U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 07:50 PM

3,605 posts, read 5,352,201 times

Advertisements

It's got to be like being Doctor Who or traveling with him.

I think being a paranormal investigator looks like a lot of fun, but I'd be too scared to do it. I've always been extremely scared of ghosts and aliens and the like. If I see a big meteor on a dark night star gazing, I get a chill down my spine and I hurry inside as fast as I can. If I see a scary movie, I can't sleep for at least a couple of nights. I never go camping, partly because of certain movies I've seen. Ghost stories back in school used to give me the creeps, and I couldn't sleep after hearing one.

I'd be too scared to travel with Doctor Who also.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 08:34 PM

32,837 posts, read 18,619,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
It's got to be like being Doctor Who or traveling with him.

I think being a paranormal investigator looks like a lot of fun, but I'd be too scared to do it. I've always been extremely scared of ghosts and aliens and the like. If I see a big meteor on a dark night star gazing, I get a chill down my spine and I hurry inside as fast as I can. If I see a scary movie, I can't sleep for at least a couple of nights. I never go camping, partly because of certain movies I've seen. Ghost stories back in school used to give me the creeps, and I couldn't sleep after hearing one.

I'd be too scared to travel with Doctor Who also.
Nothing wrong with feeling fear of the unknown. We all have it, some moreso than others. I prefer not to mess with things that are beyond my knowledge.

If it's in my home, that's one thing. But I would not go thrill seeking simply because I have a healthy respect for the vast unknown.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:20 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,276,499 times
I know a lot of people have really panned "The Dead Files," and I can't speak for Steve DIschiavi, but I "sort of met" Amy Allan in '97 when she was living in the basement at Dr. William Roll's house, where I went for a consultation. He was in my area (West Georgia), and she came up the stairs but stopped and then put her hand over her mouth and smiled at us when she realized he had "company." That girl seems very, very "out there" when she travels and inspects these "haunted" places, but I know she trained with him, and he was a megaforce in the parapsychological field at West Georgia College. He/they lived in a very nice, gated community with a lake out back, and sadly, he died last year, but I'll never forget that visit because he really validated a lot of very personal things for me and flushed out some really old tapes and cobwebs that had existed since childhood. He didn't even invite me; I just called him, said I wanted to see him the next day, and he said, "Sure!" Very cool and very intelligent man. So even though Amy's a little dramatic, to say the least, she would not have been living there had she not already proved her abilities to Dr. Roll, who I consider one of the finest yet most cautiously optimistic researchers. So that's my take on the paranormal shows out there. That's the only one I watch.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:25 AM

13,592 posts, read 22,224,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I know a lot of people have really panned "The Dead Files," and I can't speak for Steve DIschiavi, but I "sort of met" Amy Allan in '97 when she was living in the basement at Dr. William Roll's house, where I went for a consultation. He was in my area (West Georgia), and she came up the stairs but stopped and then put her hand over her mouth and smiled at us when she realized he had "company." That girl seems very, very "out there" when she travels and inspects these "haunted" places, but I know she trained with him, and he was a megaforce in the parapsychological field at West Georgia College. He/they lived in a very nice, gated community with a lake out back, and sadly, he died last year, but I'll never forget that visit because he really validated a lot of very personal things for me and flushed out some really old tapes and cobwebs that had existed since childhood. He didn't even invite me; I just called him, said I wanted to see him the next day, and he said, "Sure!" Very cool and very intelligent man. So even though Amy's a little dramatic, to say the least, she would not have been living there had she not already proved her abilities to Dr. Roll, who I consider one of the finest yet most cautiously optimistic researchers. So that's my take on the paranormal shows out there. That's the only one I watch.
I love Dead Files -- but can you imagine if the psychic was dry and deadpan? How awful would that be? You get the feeling that she's not just "seeing" these people, she's feeling them and what they felt -- YIKES.

And I love the research. I do genealogy so the research is right up my alley.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:02 AM

745 posts, read 973,514 times
There are no such things as ghosts. If there were, they would have been scientifically verified long ago. And by scientists, not crackpots on TV shows.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:07 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,639,286 times
I've had several at a former house. Some are good. Some are terrible. They all tried though and not one charged.

I'd NEVER be one. We attract too much paranormal stuff on our own without visiting other places. NO THANKS!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:48 PM

13,145 posts, read 20,406,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
There are no such things as ghosts. If there were, they would have been scientifically verified long ago. And by scientists, not crackpots on TV shows.
Scientists are never gonna verify something they immediately dismiss and refuse to even look for.

That said, if it's on TV it's probably entertainment, not a "scientific investigation".

Old 06-23-2013, 06:14 AM

4,519 posts, read 4,011,159 times
Since you have made a definite statement of fact which you cannot possibly know IS fact, I will say this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83
Yes.. I gues you love your science, dont you. If you were a true scientist you would approach everything in the humble knowledge that the Universe still has a lot to teach us rather than the arrogant statement you have just made.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:35 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,384,844 times
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

"Well, golly gee folks, WE don't have the tools to test for the presence of ghosts, and don't know how, and WE don't see 'em, soooo they don't exist".

Noooooo, sorry scientists.

My experience with ghosts was....eerie. Not bad, just strange.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:03 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,444,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Since you have made a definite statement of fact which you cannot possibly know IS fact, I will say this.
Yes.. I gues you love your science, dont you. If you were a true scientist you would approach everything in the humble knowledge that the Universe still has a lot to teach us rather than the arrogant statement you have just made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal