U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:01 AM

2,731 posts, read 3,014,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I knew a few kids during high school who were into the supernatural and used one. They claimed things went bad, And the board flew away from them and slid up a wall. Later phenomena according to them ranged from whispering voices to a coffee table that started to come after them. I have a hard time believing it honestly that a Milton Bradley manufactured Ouija board caused all that. If it was an antique one it would be more believable to me but not by much.
This stuff I can believe because I sat in a seance once and the table raised above our heads - we were sitting down with all our hands on the surface.

Now.. I dont know if it is spirits entities or our own energy being used but this definitely happens. I was younger and wanted to find out about ghosties and the idea that there may be a life-after-death intrigued me. I have no doubt that there are beings which move about in other dimensions - since we cannot see/feel them normally and I have done stuff with pendulums which leads me to believe that time is not what we think it is either.

I think the secret societies of the early 20th century had a lot of knowledge about the unusual and there are many books from this period which describe what they thought was going on. I am sure some were fakes, but I am equally sure that there were some real ones - genuine magicians, too.

Basically, we dont know what goes on since most of us cannot see and absolutely no idea how things work we can only convince ourselves (and not others) of the danger of these things. It is useless for me to try to persuade others that the ouija board is anything more than a game, and I would be trying to influence you against your free will choice.

There are a lot of people for whom seeing is believing and until something is experienced they will not believe it. Most of us like to learn through our own mistakes rather than the experiences/mistakes of others. Thats our choice and we have to live with those choices. You are in control of your life and therefor you need to be responsible for the choices you make - both the good ones and the bad ones. Good luck.

If you believe that we are here to learn stuff, then make sure that you only need to learn your life lessons once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 PM

5,891 posts, read 11,130,093 times
When I was attending a church-sponsored college, I made friends with a rather strange girl who had transferred from a state university. She definitely had "powers" of some kind. We used to play with a Ouija board in my room, and we would get strange messages that we would often have to research to obtain their full meanings. Sometimes a spirit would come on the board, and the flame of our candle would shoot up real high. Certain spirits would come, and we would have difficult getting them to leave. My roommate and I were often afraid to go to bed after such a session.

One day some legalistic church-going girls from another college came and confiscated our Ouija board and burned it, saying it was evil. I have never owned or touched another one, and I don't really care to.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:08 PM

4,077 posts, read 3,314,464 times
We lived with our grandparents and my grandmother and her cousin were mediums (or wanna-be mediums). They used to have seances in our house using a Ouija board when I was very young (4-5 years old), but when the table levitated and moved around the room, they freaked out and burned the board in the back yard; my mother told me that when they did so, a humanoid form seemed to reach out from the smoke toward them.

Starting about that age, I would hear my name called, and ended up experiencing with my family a lot of strange experiences in the house. When I moved to a house I rented with some friends a couple of miles away, it was going from the frying pan to the fire ... I would call that place profoundly haunted. Since moving away from my home town area in the early 1970s, I haven't experienced anything like those experiences.

I have to wonder if something followed me from the house I grew up in to the new location, and I got away from it only by moving more than a hundred miles away to finish college. Whatever you want to call them: spirits, elementals, demons, dark shadows from the subconscious, whatever ... my own experience tells me these are not the souls of the dead (though they may pretend to be for their own purposes), they are not human in the sense we understand human, and they definitely don't wish us well.

It's not the physical board that matters; as someone else pointed out, you can create your own board with cardboard and use a teacup or something for a planchette. It's the invitation to the unknown to come to the table and interact with us that's the real danger. Fact is, you'll hear a lot of paranormal investigators and mediums warning about the dangers of the Ouija board ... but people keep messing with them. I wouldn't be in the same room with one, myself.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:33 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,001,478 times
The Chinese also has its own version of ouija board, which is much, much older than the Western version.

It's a fortune-telling tool from a very spiritual culture.

The text warns about properly inviting and dismissing the spirit to avoid the possibility of being possessed:

Old 07-17-2013, 05:46 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,722,440 times
Yeah, I get annoyed when I hear people say "it's just a game made by Parker Brothers!"

I won't ever use one again. Not worth the trouble!

Old 07-20-2013, 04:59 AM

4,066 posts, read 3,607,428 times
It is a divinational tool and like most of them is a portal.game companies also make tarrot cards and we know how those work. You dont know whats on the other side burning it is the proper way to despose and destory it, tarrot and other tools, followed by consecration of the area. If you collect them, they need to be consecrated and sealed by the likes of a grand priest/priestess.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:30 PM

3,748 posts, read 5,862,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
It is a divinational tool and like most of them is a portal.game companies also make tarrot cards and we know how those work. You dont know whats on the other side burning it is the proper way to despose and destory it, tarrot and other tools, followed by consecration of the area. If you collect them, they need to be consecrated and sealed by the likes of a grand priest/priestess.
First, it is taRot....just one 'r'.... And as for 'we know how those work'....what is YOUR understanding on how they work? 'We' likely have a different understanding than you do.
Most divination tools are NOT portals, and one with the know how does not need a tool to open a portal. Portals are opened by people, not boards or pendulums, or cards....
And again, anyone with the know how can cleanse their items or surroundings; no grand anyone needed.
I collect and read tarot, some of my decks are true collectors items that are no longer in print and even in their used condition, they could be sold for hundreds of dollars. I have one deck that the last time I checked on availability was selling for over $600. NO WAY am I going to burn my decks!
I have not ever had anything 'come through' while owning or using my cards. They are just cards.
Physical items like these have no power in and of themselves. The power and ability, availability is through the spirit, be it the spirit of those using these things or the spirit on the other side that is determined to be acknowledged. And, they are not always bad and evil.

When I use my cards, I am not summoning any spirits. What I see in the cards guides my spirit to present a message that is retrievable from the Anima Mundi. Each card has a specific set of meanings, it's no different than knowing the sum of 34 and 27 or the product of 4 and 8. I have committed those meanings to memory and relay that information and advise...Advice! There are times when my intuition tells me things when reading and I know that the person I am reading for has be unfaithful or that someone close to them is ill and so on. But that knowing comes from ME....and not the cards. Intuition works with OR without cards.

And yes- oujia is just a board made by a toy company. It is the people using it that create the experience....which they can do without the board.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:52 PM

4,066 posts, read 3,607,428 times
Okay, whatever. I am not about to argue about wether some divinational tools are portals or not. I did say some not all and tarot cards and ouija boards are two that are. I never mentioned or cared about monetary worth of anything you owned or in general. I didnt say you had to burn anything, only that it is proper DISPOSAL for most things. A buddy of mine had a necronomicon tarot deck he had to burn because of the evil spirit in it. Im not going to argue with whatever you are talking about.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:05 PM

3,748 posts, read 5,862,839 times
No argument- just as you are entitled to make your opinions statements of fact, so am I.
I was only expressing what I know from many years of study and experience, as well as the experience of many other users. No tarot reader I know, and I know many, have ever or will ever say that cards are portals or can contain evil spirits.
All of them would say that they are just pieces of cardboard with pretty pictures on them.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:12 PM

793 posts, read 229,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
No argument- just as you are entitled to make your opinions statements of fact, so am I.
I was only expressing what I know from many years of study and experience, as well as the experience of many other users. No tarot reader I know, and I know many, have ever or will ever say that cards are portals or can contain evil spirits.
All of them would say that they are just pieces of cardboard with pretty pictures on them.
Well said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal