U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:11 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,902,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
My father and I saw 5 flying saucers in broad daylight.. I was a young teenager .. we were headed over to a restaurant to pick up pizza and take home. We were stopped at a draw bridge which was loaded with cars and next to a marina full of people , a large summer crowd.

We were waiting for the bridge to go down and my father was leaning on the steering wheel , back then there were huge windshields in cars,and he was looking up at the sky.. he said.. '' What the hell!" Flying Saucers!! I leaned forward and looked up.. there they were . 5 disc shaped things,, made no noise. did not spin and were matte dark grey looking.We had our windows down.. back then many cars did not have air conditioning... We watched as they disappeared heading east over the ocean.

My father had a hard time dealing with it.. he knew we didn't have the technology to fly something like that.. he was shook up.. me. I was a teenager.. I figured the government was revealing their new flying saucers to us.. i also remember waiting for the sunday paper the next morning and thought surely it would be on the front page.. Government reveals flying saucers.. nothing... how could that be! All those people must have seen what my dad and I saw..some one must have looked up at the sky and saw them too.. it still is a mystery to me.. I often think of that day... and never saw any bird, or plane or balloon that ever resembled those flying saucers. We saw them in the early sixties in daylight..and they traveled very fast with no sound and smooth round and disc like outside .

Yep, people still seeing stuff like this ALL THE TIME!

Spend some time here reading the latest sightings in your state and around the world:

National UFO Reporting Center

I ain't gonna lie...I eagerly await the weekly new postings and it freaks me out!

Some might be hoaxes, but the majority I think not!

I've seen one myself and that is what got me started reading about this stuff...

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 05:00 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,016,856 times
In general I don't put much stock in strange lights in the night sky. Could be anything most of the time. My first sighting, however, was in broad daylight, at around 11:00 in the morning, at 200 yards. 50 ft. silver disk 80 ft. off the ground. Pretty hard to call that a weather balloon or Chinese lantern.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:53 PM

1,981 posts, read 1,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
In general I don't put much stock in strange lights in the night sky. Could be anything most of the time. My first sighting, however, was in broad daylight, at around 11:00 in the morning, at 200 yards. 50 ft. silver disk 80 ft. off the ground. Pretty hard to call that a weather balloon or Chinese lantern.
Could you see windows or anything??? Did you smell anything , like gas or smoke?

Old 09-05-2014, 03:28 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,902,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post

That's for sure. I have read about similar sightings of this type of object on that website too.

I had a different experience and learned also that MANY people have had a similar experience to mine.

I went out on my back porch one night to take a "TV break". At the time I lived out on a farm in a rural area. As I looked out over the field to an adjacent farm property I saw what looked like a "harvest moon" sitting BEHIND the treeline of my neighbors back pasture.

This could not have been more than a football field away from me. The orange, glowing, ball of light was simply acting as a background for the trees. It was so big that it towered over a tree that was about 2 stories high.

I kept looking at it, trying to figure out if my eyes were playing tricks on me. They weren't.

I watched this for about five minutes, then decided to open the screen door and reach into the kitchen counter to retrieve my binoculars, which I kept there for bird watching.

When I did so and turned back around, it was gone.

No sound, nothing. Just not there.

In my mind there is no explanation for that.

After that I took notice of the night sky. This locality was so far out from "city shine" that you could look up and see the Milky Way. It was beautiful!

I never saw this particular phenomena again, but I did have one other experience that creeped me out.

We were in the process of moving out and on the last night we slept there I was awakened by the brightest lights I have ever experienced shining into our back window.

This window faced the woods and there was no way any car lights could have shone into it.

The origin of the light source very obviously came from above the house and shone in at a 45 degree angle, displaying "beams" as it did so.

I thought it was a helicopter or something maybe shining down a spotlight, but there was absolutely NO SOUND while this was going on. None.

I lay in my bed, frozen in a near state of terror. I wanted to look out the window but I felt clearly that we were being watched so I dared not move.

This lasted about 10 minutes and the path of the light beams never waivered.

All of a sudden they just went out, like someone had flicked off a light switch!

Let me tell you that was enough for me. I did not move until the sun came up and when we slept the next night in the burbs I felt a whole lot of relief.

Later I also found that others have had similar experiences.

I mean, who makes this stuff up? Scarey as hell if you think about it.

The part about feeling like "being watched" applied to the orange ball too. I don't know why I felt that way, I just did.

I have noted that some people mention this feeling on the website when they report a sighting.

Now to me, that is the creepiest part of all.

This whole experience does make me think twice about moving that far out into the countryside again.

I think there are many things going on that we just don't know about and are not capable of grasping as reality.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 09-05-2014 at 04:21 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
Could you see windows or anything??? Did you smell anything , like gas or smoke?
No, no engine sound at all, I could hear it splitting the air, and there was a slight compression vapor coming off the leading edge, it was moving pretty fast. It appeared to be made of a highly polished silver metal, no windows or portholes, no lights that I could see, no smells at all. It just flew on by.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post

I went out on my back porch one night to take a "TV break". At the time I lived out on a farm in a rural area. As I looked out over the field to an adjacent farm property I saw what looked like a "harvest moon" sitting BEHIND the treeline of my neighbors back pasture.

This could not have been more than a football field away from me. The orange, glowing, ball of light was simply acting as a background for the trees. It was so big that it towered over a tree that was about 2 stories high.
Interesting! While living in Alabama in 2010 I and two others saw a large orange orb descend down out of an overvcast, hang there for a few seconds, and then go back up into the clouds. Not something you see every day.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:25 PM

11,142 posts, read 9,010,542 times
In 1967, on a cold, crystal clear, moonlit night I had a similar experience. A couple of friends & I were in a rural area, miles from the nearest small town, and about 1.5 miles from the nearest dwelling.

Suddenly a bright light appeared in an adjacent cleared field, about 100 yards away. It wasn't as big as you described, and it was bright white. Our first thought was that someone inexplicably was in the field and shining a light (we thought "deer-killer" light, only much larger) at us. Looked to be about 8-12 feet off the ground, and maybe 24 inches in diameter. The light wasn't ghostly or fuzzy at all, it was a perfect circle or sphere with distinct edges. It remained quite still, seemingly pointed at us. We too had that "being watched" feeling.
Oddly the light didn't seem to affect our vision. Don't know for sure how long it lasted, maybe a couple of minutes.
Then as suddenly as it appeared, it went off, just like someone had flipped a switch. The moon was bright and we could tell immediately that there was nothing there. We weren't frightened, just puzzled. After searching the field and nearby areas and finding nothing, we realized there was no logical explanation. If there had been a human agent involved, there was no place they could have hidden.

We got back into the car and headed down the rural dirt road. After a mile or so, the area became wooded and hilly. I detected a large red-orange glow to our right, the source obscured by a hill. We thought "fire". I rolled down the window and two things became apparent: 1) there was no flickering or smell of smoke and 2) we could see the leading and trailing edges of the glow and it seemed to be keeping pace with our car.
This did frighten us. Terrified us, actually. The driver floored the accelerator. We weren't sure when the glow ceased to be visible because I and the other passenger closed our eyes and hit the floorboard, and the driver was concentrating on the road. After a few minutes, we reached a cluster of farms in a flat area, and it was gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post

The part about feeling like "being watched" applied to the orange ball too. I don't know why I felt that way, I just did.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:02 AM

4,180 posts, read 3,072,950 times
I live in the bay area of Cali and have seen UFOs, but do not believe they are extraterrestrial.

There are air force bases, and obviously, the West coast is an important corridor to defend. I think a lot of the time people are seeing classified aircraft.

As for what is in the picture, once, when I was very young, my family saw something like that in the distance. We were sure is was some kind of UFO and chased it around. We would probably be convinced that it was except that hours after giving up, it flew over our house close enough that we could see what it was...

...it was an old school propeller plane with some kind of flashing Christmas lights on the bottom to form an advertisement. In the distance, the flashing lights made it look exotic, and because of projection and the lack of perspective, we imagined it to be much higher up and faster moving.

If anyone thinks that they have seen a genuine extraterrestrial UFO, then no disrespect to you. For my part, I think it is all military aircraft and misidentification.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:00 AM

17,658 posts, read 8,042,999 times
Can someone explain this?

Recently, we visited our daughter. She lives in an apartment that is in the flight path of a small airport that only handles corporate and private planes. This airport is one town away from her but far enough away that one shouldn't be seeing any airport-related lights.

As we left her apartment, we happened to look directly up at the sky. There were 4 orb shaped white lights that were equidistant from each other. They moved around as if going in circles, then came together to make one light. Then the pattern was repeated.

Could these have been airport-related lights? I live near a major airport and in all the years we've lived here, we've never seen such lights.

I wondered if perhaps, a local business was doing it to attract customers. Generally, though, businesses that do this tend to do it where there is one searchlight moving back and forth. She doesn't live near any large businesses that would even have the room to create a light display.

Anyone have any ideas as to what these lights were?

Old 09-16-2014, 02:37 PM

5,794 posts, read 4,510,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

I wondered if perhaps, a local business was doing it to attract customers. Generally, though, businesses that do this tend to do it where there is one searchlight moving back and forth. She doesn't live near any large businesses that would even have the room to create a light display.

Anyone have any ideas as to what these lights were?
Sounds like searchlights. I've seen a multi-searchlight coordinated display a number of times around here, and in western IL, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal