Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city do you think is the most haunted?
New York City 5 7.69%
Los Angeles 2 3.08%
Chicago 0 0%
Philadelphia 0 0%
Houston 0 0%
Savannah, GA 9 13.85%
San Antonio 0 0%
New Orleans 23 35.38%
Boston 4 6.15%
Washington DC 0 0%
Baltimore 1 1.54%
San Francisco 0 0%
Portland, OR 0 0%
Gettysburg, PA 11 16.92%
Charlestown, SC 4 6.15%
Other (Please Specify) 6 9.23%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:32 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times

Advertisements

I would say New Orleans and the first time I visited years ago was weird as I knew where things were without looking on a map or asking...hmmmm..maybe in a former life I lived there..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 09:58 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,011 times
I would say Gettysburg, Savannah and New Orleans are my top 3 picks out of the list above. I don't have an opinion as to which of those 3 are the MOST haunted.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 PM

1,268 posts, read 798,178 times
Might want to add St. Augustine, FL. It is the oldest city in the US, and it has an authentic Spanish fort and town. It is beautiful, but there is most certainly a ton of violent history. Many wars and battles were fought in the effort to control Florida and the coast.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:46 AM

533 posts, read 1,112,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
Might want to add St. Augustine, FL. It is the oldest city in the US, and it has an authentic Spanish fort and town. It is beautiful, but there is most certainly a ton of violent history. Many wars and battles were fought in the effort to control Florida and the coast.
Definitely St. Aug and I honestly think the South is more haunted than most of New England because of the history of slavery/Civil War and also the Native Americans and the Alamo...

It would be hard to narrow down which city is the most haunted, but I think the South would take the cake for the geographical region that's the most haunted.

When I say South, I include:
  • West Virginia
  • Kentucky
  • Tennessee
  • Missouri
  • Arkansas
  • Oklahoma
  • Texas
  • Louisiana
  • Mississippi
  • Alabama
  • Georgia
  • Virginia
  • North Carolina
  • South Carolina
  • Florida
Like I said, I think the history of the Civil War (especially in border states like Missouri, Tennessee, and Kentucky because it was family vs family, neighbor vs neighbor, etc.) plays a huge part. And the poverty of the area, I can't recall a single time when the South has been wealthy, I think the poverty ingrains itself into a lot of people and causes unhappiness. Not to mention that the Trail of Tears starts in the Southeast...

Old 12-12-2013, 10:47 PM

112 posts, read 177,370 times
New Orleans is quaint, spooky, hints of voodoo, but I'll put those 3 days in July, 1863, against any in the US and what was left behind, some of which are not quietly resting.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
New Orleans definitely has a huge lead in the poll results. However, I did thought Boston and Philadelphia would get more votes on a topic like this.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:29 PM

112 posts, read 177,370 times
Take the 1 or 2 Marie Leveau's, depends on who one asks,the well acknowledged "Queen of Vodoun"(voodoo) in her own lifetime, not to mention her supposedly return after her demise, to be seen and photographed, and that in itself would make any city not a place to be out after dark. St. Louis Cemeteries, No.1 and No.2, have someone buried there with the same name, as cited earlier and each tomb has its own followers that leave gifts, bottles of rum, and mark the walls of the tombs with "Xs". Maybe, just one that had to appear to be supposedly "dead" for reasons unknown. and then suddenly "came back". Used to go there in the Spring, years ago, and there were places that no one would venture into and violence was not the reason why. It seems that crime has replaced the "supernatural" as what is to be feared. I guess a 357 Mag. in the wrong hands carries more "fear" associated with it than being confronted in a dark alley by someone or "something" that has no business walking among the living. Supernatural, yep, the "Big Easy" has loads to spare, ghosts, never been that impressed with the "ghost tours", back then anyway, but as for ghosts, one doesn't need tours to meet any in Gettysburg, though tours are offered, not very good ones the last time I took a couple. New Orleans has more "old magic" associated with it than any other city in the US, Gettysburg has more verified "paranormal events", since July 4,1863, than any other city in the US. Combined, both can give one the most frightening time of their lives, if they know where to look and aren't worried what they will find.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:34 PM

18 posts, read 27,131 times
I second New England. Old with lots of woods and plain scary stuff everywhere.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:15 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
I picked New Orleans because I liked the Anne Rice novels.

The building my office is in is supposed to be haunted. The problem is that I don't believe in ghosts. Perhaps, never seeing one there even though I've been to my office working late many nights helps convince me the whole thing is made up.

The janitor did knock on my door once at about 1:30 a.m. and that scared the bejeezus out of me though.

Last edited by markg91359; 12-13-2013 at 11:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal