Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 10:28 PM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times

Advertisements

How to do it and an app to download

They claim they are 'calling in' ET craft to make contact with us humans. There are supposed to be many groups across the country and internationally. Has anyone been to a meeting of these folk? If so, what happened and how would you describe it? Did you see anything?

His take on Cattle Mutilations. (actually he does not explain it at all as far as I can see.) All he does is say that we should not judge other races by our own human emotional standards.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 06:01 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/bull****+artist

bull**** artist and bull****ter
n. a person expert at lies, deception, and hype.

Old 07-13-2022, 06:04 PM

Probably no more that all the To The Stars Academy people like Chris Mellon, Lois Elizondo and the others. Now, how about discussing the work he does rather than dragging him down into the gutter ?

Old 07-14-2022, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Now, how about discussing the work he does rather than dragging him down into the gutter ?
Fair point.

On the one hand: Attack the message, not the messenger.

On the other hand: You do have to consider the source. If you want to understand a neutron star, are you going to consult an astronomer or an astrologer? My point: Greer is a kook. Yes, even a broken clock is right twice a day. But he's still a kook.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Fair point.

On the one hand: Attack the message, not the messenger.

On the other hand: You do have to consider the source. If you want to understand a neutron star, are you going to consult an astronomer or an astrologer? My point: Greer is a kook. Yes, even a broken clock is right twice a day. But he's still a kook.
I believe the mods are suggesting we are supposed to say "I think" or "in my opinion".
We should NOT make statements as if they are fact. So..in this case, "In my opinion, Greer is a kook"

Old 07-15-2022, 09:05 PM

2,451 posts, read 1,680,959 times
Not sure about Mods but "in my opinion" will keep you from being sued.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:06 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
I would encourage the good doctor to read The Three Body Problem. Thankfully even if the aliens can break the speed of light getting here, his messages to them are constrained to c.

Old 07-16-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I believe the mods are suggesting we are supposed to say "I think" or "in my opinion".
We should NOT make statements as if they are fact. So..in this case, "In my opinion, Greer is a kook"
The mods don't encourage bad writing. Everything Person X writes is Person X's opinion. You don't have to preface it.

https://preciseedit.wordpress.com/20...s-bad-writing/

Quote:
As an editor, I like writing that gets to the point, communicates confidently, and provides new information. Phrases such as “in my opinion,” “I think that,” and “I believe” create three problems for writers.

1. They delay the writer’s message.
2. They demonstrate insecurity.
3. They tell the reader what he already knows.

1. Delayed message
The statement the writer wants to make is “flowers are better than elephants.” If that’s the statement, then the writer simply needs to make it and not waste the reader’s time with “in my opinion.” Phrases such as “in my opinion” will always delay the writer from the point he or she wants to make. My advice: Get to the point. Make the statement.

2. Insecurity
Writers use these types of phrases so that they don’t have to make clear, definitive, confident answers. When you express something as only an opinion or personal belief, you can’t be blamed later if you are wrong. After all, the statement was only an opinion, not fact. The reader will be right to wonder if the information is only opinion, in which case it can be ignored, or if it is fact. Strong, confident writing expresses information as the truth. Confident writing is more direct and more persuasive.

3. Unnecessary information
Who is writing the words? The writer is. Unless the writer is quoting or citing the ideas from someone else, whose ideas are they? The writer’s. What this means is that the statement is the writer’s idea, opinion, belief, and thoughts. The reader will understand this. As such, the writer doesn’t need to tell the reader that the ideas are his own.

Old 07-16-2022, 07:52 PM

The mods are human the same as the rest of us.

If you choose to be pedantic and precise in the use of your writing and language then thats (oops I forgot an apostraphe) fine, but dont put that stuff on the rest of us.

I am more about getting the message across and since there are many different types of people out there, there are many ways the message can be conveyed. Personally, being pedantic and precise really turns me off someone who does that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider
I would encourage the good doctor to read The Three Body Problem. Thankfully even if the aliens can break the speed of light getting here, his messages to them are constrained to c.
And I would encourage you to keep up with the more modern ideas which seem to be that space can be 'folded' to allow almost instant travel between two points. The speed of light (c) does not come into it.

Old 07-16-2022, 07:56 PM

2,451 posts, read 1,680,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20;63812408[B
]The mods are human the same as the rest of us.[/b]

If you choose to be pedantic and precise in the use of your writing and language then thats (oops I forgot an apostraphe) fine, but dont put that stuff on the rest of us.

I am more about getting the message across and since there are many different types of people out there, there are many ways the message can be conveyed. Personally, being pedantic and precise really turns me off someone who does that.

And I would encourage you to keep up with the more modern ideas which seem to be that space can be 'folded' to allow almost instant travel between two points. The speed of light (c) does not come into it.
I have not seen anything posted by a Mod on this subject. Where are you getting this from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal