a rush like a roller coaster ride.
I'm also a bit sensitive to ghosts, often I suspect one is around before they make thier presence known.
Beings my husband is a sound engineer, we have all kinds of recording equipment and programs to study any sounds or voices.

As far as science would have proved the existence of ghosts- science has tried and the results inconclusive. Because ghosts/hauntings don't have any technological benefits like more gas mileage per gallon, burn away fat, or cure cancer, it's not going to get too much focus from science.
But there are a small handful dedicated to the study. Eventually it will be proven.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:52 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
There are no such things as ghosts. If there were, they would have been scientifically verified long ago. And by scientists, not crackpots on TV shows.
That's what I thought until I saw a full body apparition 17 years ago.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:06 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
I would love to be a paranormal investigator and am actively seeking out a few like-minded compatible people to join me in doing some investigations.

I recently had made contact with a few people, through a job I had, and we were planning to start collecting the gear needed.

I am not fearful of spirits who have not crossed over, but I admit a bit of hesitancy in dealing with some of the negative ones.

I watch ''Dead Files'', ''Haunted Collector'', ,,Ghost Adventures'', ''My Ghost Story'', ''Paranormal Witness'', ''Celebrity Ghost Stories'', and ''Ghost Hunters''.

I find the historical, spiritual, and psychological aspects of all of it to be fascinating.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
I've had a full house, 5 visit, paranormal investigation done at my home. It was interesting to see the equipment measure and verify what I personally was experiencing. They captured multiple moving orbs which turned corners, following one investigator in particular - my dog was standing in the background watching the orb. There was also a case of an object being obviously turned around. The computer which translates electronic things into language was the most interesting. It revealed many things and it actually responded to my questions. I have always known there are "spirits" that somehow slip in and out of our dimension, but it was comforting to have it substantiated. The spirits don't bother me - I've learned to live with it, I know who they are, and it appears they like the home, or are past pets/friends/family of mine, that just stay about - I like to think - to watch over me.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
That's what I thought until I saw a full body apparition 17 years ago.
Please don't feed the trolls.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:11 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I would love to be a paranormal investigator and am actively seeking out a few like-minded compatible people to join me in doing some investigations. ... I watch ''Dead Files'', ''Haunted Collector'', ,,Ghost Adventures'', ''My Ghost Story'', ''Paranormal Witness'', ''Celebrity Ghost Stories'', and ''Ghost Hunters''.
Of the lot, I like Paranormal Witness the most, along with The Haunted on Animal Planet because they tell the best stories. Most of the others are a hodge-podge of personal observations (look at the hairs on my arms standing up), likely misinterpretations of normal house sounds and things seen in low light conditions (did you hear that?) and the few juicy bits might or might not be faked (or at least staged and cut to magnify what they experienced). After a while, they lose their entertainment value and certainly don't "prove" anything but reality shows are real money makers for the networks so we can expect more of them. The worst to me are Stranded and Deep South Paranormal.

I do find it amusing when Zak Bagans & co. record an EVP that sounds to me like "arg wargle (unintelligible) kablooey (unintelligible)" then say something like "OMG: did you hear that? It said Zak is going to die tonight!!"

Old 06-23-2015, 09:41 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Quote:
I do find it amusing when Zak Bagans & co. record an EVP that sounds to me like "arg wargle (unintelligible) kablooey (unintelligible)" then say something like "OMG: did you hear that? It said Zak is going to die tonight!!"
I do agree but.. I think you probably get 'an ear' for the EVPs and so you can say through experience what it is the spirit is probably saying. I live with a foreigner and you do get used to the way they speak whereas others find it difficult to adjust to their accent perhaps.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:21 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I know a lot of people have really panned "The Dead Files," and I can't speak for Steve DIschiavi, but I "sort of met" Amy Allan in '97 when she was living in the basement at Dr. William Roll's house, where I went for a consultation. He was in my area (West Georgia), and she came up the stairs but stopped and then put her hand over her mouth and smiled at us when she realized he had "company." That girl seems very, very "out there" when she travels and inspects these "haunted" places, but I know she trained with him, and he was a megaforce in the parapsychological field at West Georgia College. He/they lived in a very nice, gated community with a lake out back, and sadly, he died last year, but I'll never forget that visit because he really validated a lot of very personal things for me and flushed out some really old tapes and cobwebs that had existed since childhood. He didn't even invite me; I just called him, said I wanted to see him the next day, and he said, "Sure!" Very cool and very intelligent man. So even though Amy's a little dramatic, to say the least, she would not have been living there had she not already proved her abilities to Dr. Roll, who I consider one of the finest yet most cautiously optimistic researchers. So that's my take on the paranormal shows out there. That's the only one I watch.
Funny how answers come to you without looking...just happened to look at this older Davros thread. Talking to someone recently who watches the show; asked me if I thought Amy Allen legit? Have my answer.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:43 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Funny how answers come to you without looking...just happened to look at this older Davros thread. Talking to someone recently who watches the show; asked me if I thought Amy Allen legit? Have my answer.
Honestly -- this is my can't miss show. Once again -- she's great to watch, and I love the research. I've always enjoyed research. There's nothing like walking around in the stacks of a library and finding a treasure.

While in college, I read THE KING OF THE CONFESSORS by Thomas Hoving, about the Bury St Edmunds cross. It read like a spy novel... very fun, and I found the book he used to help authenticate the cross -- the Chronicle of Jocelyn of Brakelond. Hadn't been checked out since 1929. SO cool. Read it -- hard to read.

Then looking for something else I found a book that listed immigration into US ship lists.... and found my 5th great grandfather....SO cool.... I love research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal