Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 03:50 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times

Advertisements

my grandmother, an athiest at the time, had a near death experience as the result of an allergic reaction to something at the hospital. She met a white figure who told her it was not her time yet, that she had children she needed to raise (my mother, aunt, and uncle) .. she has not been afraid of death since and at the ripe age of 80 has smoked her whole life, smoking mini-cigars right now because in Wisconsin they do not tax mini-cigars so they are really inexpensive.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:32 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
....I don't know how long my heart stopped for, but all I experienced was nothingness. (which I don't think is a word : ) Thanks to those of you who sent me sweet, kind messages.
All that proves is that you were unconscious. I have passed out before. I mean, full on passed out. One moment I was walking towards the restroom in a restaurant, not feeling well, the next thing I knew, I was on the floor, and some Turkish guy was hovering over me with my ID in his hand. I remember nothing. There was nothing. It didn't mean I died. I merely passed out, and was unconscious. It is the strangest feeling in the world, and it takes awhile to get your bearings. For an entire day, I was trying to figure out what the heck happened.

What was even more weird....well, to me anyway....was that when I woke up, people were still sitting at their tables, eating their meals, as if there was not a person lying on the floor, unconscious. Of course, this happened in Germany, and those people don't seem to be phased by anything. The only reason someone was hovering over me with my ID in their hand is because I passed out right next to their table. I think that shook me more than not having a clue what happened, or how long I was out. I still don't know how long I was out. It could not have been too long because the person I was with had no idea that I had passed out. Seriously, do these people not notice anything going on around them?

Anyway, if people want to believe in an afterlife, I'm not sure why others feel the need to come on and scold them about it. People find comfort in their beliefs. It makes them feel better. It makes them feel like there is something out there, and it tends to make people act better. If they get a "visit" from a dead relative, or they see signs, or interpret things as messages from those that have passed on, what harm does it do to those who do not believe in anything? Why do people feel the need to tell those who believe that their ideas of an afterlife are b.s.? What purpose does that serve? Does it make you (general you) feel better? It doesn't do anything for the person who believes. And, their believing does not affect your life in any way, shape, or form...so what is the point?

Now, if you (general you) say, "I do not believe that.......blah, blah, blah", that's one thing. You are sharing what you believe, and that's fine. But when you (general you) come on here and say, "THERE IS NO SUCH THING! HOW STUPID IT IS TO BELIEVE IN ANYTHING AFTER THIS LIFE!", I have to question your motives? Why are you so adamant with telling people that their comfort is stupid? What does it do for you? You are only saying it out of pure selfishness. When you try to tell someone that what they find comfort in is stupid, (even if you tell them they are stupid indirectly), you're being selfish and nothing more. Share what you believe, fine, but to declare that you are the authority on what happens after we die, when you have no proof whatsoever, is ridiculous, and it is only said to hurt others. If you are that comfortable in what you believe, you wouldn't feel the need to try to convince everyone else how right you are. (In before, "but...but....but Christians!!! The same goes for everyone, no matter their beliefs.)

Old 11-29-2013, 06:34 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Anyway, if people want to believe in an afterlife, I'm not sure why others feel the need to come on and scold them about it.
And if people join a discussion on a discussion forum, I'm not sure why others feel the need to misconstrue that as "scolding" them about it. Discussion is useful and interesting. In fact I think it might be the single most useful and important tool our species has.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:59 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
my grandmother, an athiest at the time, had a near death experience as the result of an allergic reaction to something at the hospital. She met a white figure who told her it was not her time yet, that she had children she needed to raise (my mother, aunt, and uncle) .. she has not been afraid of death since and at the ripe age of 80 has smoked her whole life, smoking mini-cigars right now because in Wisconsin they do not tax mini-cigars so they are really inexpensive.
Did she turn to a certain religion after that? Or did she just believe in an afterlife of some sort?

Old 11-29-2013, 07:06 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
I also feel like every one have valid opinions which again goes back to "we just don't know what will happen" when we die. If someone telling me their experience who am I to say they are wrong or right. I have a friend who also was near death once. She told me she saw angels. Not the kind with wings and long blond hair you see in movies but she described them as angels to the best of her knowledge. I thought it was pretty cool.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
And if people join a discussion on a discussion forum, I'm not sure why others feel the need to misconstrue that as "scolding" them about it. Discussion is useful and interesting. In fact I think it might be the single most useful and important tool our species has.
If people are going to respond, they should probably read the entire post and not assume. You just look like a fool when you do that.

Did you READ this part? No, you did not:

Quote:
Now, if you (general you) say, "I do not believe that.......blah, blah, blah", that's one thing. You are sharing what you believe, and that's fine. But when you (general you) come on here and say, "THERE IS NO SUCH THING! HOW STUPID IT IS TO BELIEVE IN ANYTHING AFTER THIS LIFE!", I have to question your motives?
What does it say in the first and second sentence? Hmmm? What DOES that say? Try again.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Did you READ this part? No, you did not:
Your false assumptions about what I have or have not read aside, my point still stands. It was a general point and not specific to you. It seems that on a discussion forum, when people actually do discuss these things, that people are all too willing, and all too quick, to construe such discussion as attacks, scolding, and worse. Where the divide between discussion and attack lies differs from person to person too.

So pocket your feux offence please, my point still stands regardless of what you think I read or not.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I also feel like every one have valid opinions which again goes back to "we just don't know what will happen" when we die.
No we do not "know" but at the same time I would not want to suggest that this builds some kind of equivalence between opinions as if every opinion is equally valid. They are not.

If you look at what knowledge we have of the brain and of human consciousness then currently EVERYTHING we know links them together. NOTHING suggests at this time any separation between the two or the ability of the latter to exist without the former.

So opinions based in some separation between the two are not equally valid, or really all that valid at all, as opinions that are not based in such a separation.

Does that mean 100% that nothing at all happens to human consciousness or subjectivity upon death of the brain? No. But at this time we have literally no reason to expect anything does, and every reason to expect that death results in a complete cessation of the human consciousness and subjectivity involved.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:22 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Quote:
But at this time we have literally no reason to expect anything does, and every reason to expect that death results in a complete cessation of the human consciousness and subjectivity involved.
I feel you would be better to phrase this as "I" (meaning you) have literally no reason to expect anything does", rather than "we".

I for one prefer to believe or expect what "I" want to believe or expect...not what others want me to believe or expect.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Your false assumptions about what I have or have not read aside, my point still stands. It was a general point and not specific to you. It seems that on a discussion forum, when people actually do discuss these things, that people are all too willing, and all too quick, to construe such discussion as attacks, scolding, and worse. Where the divide between discussion and attack lies differs from person to person too.

So pocket your feux offence please, my point still stands regardless of what you think I read or not.
Ok, we'll say that you read the entire thing. Then your reading comprehension skills are lacking. There is a difference, as I stated in my post, between discussing, (in which I gave an example), and attacking, (which I gave an example). Attacking someone and telling them that they are wrong, (which I gave an example in my post), is NOT inviting discussion.

So, let's try this again, and see if you finally comprehend what I said. You're too busy trying to be right, that you don't even have a CLUE that I've already stated discussion is fine.

Example 1: I don't believe in an after life. I don't think there's anything there.

That is called discussion, and sharing ideas.

Example 2: There is no such thing. God does not exist. You and your imaginary friend are ridiculous.

That's called attacking, and not sharing ideas. That's acting like the authority on a subject.

Do you now see the difference? One is stating what the person believes, one is telling everyone else that they are idiots for what they believe. If you STILL do not comprehend the difference, then perhaps you are part of the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal