U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 PM
 
11,485 posts, read 19,571,743 times
Reputation: 18246

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW666 View Post
Interesting,Thank You!! I may try that. Any ideas on how to make the planchette?
In the English movies I've seen they've all use clear drinking glasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2013, 12:21 AM
 
18,233 posts, read 16,596,752 times
Reputation: 9854
I remember many years ago there was a great all day talk station in Philly WWDB 96.5, well before the days that nationally syndicated ruined talk radio. They had many great area hosts who'd talk about anything and everything local and social not just national politics.
Anywho, they had a lady host on, her name was Diane Raymond. I liked her and she was a change of pace from the older guys who were curmudgeons. She even did a fill in spot for Larry King on his show when he was on radio.
One night they got into a discussion about ghosts and ouija boards and she shared a story when she was a teenager and attended a sleepover. She ended up calling her parents and leaving and described some of the odd happenings and how something they contacted fixated on her. She sounded deadly serious and didn't like talking about it. She did say the planchette thing floated and followed her. Creepy.
That said, my sister had one and we messed around with it but could never get it to work. Just as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 AM
 
793 posts, read 229,816 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
In the English movies I've seen they've all use clear drinking glasses.
You're right,drinking glasses are used as planchettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 01:04 AM
 
Location: Ft. Myers
15,946 posts, read 9,871,598 times
Reputation: 34899
I figure why tempt fate............I have never had one and never will !!! This is going to sound funny, but I have a strange feeling about my bedroom. More than a few times when I am in bed I feel what seems like what you would feel if a cat jumped up on the bed. We have 3 cats but they are locked out of our bedrooms. I will be laying there and you feel this "plop" on top of the mattress. Like I said, that has happened probably a half dozen times.

But the weirdest one was the other night. I was asleep with my arm hanging down over the side of the bed and I felt something distinctly grab my hand and tug on it. It startled me and I thought one of the cats had gotten into my room so I walked out into the living room and all 3 were sound asleep in various places. I told my Son about it and he said I was probably dreaming, but the tug was so noticeable it woke me out of a sound sleep. I have chills typing this post.


Don

Last edited by don1945; 06-19-2013 at 01:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 12:36 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
17,772 posts, read 21,967,471 times
Reputation: 45127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
In the English movies I've seen they've all use clear drinking glasses.

Generally a small brandy glass or a light old school wine glass - not a huge one.

Again, I do not recommend using one. You will either have no result or you will open a door that will be difficult to close.

I said that one does not need to buy a Ouija board from a toy company and some how, when we attach the name of a toy manufacturer to the Ouija board, it becomes trivialized and makes those of us who have had horrible experiences with one, as though we are two cans short of a six pack.

I can assure you that I am in no way, endorsing the use of the Ouija board. What I am saying is that the evil is not in a piece of particle board inscribed with letters made by a toy company.
I have made one my self and used a brandy glass - it works.

There is nothing wrong with a brandy glass, a poster board, and a Sharpie are not inherently evil.
If you draw the letters and numbers, "yes","no" and "Goodbye" then tip the glass over, and invite contact with another dimension, then you do open a portal.

The most likely place that you will contact will be the Astral Plane.

The beings that you will speak to are not nice.

BTW I am not afraid to touch a Ouija board or even to have one in my home. Unless it is used, it's innocuous.

That said, I would not have one in my home because I have teenagers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 07:16 PM
 
12,668 posts, read 14,721,507 times
Reputation: 14273
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I figure why tempt fate............I have never had one and never will !!! This is going to sound funny, but I have a strange feeling about my bedroom. More than a few times when I am in bed I feel what seems like what you would feel if a cat jumped up on the bed. We have 3 cats but they are locked out of our bedrooms. I will be laying there and you feel this "plop" on top of the mattress. Like I said, that has happened probably a half dozen times.

But the weirdest one was the other night. I was asleep with my arm hanging down over the side of the bed and I felt something distinctly grab my hand and tug on it. It startled me and I thought one of the cats had gotten into my room so I walked out into the living room and all 3 were sound asleep in various places. I told my Son about it and he said I was probably dreaming, but the tug was so noticeable it woke me out of a sound sleep. I have chills typing this post.


Don
That happened to me many, many times after my cat disappeared, never to return. It started within a couple of months of her disappearance, when I still had hope that she'd find her way home. So when I would feel her jump on the bed, I would be overjoyed thinking she was home, only to turn on the light and see nothing was there. It happened repeatedly. I also would wake up and feel her sleeping against my legs, and again was happy thinking she'd come home. I'd turn on the light and there was nothing there. It finally stopped happening. My husband thinks I'm nuts, but we have had a total of four cats, one at a time, over the last 29 years and the ONLY time this happened is with that one cat that disappeared. I had a another cat die two weeks ago and I HOPE something similar happens with her, but so far nothing. What I am getting at is I were just a crazy cat lady, I would maybe claim that I experienced that every time one of my cats died. But it's only happened with that one cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 PM
 
11,485 posts, read 19,571,743 times
Reputation: 18246
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Generally a small brandy glass or a light old school wine glass - not a huge one.

Again, I do not recommend using one. You will either have no result or you will open a door that will be difficult to close.

I said that one does not need to buy a Ouija board from a toy company and some how, when we attach the name of a toy manufacturer to the Ouija board, it becomes trivialized and makes those of us who have had horrible experiences with one, as though we are two cans short of a six pack.

I can assure you that I am in no way, endorsing the use of the Ouija board. What I am saying is that the evil is not in a piece of particle board inscribed with letters made by a toy company.
I have made one my self and used a brandy glass - it works.

There is nothing wrong with a brandy glass, a poster board, and a Sharpie are not inherently evil.
If you draw the letters and numbers, "yes","no" and "Goodbye" then tip the glass over, and invite contact with another dimension, then you do open a portal.

The most likely place that you will contact will be the Astral Plane.

The beings that you will speak to are not nice.

BTW I am not afraid to touch a Ouija board or even to have one in my home. Unless it is used, it's innocuous.

That said, I would not have one in my home because I have teenagers.
Especially because the Ouija board is supposed to be a game -- I mean -- the name is yes yes. Once in French and once in German, but the practice of what the game is far older than Parker Brothers (now Hasbro).

I was raised United Methodist, and I was in junior high school when the movie "The Exorcist" came out. Everybody seemed to know someone who knew someone who knew someone who was exorcised or involved in one.... and the movie did rattle a number of kids. Who were technically too young to see it anyway, but pretty much everyone did.

In my MYF (Methodist Youth Fellowship) group, one of us asked the Reverend about this movie and demons, and our Reverend said something that stuck with me. It's not very profound, but it was real.

If you don't open yourself up to this, you will never have to deal with it.

It was common, because you're young and you're exploring things, that at parties you'd "have a sťance" -- usually involving turning out the lights and staring into a candle flame while some one invokes the spirit of Abraham Lincoln (I don't know why, but it always seemed to be Lincoln...) then someone would see a shadow and scream and it would be over.

I would not participate. I never thought it was a good idea.

I did play with Ouija boards, but to me it was a game. Does Mark like me -- push it to yes. Will I marry Davey? Push it to no. To me it was no more accurate than asking the apple or the banana. (Twirl the stem of the apple -- with each twist say the alphabet and when the stem comes off that's the initial of the man you're going to marry -- the banana was ask a yes/no question and cut the end off the banana and you will see a "Y" for yes.... trust me -- it's always yes.)

Until I met a girl who had a spirit in her Ouija board..... totally creeped me out...I could tell it was NOT a game -- not for her. So never again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Under the Redwoods
3,748 posts, read 5,862,839 times
Reputation: 5962
I've always been the oddball on this subject.
I've used the oujia and other spirit boards on many occasions and only once was I witness to some 'scary' stuff. It was scary because everyone else was freaked out by it, me, I just laughed. Everyone one was freaking themselves out. When bringing out an oujia board in this day and age (thanks to the formentioned, Excorsist), people expect to have scary stuff happen. I see it as a 'set-up'.
Every time I have used a board with serious people, those who are not expecting something scary, nothing bad ever came of it. Something's that happened where 'freaky' in a 'wow, did that just really happen?' sort of way.
I've never had anything linger, as in what ever came through always went back.

I think that a lot of the horror stories that stem from board use is pure imagination. I say this partly because it is simple human nature to want to have some sort of fantastical explination for odd occurrences, partly because historically when spirit boards were all the rage during the last half of the 1800's, if there was an inherent evil aspect with its use, we would have many stories and documentation from that era that shows it to be so.
People did not fear them back then, but people fear them now.
And if there is some truth in this 'evil doorway' concept, perhaps that is totally dependent upon the attitude of the users. Which would mean that the person themselves is the actual doorway. What ever means used to summon a spirit would not matter. Ouija boards are quite accessible so we have more events from this method.
If a spirit is mischievous or malicious, it is logical to think that the spirit is going to seek out and mess with the weaker ones, those who are in fear. Perhaps these spirits have not messed with me because I refuse to give them any power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 PM
 
18,856 posts, read 30,641,242 times
Reputation: 26010
A Ouija board seems like a harmless, parlor game, until something really unexplained, and completely creepy happens. When you experience that, you throw that "toy" away, in a dumpster as far away from your home that you can find, and hope you never have that experience again.

And when you think about that experience, you still get chills. It is a reminder, that there really are unexplained phenomenas in the world, that we have no inkling of how or why those things happened, only that it was completely out of our control, and with no concrete, logical explanation...is it "spirits"? Or tapping into some psychic energy? I am not sure, but...I don't want to mess with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Ft. Myers
15,946 posts, read 9,871,598 times
Reputation: 34899
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That happened to me many, many times after my cat disappeared, never to return. It started within a couple of months of her disappearance, when I still had hope that she'd find her way home. So when I would feel her jump on the bed, I would be overjoyed thinking she was home, only to turn on the light and see nothing was there. It happened repeatedly. I also would wake up and feel her sleeping against my legs, and again was happy thinking she'd come home. I'd turn on the light and there was nothing there. It finally stopped happening. My husband thinks I'm nuts, but we have had a total of four cats, one at a time, over the last 29 years and the ONLY time this happened is with that one cat that disappeared. I had a another cat die two weeks ago and I HOPE something similar happens with her, but so far nothing. What I am getting at is I were just a crazy cat lady, I would maybe claim that I experienced that every time one of my cats died. But it's only happened with that one cat.
Strange you should mention that........in two years we lost 4 cats due to age, they were between 15 and 17 years old. One cat in particular, Scooter, was my lap cat, the others were close too, but Scooter was the Queen of the house and was constantly with me. I cried like a baby when they all passed.

I am not prone to imagining things, and this thump that happens on the bed is very distinctive. I will be laying still and it is just as if a cat has jumped up on there. There was also no mistaking that something grabbed my fingers when they were hanging over the bed side. It was a firm tug, and like I said, I thought for sure one of our 3 cats sneaked into the room somehow, but they hadn't.

I know this all sounds unbelievable, but I know what I felt.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top