U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:02 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,114,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm kind of disappointed to hear that. Maybe I just got burned on Chucky, but I just don't find dolls all that scary. Creepy? Yes. All dolls are creepy. But truly scary? No.

I doubt we'll see any Amityville. There was a brief mention of it at the end of The Conjuring, but the whole Amityville Horror "haunting" has been pretty well exposed as a fraud.
Yeah, Ronnie Defeo's lawyer admitted that he cooked the story up with the Lutzs, and then turned on them and exposed them because they abandoned him and went to Jay Anson to write the story.

And the Warrens were part of that fraud.

The guy who wrote A HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT also talked about how he had trouble writing the book because the individual members of the family were all telling different and more fantastical stories, and Ed Warren told him: "Who cares. These people are crazy anyway. Just make it up and make it scary."

I have a certain odd fondness for the Warrens because I kind of admire con artists, and because people want to believe this kind of stuff and all they ever really did was help people deceive themselves. But at the end of the day, they are really not good people in any sense of the word.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 06:26 AM

19,428 posts, read 23,092,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
And the Warrens were part of that fraud.

The guy who wrote A HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT also talked about how he had trouble writing the book because the individual members of the family were all telling different and more fantastical stories, and Ed Warren told him: "Who cares. These people are crazy anyway. Just make it up and make it scary."
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I have a certain odd fondness for the Warrens because I kind of admire con artists, and because people want to believe this kind of stuff and all they ever really did was help people deceive themselves. But at the end of the day, they are really not good people in any sense of the word.
I've never made an in depth study of them, but from what little I've learned I can't quite make up my mind if they generally believed any of their own hoo-ha, or if the whole thing was snake oil. But they were definitely all about the money.

In the case of THE CONJURING, the reality of their involvement is not AT ALL like you see in the movie. The family never asked for the Warrens to help. The Warrens just showed up. And the father of the family did not appreciate their shenanigans. In fact, according to one of the daughters, her dad actually decked Ed Warren and physically threw them out of the house.

The daughter has since written several books, and even though she seems mildly sympathetic to the Warrens, even she admits that Elaine came to her and said, "Let us tell your story, and you'll never have to worry about money again."

Whether the Warrens genuinely believed in what they preached ... ? I don't know. But in the end, it was all about the money for them, and for that reason alone, I'm extremely skeptical about anything and everything they said.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:15 AM

5,925 posts, read 4,584,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
There's two more coming out. They are doing a prequel with the Annabelle doll. That will be released first. Then the second movie is the warrens I believe in London? Some over seas case? It won't be amityville unfortunately
Then comes the Nickelodeon series with Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby ...

Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 AM

19,428 posts, read 23,092,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Then comes the Nickelodeon series with Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby ...
As I was watching THE CONJURING, it occurred to me how cool it would be if the Warrens' teenage helpers pulled up into the farmhouse in their purple and green van with a big brown Great Dane.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:25 AM

754 posts, read 888,351 times
I am a warrens fan..... Personally always thought scooby doo was for the simple minded but I guess we all have different opinions don't we

Old 02-22-2014, 02:40 PM

5,925 posts, read 4,584,981 times
Actually, I believe the target audiences for Scooby Doo are eight year old kids and stoned teenagers.

We can substitute "Demonology! The Musical!" for the Scooby Doo movie, if you'd prefer. But only if we can get Trey Parker and Matt Stone to write it. I'm thinking Bill Murray and Betty White for the Warrens.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:42 PM

13,837 posts, read 22,456,198 times
Enough with the jokes, guys -- keep it on topic please....

Old 02-22-2014, 05:27 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,189,989 times
Andrea Perron the eldest daughter, is writing Book 3 of the Trilogy: "House of Darkness House of Light". The entire family, except the mom I think, contributed their memoirs chronicling the events which occurred between 1970-1980.

I haven't read Book 1 or 2 but in interviews Andrea says they are full of much more depth and material than the movie.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:18 PM

7 posts, read 9,168 times
I'm not a huge on the Warrens either but that aside I still really liked this movie. I don't scare easy mainly because my parents let me watch whatever as a kid so I'm pretty desensitized as an adult. This movie made me jump a few times. I found it very entertaining whether this really happened or not. I didn't have trouble going to sleep after or anything but I do like this flick. If I were you I'd give it a watch.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:58 PM

112 posts, read 161,680 times
Movies? Are there any that are quality. The old "horror movies" of the 30s had hardly any blood, nudity, profanity, and though the acting might have been found wanting, I'd put the original "Dracula" The Mummy", "Frankenstein" and "The Wolfman" against about that Hollywood has produced over the last decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal