U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 09:37 AM

9,258 posts, read 15,208,377 times

Advertisements

I have a good story I think. This just happened a couple of days ago: I had been on a month long trip to South America by myself, for which I am most grateful, but flying is hell as I imagine most of you know. I was feeling very lonely due to a whole day spent in airports and seeing all the happy couples and self absorbed people and it was getting to me. I was just getting seated on the last flight and started to think how nice it would be if the person seated next to me could be a handsome interesting man who would speak English, as my Spanish isn't so great. The entire plane filled up but for one seat--the one next to me. They were getting ready to close the door and one of the flight attendants said, "Wait, there's one more seat." Yep, you got it--he was a handsome, interesting, man who knew English and he was only too happy to talk to me the entire flight and he was even a little flirty and seemed attracted to me. Then I met his mother and she just loved me and I thought she was great, tho she only knew Portuguese.

Now here's where things get tricky with gratitude and the LOA: right after they left I started to have these negative thoughts like "Oh he's probably a player," or "maybe he's just looking for a wife in the states so he can immigrate," and so on. Not to mention that he lives in Brazil and we couldn't date anyway. Fortunately I caught myself and put a stop to those thoughts, because it occurred to me that the universe had delivered up exactly what I'd asked for. All I wanted was someone to entertain me for a couple of hours and lift me out of my funk and that is exactly what happened. I actually got a little more than I asked for because he made me feel attractive on a day when I was feeling very unsexy (I dress for comfort, not fashion, when I fly). So there you have it--the most perfect scenario for a LOA in action and I finally learned how to ask. I essentially put in my order and got exactly what I'd asked for and now I have a better idea of how to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 08:05 PM

1,123 posts, read 633,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I have a good story I think. This just happened a couple of days ago: I had been on a month long trip to South America by myself, for which I am most grateful, but flying is hell as I imagine most of you know. I was feeling very lonely due to a whole day spent in airports and seeing all the happy couples and self absorbed people and it was getting to me. I was just getting seated on the last flight and started to think how nice it would be if the person seated next to me could be a handsome interesting man who would speak English, as my Spanish isn't so great. The entire plane filled up but for one seat--the one next to me. They were getting ready to close the door and one of the flight attendants said, "Wait, there's one more seat." Yep, you got it--he was a handsome, interesting, man who knew English and he was only too happy to talk to me the entire flight and he was even a little flirty and seemed attracted to me. Then I met his mother and she just loved me and I thought she was great, tho she only knew Portuguese.

Now here's where things get tricky with gratitude and the LOA: right after they left I started to have these negative thoughts like "Oh he's probably a player," or "maybe he's just looking for a wife in the states so he can immigrate," and so on. Not to mention that he lives in Brazil and we couldn't date anyway. Fortunately I caught myself and put a stop to those thoughts, because it occurred to me that the universe had delivered up exactly what I'd asked for. All I wanted was someone to entertain me for a couple of hours and lift me out of my funk and that is exactly what happened. I actually got a little more than I asked for because he made me feel attractive on a day when I was feeling very unsexy (I dress for comfort, not fashion, when I fly). So there you have it--the most perfect scenario for a LOA in action and I finally learned how to ask. I essentially put in my order and got exactly what I'd asked for and now I have a better idea of how to do it.
That is so cool! I love that!!

And, lucky you!

Old 10-09-2017, 11:43 AM

6,375 posts, read 3,469,239 times
LOA:

First I am grateful for Tallysmom for making a place in which I can share. However, even though I'm sure there are more than three that would fall into the LOA category, at the present I can only think of two, to share and express my gratitude

In 1992 living in a small town Texas and going to college, my desire to work as a journalist (since 1979 high school) peaked. I talked to residents of the small town about the possibility of working for the local paper. They quickly shot down that idea, saying, 'he never hires anyone'. However, every time I drove by the newspaper offices I would get this urge to go in and fill out an application. I squashed that urge by thinking of what people had said to me that chances of getting hired, since I didn't have any journalist experience, would leave me to a waste of my time.

But the urge kept getting stronger and stronger, each and every time I drove by the place.

So one day I sat down and wrote out my resume, including on the resume, college classes toward credits in journalism. I drove to the offices, walked in and there was a man sitting behind the counter desk, and he was going through the cabinets searching for something. I asked if he was hiring and he said, no, not at this time. I said, okay then, but may leave you my resume, just in case at any time in the future, something comes available.

With in a few weeks, he phoned me in for an interview and I was hired for a small position (stringer) at the small town newspaper, by a person who was known, not to ever hire anyone. I am grateful for having the opportunity for an exciting experience that will never be forgotten.

In 1998 working in a suburb of Dallas a good drive distance from the suburb I lived in, I was the receptionist. Part of my duties as receptionist was to file the faxed documents that came in. One came if from the City of Commerce and on that one I read where several businesses would be expanding. One business a (well known) snack food distribution company caught my eye and my intuition, but more my eye as they would be opening a DC in the same suburb where I lived.

Years went by from that day, but I never forgot what I had read (or that feeling) and I kept looking for construction or something to tell me they were in the area. Subsequently many years passed and I moved from suburb of Dallas to a small town Texas ... On an electronic job board, popped the snack food company hiring, click to fill out application, so I did and was hired and worked for them for 7.5 years.

To summarize my gratitude:

1. Tallysmom for allowing me a place to share.
2. To be allowed to work as a staff writer for a small town publication.
3. To be allowed to work, beyond an office environment (dreams do come true).

ty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal