Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe Aliens exist and are visiting the planet
Yes I believe 10 37.04%
No I don't believe and the rest of you are crazy 1 3.70%
I believe they exist somewhere in galaxy but not here on Earth 9 33.33%
Yep, They walk among us 3 11.11%
I like pie 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 07:17 PM

63 posts, read 56,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
What makes an oceanography prof and his lawyer cousin experts on extraterrstrial life, and why does their being respected in their professions make their claims more credible than those of any random poster on this forum?
I only found him credible because I read Coopers book. Yes I realize that its an argument from the position of authority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup.

I listened the first interview. The whole time I was wondering: So why is his cousin the General suddenly spilling all of these Top Secrets? Pretty sure there'd be some repercussions for that.

I try to keep an open mind, but of the options here, there seem to be 3 likely conclusions:

1.) The guy is making it all up for attention.

2.) It's a misinformation campaign designed to hide other secrets.

3.) It's true.

The first seems most likely, the second next most likely, the third possible, but until I see evidence, I'm not convinced.
I suggest you watch the second video I posted in this thread. While it is not definitive proof of aliens I think its pretty good evidence the government is lying to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 05:52 AM

652 posts, read 870,624 times
I have seen UFO's since I was a child. To this day I have no idea what their purpose is in the world. As a child I met the reptilian Diana and believed one day she would rule the earth as the Supreme Commander aboard her mothership. Time travel, teleporting and portals are very real. It's the physical body that limits the human mind from realizing the potential of thought alone. Many people lose the edge when it comes to science fiction. The concept of eugenics makes UFO's and aliens seem like they were a genetically engineered species by an invisible hand who does not want to admit how or why.

The concept of jump rooms and time travel is not congruent with Atlantis and those from the lost Greek mythology era. The concept of worlds within worlds and those wanting to be in their own world totally separate from the other realms or dimensions.

I should have been a science fiction writer.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:05 AM

22,864 posts, read 28,127,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Stock View Post
I suggest you watch the second video I posted in this thread.
OK.

Quote:
While it is not definitive proof of aliens I think its pretty good evidence the government is lying to everyone.
The government lying? Of that, I have no doubt. But aliens and mass conspiracies and bases on the moon ... ? Have to say I'm skeptical.

Here is the thing about all such claims: The complete lack of definitive evidence. In the first video, the oceanographer talks about when he and a bunch of others went out to watch for UFOs, and they saw a huge craft 1/4 the size of the moon gently hover, then disappear in an instant. So here's my question: Not one person brought a camera? Not one???? You went out there to scout for UFOs, and not a single person thought to bring a camera and snap a photo of this gigantic craft that you claim several people saw???

It's stuff like that that keeps my open mind unconvinced.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
OK.

The government lying? Of that, I have no doubt. But aliens and mass conspiracies and bases on the moon ... ? Have to say I'm skeptical.

Here is the thing about all such claims: The complete lack of definitive evidence. In the first video, the oceanographer talks about when he and a bunch of others went out to watch for UFOs, and they saw a huge craft 1/4 the size of the moon gently hover, then disappear in an instant. So here's my question: Not one person brought a camera? Not one???? You went out there to scout for UFOs, and not a single person thought to bring a camera and snap a photo of this gigantic craft that you claim several people saw???

It's stuff like that that keeps my open mind unconvinced.
I hate to make an argument from a preponderance of evidence but I do want to point out this.

Quote:
PHOENIX (CBS5) -
Sixteen years after a group of mysterious lights were spotted by thousands throughout the Valley, theories still swirl about what was overhead.

"Most people saw a mile to two-mile wide formation of lights in a V-formation gliding (at) rooftop level," said Dr. Lynne Kitei, who has been studying the phenomenon for years.

"Some people actually saw a craft. Others saw these orbs detach from the main environment," she continued.

The mass sighting happened March 13, 1997, and Kitei says she's surprised there still has not been any definitive answer as to what was in the sky above Phoenix.
'Phoenix Lights' UFO theories still swirl 16 years after sightin - CBS 5 - KPHO
I was like you not long ago....Five years ago or so a total skeptic non believer. My turning point really was reading the Cooper book. Then I started weighing the evidence. Its not a question of if this type of flying machine could exist it is more of a how long would it take us to develop it. Reverse engineering a captured or crashed UFO would greatly speed up the process.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:45 AM

22,864 posts, read 28,127,532 times
Quote:
I was like you not long ago....Five years ago or so a total skeptic non believer. My turning point really was reading the Cooper book. Then I started weighing the evidence. Its not a question of if this type of flying machine could exist it is more of a how long would it take us to develop it. Reverse engineering a captured or crashed UFO would greatly speed up the process.
I don't doubt that there are UFOs, if by UFOs we mean "a flying object we cannot identify." I've seen a couple myself. I have zero problem with that. I have seen things in the sky I cannot explain, that did not move like any aircraft I have ever heard of.

But once you start talking aliens, mass government conspiracies, bases on the moon, etc., I remain unconvinced. I'm willing to admit the possibility. But the jury is still out. I believe in UFOs, with heavy emphasis on the "Unidentified" part of the definition.

If a supposedly well renowned oceanographer went out in the desert with a bunch of like minded people, and they all claim to have seen a massive UFO, where is the picture? The guy is a scientist. As a scientist, he knows that evidence is required. Either he's pulling our leg, or he's not very bright.

As for Mr. Cooper ... If it walks like a kook and talks like a kook, chances are pretty good it's a kook. I think Mr. Cooper was a kook. Doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't right on some things. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. But when he says stuff like the Knights of Columbus are involved with the Illuminati in a massive global conspiracy ... I just roll my eyes and laugh. The Knights of Columbus are a bunch of old guys who have pancakes at church on Saturday, raise money for charity, sometimes sponsor Boy Scout troops, visit nursing homes, and march in the Memorial Day parade. They don't have time to take over the world, because the Red Sox are on at 2 PM and the grandkids are coming over this weekend.

And when the guy is running around with Tim McVeigh militia types ... he's crossing the line from kook to dangerous kook.

Mr. Cooper may have been on to something at one time. But then it seems he went a little crazy. And a little crazy turned into a lot crazy in his latter years.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:50 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,911,440 times
Quote:
As I've pointed out in another thread, you need apparent width plus distance to estimate the size of something. I can cover the disk of the moon with a quarter held at the right distance from my eye ... And during a total eclipse, the moon (3400 km wide) exactly covers the disc of the sun (1.4 million km wide).

If by "1/4 the size of the moon", he means one quarter the apparent width of the moon, that tells us nothing about an observed object's actual size ... It could be an object a foot wide and a few feet above his head. If he means an object 800+ km wide, well, without the actual distance above the observer, he has no valid way of making such a claim.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:50 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,768,812 times
If you believe in evolution and the big bang theory, it is statistically impossible for them not to exist. Scientists have already theorized there would be over 200,000 Alien life forms in our Galaxy alone and there are billions and billiosn of galaxies out there.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:02 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,911,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
If you believe in evolution and the big bang theory, it is statistically impossible for them not to exist. Scientists have already theorized there would be over 200,000 Alien life forms in our Galaxy alone and there are billions and billions of galaxies out there.
I don't think the Big Bang has anything to do with there being other intelligent species out there. We now know there are many stumbling blocks along the way to a technological civilization making it to the stars on even the most life-friendly of planets:

* Life from non-life. No one knows how probable the development of life is on a given earth like planet, or what the preconditions are; we know it's not 0%, but it's not likely to be 100%. For all we know, this step may be so unlikely that we're the first planet in our galaxy to develop intelligent life. Suppose a roughly earth-sized planet with a giant moon like Earth's is required for life to develop in tidal flats ... we have no idea how likely binary planets are.

* Same for multicellular life developing from single cell organisms, and highly intelligent life from relatively stupid life. We have no idea how likely these developments are.

* An intelligent species needs the equipment for technology ... like hands or their equivalent (let's face it, porpoises may be geniuses, but they're never going to develop technology), maybe things like binocular vision and an upright posture freeing limbs to manipulate things. The percent of intelligent species capable of becoming technological is another big unknown.

* Once you have a technological species, what's the likelihood of its not blowing itself up before it makes it to the stars, poisoning itself into extinction, or ruining its ecosystems? Looking at our history since we developed the nuclear bomb, the prospects don't look all that positive.

* Once you have a technological species, what's the likelihood of its being eliminated or driven back to the stone age by natural disasters like asteroid impacts, super volcano eruptions, mega solar flares, etc.? What about plagues including the risk of a plague destroying the agricultural monocultures we've come to depend on for our food? If the major 19th century solar flare that burned out telegraph lines were to hit today, it potentially could send us back into a preindustrial place. A disease tearing through our agricultural crops could lead to mass starvation and civilization's inability to survive.

* What percentage of technological species who make it to the point where they can travel to the stars are crazy enough or ideologically driven enough to actually do it? What's the payoff to do so ... I have a hard time seeing a civilization investing major resources in leaving its solar system unless its driven by religious or philosophical motives.

For these reasons, I can't agree with the notion that it's statistically impossible that there are not spacefaring civilizations in the galaxy. Intelligent life, yes, but my bet is that the majority of civilizations in our galaxy are at a preindustrial state of evolution ... and most of those will never make it any further. And if there's a spacefaring civilization in the Andromeda Galaxy, I think its probably going to spend its time there rather than traipsing over to the Milky Way for a visit.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I don't doubt that there are UFOs, if by UFOs we mean "a flying object we cannot identify." I've seen a couple myself. I have zero problem with that. I have seen things in the sky I cannot explain, that did not move like any aircraft I have ever heard of.

But once you start talking aliens, mass government conspiracies, bases on the moon, etc., I remain unconvinced. I'm willing to admit the possibility. But the jury is still out. I believe in UFOs, with heavy emphasis on the "Unidentified" part of the definition.

If a supposedly well renowned oceanographer went out in the desert with a bunch of like minded people, and they all claim to have seen a massive UFO, where is the picture? The guy is a scientist. As a scientist, he knows that evidence is required. Either he's pulling our leg, or he's not very bright.

As for Mr. Cooper ... If it walks like a kook and talks like a kook, chances are pretty good it's a kook. I think Mr. Cooper was a kook. Doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't right on some things. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. But when he says stuff like the Knights of Columbus are involved with the Illuminati in a massive global conspiracy ... I just roll my eyes and laugh. The Knights of Columbus are a bunch of old guys who have pancakes at church on Saturday, raise money for charity, sometimes sponsor Boy Scout troops, visit nursing homes, and march in the Memorial Day parade. They don't have time to take over the world, because the Red Sox are on at 2 PM and the grandkids are coming over this weekend.

And when the guy is running around with Tim McVeigh militia types ... he's crossing the line from kook to dangerous kook.

Mr. Cooper may have been on to something at one time. But then it seems he went a little crazy. And a little crazy turned into a lot crazy in his latter years.
I take it your not a Patriot? Do you believe in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights? And no I'm not trying to derail the thread I am just wondering why you think Cooper is crazy given today's 1984 Orwellian dictatorship we live under? Cooper wasn't crazy, just ahead of his time by about...15 years.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,014,586 times
They have been saying similar things for 40 years, and yet can't prove et's exist, or can't even show legit proof they are visiting earth.

People like to talk out of their asses.

Though I guess it's either destruction by ET, or rainbows and unicorns and sudden peace on earth because of ET.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal