U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:20 AM

9,601 posts, read 17,182,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy612 View Post
i dont know if the sleep paralysis is related to the dreaming aspect. i try to move when im in that state and i just cant.
I can't either. I will lay there and try to will myself to wake up and it's just really difficult and takes awhile. I've had it happen enough times that I'm no longer afraid, but it is still unpleasant. Still, that's probably the closest thing I've ever had to a nightmare b/c I'm just not prone to those. I have had a few lucid dreams in my life though and those are great. Also, it seems that I dream of houses quite regularly and someone said that houses in dreams represent the state of your soul and I remember once I was seriously getting off track in my real life and then I had a dream that I was in a house that was so rotten my feet were going thru the floor boards, so maybe that's right. I don't have much faith in dream dictionaries though b/c I think a lot of that stuff is personal interpretation. Like a cat is going to mean two different things to 2 people if one likes them and the other hates them. I think it's better to explore in your own mind what you think the dream means and you'll probably be closer to right. Good luck on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:51 AM

1,841 posts, read 2,513,242 times
Hi, sorry I can't be more helpful here. I don't think your are haunted. I don't think it's evil to develop more psychic ability as you get older. As far as dreams that are unpleasant, or anything that happens vision wise that is , I would just pray about it. I'm glad the wolves are there to protect you. Since you are as if one of them and you can lucid dream, I'd try to travel with the pack if I were you. But if you pray before you go to bed, I'd bet you get a lot more peaceful dreams.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:03 AM

1,841 posts, read 2,513,242 times
[/quote]
if a house is haunted, or there is a strong presence of a spirit in a house, can it cause people in the house to have bad dreams and sleep paralysis?

my family members are urging me to have the house blessed and cleansed with sage and incense ,,im going to have to do that.[/quote]
1 yes, I would think so.

2I was thinking this as I started reading through.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:42 PM

803 posts, read 1,626,038 times
lastwomanstanding,

thanks! ..and wow! i never thought to travel with my wolf totem before i dream.

they usually appear whenever i am scared, lost, in the dark or if im fighting something or someone.but it makes sense to say a little prayer to my totem wolf before going to bed and when i do dream, constantly focus on getting to the wolves or being near them when i do dream..

im definitly going to cleanse my house. i shouldve did that when i bought it but i was just wayyy to busy. im going to try boiling sage instead of the smudge sticks. i will light incense up to.

i fight with my husband alot and my mom told me that fighting attracts bad energy. she told me to put angel statues up and paintings of angels. i m going to do that.

thanks!!

Old 07-06-2013, 02:00 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,706,496 times
If it were me, I'd look for a referral to a sleep clinic. Not saying there isn't something paranormal going on, but a lot of the experiences you describe can be explained by sleep paralysis:

What is Sleep Paralysis

The first step for me would be getting it checked out to see if there are non-paranormal explanations for your experiences.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:51 PM

803 posts, read 1,626,038 times
thanks, Vasily

i also dream of houses stepka. i once had a dream that i was in a house that had black floors and black furniture and was mostly painted like a light blue. and there was one room in the house that was red. in my dream there was a paper that had an address written on it.

i woke up and searched that address, and there was nothing.

however, on realtor.com, the closest address they had to the address i typed in was 1 number off but the avenue was correct, and inside that house had black floors , black furniture, mostly light bluish and the living room was all in red. it was for sale. that was kinda creepy too ...leading me to belive that i have lived in my city before.. like in a past life pr something.

the address i typed in and saw in my dream doesnt exits, or maybe it did a long time ago. who knows?!

Old 07-11-2013, 01:52 AM

2,981 posts, read 3,227,314 times
No, I dont think you are evil/mad/haunted/etc. Most on here are not medically qualified though.

Ok, well doctors will have a different opinion to people who have had experiences of their own. That means, you are going to get an orthodox diagnosis if you go to an orthodox doctor because they dont believe in spirits, astral, or any of that stuff.

Personally, I dont think sleep paralysis is a physical thing but a mental thing. Let me explain. Some of the spiritual-type books I have read in the past have suggested that sleep paralysis is the moment when your astral is going out or coming into your body. Now some people say that when you are in a certain type of sleep, you cannot move. Personally I dont believe that, since I have never, ever had that and 50+ years of sleep is a lot of experience. I often wake up and jump straight out of bed - sometimes before I realise that I am up and awake, so if I was going to get sleep paralysis I think I would have by now.

So.. if it is your astral coming or going which seems likely from your reported experiences, I think that you just need to stay still and not panic and you will find that you are 'out' of your body. If coming back in, relax and concentrate on your physical and you should be back OK in no time. Try wiggling a finger which will hasten the alignment of astral + physical. If I come back too fast, I get headaches or a "thich head" as I call it when I wake up. This usually goes off as the two become aligned after a while although you may have to take a nap to get them aligned again and the headache to go.

I dont think that there is usually anyone actually pressing down as they say in that article linked above, but I think it may well be some of the sensations which go with the separation of the physical and the astral. People say they hear popping, crackles, humming, all kinds of weird noises as it starts to happen. I have said this before on here, but I often used to feel I was being chased and then I woke up with my heart thumping with the feeling that they 'nearly caught me'. Now I know that the 'chased' feeling is me coming back and my physical brain becoming aware I am returning NOT being chased by something. Now, I never have those chased feelings since I know what is happening and my conscious physical brain accepts what is happening too.

Of course, these are opinions so only accept them if you feel they make sense.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:00 AM

9,601 posts, read 17,182,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Personally, I dont think sleep paralysis is a physical thing but a mental thing. Let me explain. Some of the spiritual-type books I have read in the past have suggested that sleep paralysis is the moment when your astral is going out or coming into your body. Now some people say that when you are in a certain type of sleep, you cannot move. Personally I dont believe that, since I have never, ever had that and 50+ years of sleep is a lot of experience. I often wake up and jump straight out of bed - sometimes before I realise that I am up and awake, so if I was going to get sleep paralysis I think I would have by now.

So.. if it is your astral coming or going which seems likely from your reported experiences, I think that you just need to stay still and not panic and you will find that you are 'out' of your body. If coming back in, relax and concentrate on your physical and you should be back OK in no time. Try wiggling a finger which will hasten the alignment of astral + physical. If I come back too fast, I get headaches or a "thich head" as I call it when I wake up. This usually goes off as the two become aligned after a while although you may have to take a nap to get them aligned again and the headache to go.

I dont think that there is usually anyone actually pressing down as they say in that article linked above, but I think it may well be some of the sensations which go with the separation of the physical and the astral. People say they hear popping, crackles, humming, all kinds of weird noises as it starts to happen.

Of course, these are opinions so only accept them if you feel they make sense.
I'm going with that theory that it's a certain type of sleep but not everyone feels this sensation, and believe me you would know it if you did. So, a certain type of sleep in a certain type of person. The accompanying dream is not scary in itself but the paralysis is extremely unpleasant. I don't buy the theory about astral projection either, though I did at one time so I tried working with it and relaxing into it to see if I could get it to go, and though I have sometimes had the sensation that I had gone out of my body I'm not really sure if it was that or a lucid dream. Interestingly though, I have experimented a bit with a supplement called galantamine, and it will cause both lucid dreams and sleep paralysis so maybe the two are more related than it would seem to me. When I go into paralysis though, I am lucid at that point and perfectly aware of what's going on and hear the wind rushing in my ears, but I can't seem to quite change the thing into a lucid dream--the only thing I can do is will myself to wake up and then switch sleep positions. But, here's the caveat: I just don't think these things have anything to do with spiritual experiences--at least not in my life. I'm not averse to believing in these things and did at one time as I've mentioned, but thru my own experiences I've just come to believe that the wiring in your brain has more to do with sleep issues.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:56 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,706,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Now some people say that when you are in a certain type of sleep, you cannot move. Personally I dont believe that, since I have never, ever had that and 50+ years of sleep is a lot of experience. I often wake up and jump straight out of bed - sometimes before I realise that I am up and awake, so if I was going to get sleep paralysis I think I would have by now.
Everyone experiences a form of sleep paralysis when dreaming; this keeps you from acting out your dreams, which keeps you and those you're with safe during your dream state. Those who experience sleep paralysis on waking have a sleep disorder ... it's not supposed to work that way, and people who do so are in a minority. You happen not to be one of them. Sleep paralysis has been linked to narcolepsy, anxiety disorders, and sleep apnea but it sometimes occurs without these disorders co-occurring. I use an activity-recording device which also tracks my movements during sleep (Fitbit One), and the periods when I'm asleep are clearly visible ... they're the periods on the graph when I'm not moving around.

They have, by the way, identified the mechanism for muscle paralysis during dreaming sleep:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/252825.php

It's not just that "some people say" these things, there's research that's been done in a lot of sleep labs around the world that confirms the reality of this muscle paralysis.

Last edited by Vasily; 07-13-2013 at 04:05 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 04:59 AM

19,390 posts, read 17,495,338 times
I was listening to Coast To Coast AM and they did a ( I thought it was funny) commercial spot for a web site that researches to see if someone died in a house. Check to see if that house you're interested in buying has had somebody die from a heart attack or illness or worse( murder, suicide). Is it a charming home or a portal to someplace else?
I can't remember the website but go on Coast To Coast's website and they may have a link.
Died In House is the website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal