U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 08:43 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,577,790 times

Advertisements

I will admit that, although I saw the previews on TV, I am entirely toooooooooooo terrified to see it! I may well believe in spirits - I may well believe that our loved ones are around for us -- I may, or may not believe, that there are other not so friendly entities around as well -- a good mystery for sure I will watch -- something like this, I will not sleep for days.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:52 PM

5,794 posts, read 4,510,220 times
The Conjuring pays homage to a number of classic horror films, recent and older. I particularly like the 1971 setting ... the year I went back to finish college. However, it's really well done, and its references to horror motifs sometime made me smile. As I watched it, I thought of films old and new like The Exorcist, The Haunting (1963 version), The Orphanage, Sinister, Mama, The Last Exorcism, The Lady in Black, many others. I'm glad horror films have gotten away from the Saw/Hostel bloody slasher approach and back to old fashioned ghost stories. It also plays into the ghost hunter motif, but younger viewers might be surprised seeing how technology has changed over the past 40+ years.

Is it scary? It hits a lot of different buttons, but we've seen much of this before. Quality wise, I'd put it up near the Exorcist realm ... I thought it was that good. I didn't find it particularly scary (though it has its jump out of your skin moments) but it was an excellent ghost story, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and would see it again.

But don't blame me if you go see it and can't sleep at night ... I had to sleep with a light on when I saw the Exorcist way back in 1973 and I could see this having that sort of effect on some people (if you think you won't be able to sleep after seeing it, that might be an indication that you shouldn't see it ... certainly not at night). But at this point in time, I feel rather jaded horror-wise. It takes a lot to surprise me.

Last edited by Vasily; 07-21-2013 at 09:00 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 AM

754 posts, read 884,471 times
two scariest movies ive ever seen..... entity and exorcist.

the entity in particular really scared me. the end when they freeze the giant mass or whatever it is. the thought of that whole thing is scary.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:44 PM

20,826 posts, read 26,131,683 times
I saw it this afternoon. It's a quality movie of the horror genre that does use many conventions on the 1970s possession and haunted house movies.

It was well crafted and artfully made. Since I would have been about 10 at the time that this happened, I thought that the costumes and staging were spot on.

That said, it was not terrifyingly scary. It really takes a lot to frighten me. Yes it was atmospheric, creepy, and there was verisimilitude to spare.

I hope that more films like this are made and less "slasher" movies.

It's worth seeing if you are interested in the paranormal.

I did pray and surround myself with the Light of God before and after I watched it. I'd recommend that you do too.
It's not impossible that someone could have a spiritual attachment after seeing this.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:02 PM

754 posts, read 884,471 times
I heard that famous doll the warrens have in their museum was in the movie and was taken from that original house?? True??

Old 07-22-2013, 07:47 PM

500 posts, read 1,052,916 times
I love paranormal/psychological thriller movies, and not much rattles me, but the previews I've seen on this movie have made me think that it would be too disturbing to me, for some reason.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:08 PM

20,826 posts, read 26,131,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
I heard that famous doll the warrens have in their museum was in the movie and was taken from that original house?? True??

I've never heard that. "Annabelle" was not the horror doll depicted in the movie though. It is a regular Raggedy Ann Doll.

I believe that it's still in their museum in Monroe.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 PM

793 posts, read 252,543 times
I definitely look forward to seeing this movie!!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:22 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,645,598 times
Really scared the crap out of me! I'd recommend it to anyone who likes horror movies. And wants to be scared. Big time.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 PM

5,794 posts, read 4,510,220 times
Ed Warren passed away in 2006, Lorraine is still around. I read a review that said she still doesn't like to go into their museum (neither would I). She was a guest sometimes on the late (for me, unlamented) show Paranormal State.

She supposedly had a cameo in The Conjuring ... Anyone notice her (I didn't)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal