Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 11:24 AM

22,918 posts, read 28,268,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Chaser View Post
Movies? Are there any that are quality. The old "horror movies" of the 30s had hardly any blood, nudity, profanity, and though the acting might have been found wanting, I'd put the original "Dracula" The Mummy", "Frankenstein" and "The Wolfman" against about that Hollywood has produced over the last decade.
I dunno. I watched the old Wolfman again around Halloween. It's so quaint as to be almost silly. Not the least bit scary. It's got a very "aw, shucks" tone to it that was typical of Hollywood at the time.

And the hero is a peeping Tom! Talk about a dated movie. He goes to the pretty girl in town and says, "Hey, I've been watching your through my telescope. How about we go to dinner?" And she does!!! She isn't the least bit creeped out by the new stalker in town.

I saw The Mummy as a kid. I think I was 10 or 11. It bored me then.

Bride of Frankenstein is a truly great movie though.

So Mixum, what sold you on the Warrens? I'm not being snarky. I'm genuinely curious. What convinced you of their veracity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 05:49 AM

Sequel to The Conjuring next year. It is NOT the doll movie, which is a spin-off, not a sequel.

"Conjuring" Sequel Set For October 2015 | News | Dark Horizons

Old 02-26-2014, 08:17 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Sequel to The Conjuring next year. It is NOT the doll movie, which is a spin-off, not a sequel.

"Conjuring" Sequel Set For October 2015 | News | Dark Horizons

Kool. Thanks for update!!

Old 03-02-2014, 11:51 AM

417 posts, read 816,368 times
I liked The Conjuring. Like others here have said, the beginning is great, but it is a bit of a letdown towards the end when you see some of the things that were hidden or alluded to earlier in the movie.

But that's the case with so many horror movies. Nothing is scarier than what is in our imagination. "Sinister" was the same way. Super-creepy til you see some of the "stuff" (won't go into details in case you haven't seen it...it is also a decent movie of the horror genre).

Old 04-01-2014, 05:50 AM

And in come the lawyers:

"Conjuring" Franchise On Hold Due To Lawsuit? | News | Dark Horizons

Old 04-08-2014, 06:07 PM

777 posts, read 881,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I dunno. I watched the old Wolfman again around Halloween. It's so quaint as to be almost silly. Not the least bit scary. It's got a very "aw, shucks" tone to it that was typical of Hollywood at the time.

And the hero is a peeping Tom! Talk about a dated movie. He goes to the pretty girl in town and says, "Hey, I've been watching your through my telescope. How about we go to dinner?" And she does!!! She isn't the least bit creeped out by the new stalker in town.

I saw The Mummy as a kid. I think I was 10 or 11. It bored me then.

Bride of Frankenstein is a truly great movie though.

So Mixum, what sold you on the Warrens? I'm not being snarky. I'm genuinely curious. What convinced you of their veracity?
Print quality of black and white films during Hollywood's
Golden Age cannot really be reproduced with today's
technology despite advances. If you can find an original
nitrate print in good condition of movies like The Wolfman
and The Mummy, the atmosphere it creates on a large
screen can be scary by itself. The filmmakers during that
time knew this and gradually built up the horror. They
were not making these movies for TV back then.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:59 AM

Well, it looks like the prequel is finally getting a release: THE CONJURING Spinoff ANNABELLE Gets a Release Date! - Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

Bad news: None of the original cast and few of the original crew are returning for this movie. So don't hold your breath that it's going to be anything but an inferior money-grab sequel.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:27 AM

898 posts, read 937,676 times
I couldn't conjure up the courage to see it.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:23 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
A new release - yesterday- that chronicles a haunting in Rhode Island that took place in the early 1970s.

Ed and Lorraine Warren were the investigators.

It sounds good to me.

Anyone see it, or have plans to see it?

Movies are nothing more than fiction.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:09 PM

First trailer to the kinda/sorta prequel is out.

Creepy Dolls and Satanic Cults! Full ANNABELLE Trailer is Here! - Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal