U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:50 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,814,539 times

Advertisements

these are fantastic stories.

if you are the one who alluded to this story several months ago, i remember we might have been talking about in conjunction with the whole "men in black" phenom. i remember reading that often people who have had alien encounters would receive these phone calls- with a speeded up voice, maniacal laughter, and static. those were sort of hallmarks of those sorts of telephone calls.

i am not saying i believe that this is what happened in your case, but it is also worth mentioning.

and btw, that whole setting is the perfect one for something creepy to happen, bar none. i mean, how gothic novel could you get? (shivers)

i am really interested in the sort of mingling of science and the paranormal- the tendency for energies to interfere with things like lights, be able to imprint themselves on tape or other devices (especially when they were not heard initially, but only on playback), spirit photography, that sort of thing. if these things are real, which i believe they are (tho not in all cases) then they would be comprised of some kind of matter. energy is never destroyed, only transformed. so it should be measurable, or at least detectable, in some way.

for some reason i would think that the phone would be a perfect conduit for energies. you are dealing with an analog device, for one thing, which i think is easier to "enter" than a digital device. at least in those days. i believe that all or most of the original trunk lines have been replaced with fiber optic cable. and everything is traceable- one look at your cell phone will tell you who is calling and your phone can be pinged off towers to triangulate your location. but i think that the ordinary rotary telephone was probably much more of a likely "line" in the sense that it operated in an analog fashion. just as i think it would be easier for a spirit to drain the batteries of your flashlight than say, send you an email. but that's just me thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 10:13 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,450,222 times
I'll tell you another story that happened to me in 2004 and this involved an electronic device, though not a phone.

We have a local author who does books about haunted locations all over the state. She also used to go around doing talks at local bookstores.

I was quite a fan and during one of her appearances I approached her and told her about a haunted historical location that I worked at. She asked me to submit my stories to her on email for publication in her next book.

So I did just that a few months later after collecting stories and quotes from co-workers about their experiences at the site.

I emailed it all to her, saved the document on my hard drive and yahoo account, and she acknowledged receipt of it all.

As the months moved toward the publication date, she emailed me several times, thanking me for the narrative and expressing excitement about including it in her next book.

One night I got a phone call from her. She told me that the book was ready for the local printer but that somehow MY narrative submission had been lost on her hard drive and paper files! She was very upset about this and asked if I could resend them to her immediately. I said ''of course''.

I looked on my hard drive, no file. On my original email, no file. On my yahoo account, no file. In my recycle bin, no file.

It was no where to be found on my computer or hers!

It was then that I recalled a story of hers in her first book about spirits working through computers when another woman kept emailing her a story about her deceased dad and the email would not go through and letters sent never arrived.

The book was published, my name is in the credits, but my stories do not appear. I never found them. I guess the ghosts wanted their privacy.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 AM

18,475 posts, read 22,928,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I'll tell you another story that happened to me in 2004 and this involved an electronic device, though not a phone.

We have a local author who does books about haunted locations all over the state. She also used to go around doing talks at local bookstores.

I was quite a fan and during one of her appearances I approached her and told her about a haunted historical location that I worked at. She asked me to submit my stories to her on email for publication in her next book.

So I did just that a few months later after collecting stories and quotes from co-workers about their experiences at the site.

I emailed it all to her, saved the document on my hard drive and yahoo account, and she acknowledged receipt of it all.

As the months moved toward the publication date, she emailed me several times, thanking me for the narrative and expressing excitement about including it in her next book.

One night I got a phone call from her. She told me that the book was ready for the local printer but that somehow MY narrative submission had been lost on her hard drive and paper files! She was very upset about this and asked if I could resend them to her immediately. I said ''of course''.

I looked on my hard drive, no file. On my original email, no file. On my yahoo account, no file. In my recycle bin, no file.

It was no where to be found on my computer or hers!

It was then that I recalled a story of hers in her first book about spirits working through computers when another woman kept emailing her a story about her deceased dad and the email would not go through and letters sent never arrived.

The book was published, my name is in the credits, but my stories do not appear. I never found them. I guess the ghosts wanted their privacy.

What author is this? I'd really like to read it! Fascinating story!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:45 AM

18,475 posts, read 22,928,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
these are fantastic stories.

if you are the one who alluded to this story several months ago, i remember we might have been talking about in conjunction with the whole "men in black" phenom. i remember reading that often people who have had alien encounters would receive these phone calls- with a speeded up voice, maniacal laughter, and static. those were sort of hallmarks of those sorts of telephone calls.

i am not saying i believe that this is what happened in your case, but it is also worth mentioning.

and btw, that whole setting is the perfect one for something creepy to happen, bar none. i mean, how gothic novel could you get? (shivers)

i am really interested in the sort of mingling of science and the paranormal- the tendency for energies to interfere with things like lights, be able to imprint themselves on tape or other devices (especially when they were not heard initially, but only on playback), spirit photography, that sort of thing. if these things are real, which i believe they are (tho not in all cases) then they would be comprised of some kind of matter. energy is never destroyed, only transformed. so it should be measurable, or at least detectable, in some way.

for some reason i would think that the phone would be a perfect conduit for energies. you are dealing with an analog device, for one thing, which i think is easier to "enter" than a digital device. at least in those days. i believe that all or most of the original trunk lines have been replaced with fiber optic cable. and everything is traceable- one look at your cell phone will tell you who is calling and your phone can be pinged off towers to triangulate your location. but i think that the ordinary rotary telephone was probably much more of a likely "line" in the sense that it operated in an analog fashion. just as i think it would be easier for a spirit to drain the batteries of your flashlight than say, send you an email. but that's just me thinking.

Two things - first I agree that the phone seems to be a perfect vessel and a device for spirit manipulation and contact. It's almost like an electronic ouija board! The experience I recounted was with analog phones as it was in the 70. Not rotary, but still analog. Yet there is a poster who has had that experience with a cell phone.

Second, do you think that there could be alien involvement?

The story has a Part Two, that did not happen to me, but to my terrified cousin.

Years later, she was a journalist on assignment in New Orleans. Her publisher put her up in an old New Orleans hotel that is reputed to be haunted.
Far from being fearful, she was excited by this prospect - we both have a life long fascination with the paranormal.

That is, she was excited until the calls began. And, it was from something who was familiar.

Remember that summer back in 1979 and the call that we received that rainy night?
It came back!

My cousin returned from work and dinner. She had retired to her room for the evening and was working on some editing when the phone rang.
There was a sound of static and then the voice repeating "hello, hello, hello! ..." over and over. It was that same intergender voice. The repeated "hellos" were followed by maniacal laughter.
She hung up and called the desk.

It was the late 1980s and this was an old hotel. The calls were still being handled by a switch board operator. There had been NO CALLS to her room that night. None that had passed through the switch board at least.

She was very unsettled and went down to the hotel bar and had a drink.

Once again, she went to her room. This time she called me. I was living in New York City. I tried to calm her down and suggested that she change rooms, which she was able to do the next day.

But not before It called again at 3AM! The same call the same creepy "Hellos" interspersed with crazed laughter.

She complained to the desk, and sensed that they thought she was a little crazy. Not a good feeling.

The next night it happened again.

I suggested that she move to another hotel. And she did. This time choosing a chain hotel, with no haunted history.

You guessed it, it happened again.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Two things - first I agree that the phone seems to be a perfect vessel and a device for spirit manipulation and contact. It's almost like an electronic ouija board! The experience I recounted was with analog phones as it was in the 70. Not rotary, but still analog. Yet there is a poster who has had that experience with a cell phone.

Second, do you think that there could be alien involvement?

The story has a Part Two, that did not happen to me, but to my terrified cousin.

Years later, she was a journalist on assignment in New Orleans. Her publisher put her up in an old New Orleans hotel that is reputed to be haunted.
Far from being fearful, she was excited by this prospect - we both have a life long fascination with the paranormal.

That is, she was excited until the calls began. And, it was from something who was familiar.

Remember that summer back in 1979 and the call that we received that rainy night?
It came back!

My cousin returned from work and dinner. She had retired to her room for the evening and was working on some editing when the phone rang.
There was a sound of static and then the voice repeating "hello, hello, hello! ..." over and over. It was that same intergender voice. The repeated "hellos" were followed by maniacal laughter.
She hung up and called the desk.

It was the late 1980s and this was an old hotel. The calls were still being handled by a switch board operator. There had been NO CALLS to her room that night. None that had passed through the switch board at least.

She was very unsettled and went down to the hotel bar and had a drink.

Once again, she went to her room. This time she called me. I was living in New York City. I tried to calm her down and suggested that she change rooms, which she was able to do the next day.

But not before It called again at 3AM! The same call the same creepy "Hellos" interspersed with crazed laughter.

She complained to the desk, and sensed that they thought she was a little crazy. Not a good feeling.

The next night it happened again.

I suggested that she move to another hotel. And she did. This time choosing a chain hotel, with no haunted history.

You guessed it, it happened again.
This is beyond creepy! Glad we have no landline and I turn off my cell phone at night!

Old 07-10-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What author is this? I'd really like to read it! Fascinating story!
These were the ''Haunted Ohio'' series by Chris Woodyard.

Her books are sold on Amazon.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 AM

291 posts, read 241,882 times
I don't know whether it is that phenomenon, but I'll post it anyway.
A few years ago I was going to make a trip to another city a thousand miles away from home. Nobody knew the exact date of it except the people with whom we were going there and our family members.
The night before we were going to leave my mother received an SMS saying "Hi mom I need help, I'll explain everything when I'm back"
We decided these were just regular thives trying to get money out of people, but the strangest thing was - nobody knew the date of me leaving, and if they sent this SMS just 24 hours later my mom could get stroke out of fear.
2 years ago we decided to repeat the trip. While I was on the train hardly trying to sleep I got a call from my mother. It was 5 am or around, and she said she got a strange call from me on her house phone so she wonders if everything is okay. I said I didn't call and it's still a mystery, cause we rarely get any calls at night, if we get them ever at all.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:37 PM

In the late nineties I worked a job where I was on call a few times a month. At this time we did not carry cell phones, but digital pagers.

In case you're not familiar, they worked by the caller calling your pager, waiting for the beep tone, then they would punch in the numbers that they wanted you to call them back on.

This number would then appear in your pager's display window when your pager went off.

My pager number was 1918. One night, at 3am, my pager went off. The display said, ''1918'', as if someone was paging me to call myself.

This made no sense. Why would a caller punch in my numbers to call myself? No one would be punching them in in error anyway at 3 am because no one worked those hours in our agency.

A few days later after checking at work through the pager service it was confirmed that the call came in from a Florida area code and left the numbers ''1918''.

A few days after this I learned that my favorite aunt, who lived in Florida, and who was born in 1918, had died the night my pager went off.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:23 PM

5,258 posts, read 7,998,958 times
I don't know if this counts & hopefully someone here can shed light on my issue, but starting about 2-3 mos ago I think & then it lasted for a few days, then stopped for about a month, then again 2 couple more times, I got a call from what shows as an 8-digit # on my caller ID. I've tried a reverse # look-up & even called my (landline) phone company & he had never heard about an 8-dig # before.

I'd have my answering machine on, which means whoever it is (male I thnk) has to listen to my voice recording, then when it was time for him to speak, he'd never say anything, just breathing I guess for several seconds then hang up.

When I had called my phone co that 1x when it happened for the 2nd series of times, he said to dial *7 something to block callers. Every since then, it's stopped.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:49 PM

2,871 posts, read 3,165,302 times
From a technology point of view, we have to remember that telephone and computer equipment is often programmed to ring a number and sometimes even waits for someone to speak after it is answered, before it does its thing.

For example, I know that modems will ring a number and wait for an answering whistle from another modem. If it does not get this answering whistle, it will hang up after a little while. This may account for phone calls without anyone seemingly there. (Of course it does not account for someone speaking or heavy breathing, which is human)

This may happen in the night because other countries or other areas of your country have different times and are in other time zones. For example, I am 12 hours difference from NewYork time. You only need one or two digits to be wrong at the start of a full dialling code for the country to be not yours at all and humans have entered the initial number for these computers to dial.

Fax machines or computers sending faxes also wait for a whistle to indicate that it is another fax machine on the other end. Imagine how many people use computers/modems, send faxes, etc so the chhances of a mis-dial are fairly high.

Now, I am not saying these things dont happen paranormally, I am just pointing out that we need to look for normal real-world explanations first before jumping to a paranormal explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal