U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 02:07 PM

2,920 posts, read 5,133,125 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's increasing in real life. There are a few more TV shows/movies right now, just as there were a LOT of paranormal shows about 20 years ago in the 90s. Come to think of it--there were a lot of paranormal shows on 20 years prior to that, in the 70s.

Maybe it's just a cyclical thing. Like cop shows & westerns.

I bet the shows you mentioned won't be back with new episodes until the fall. It seems like they always like to have their premieres coincide with Halloween for some reason.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 03:26 PM

5,936 posts, read 4,590,831 times
I lived as a boarder in a pre-Revolutionary War house in northern Connecticut for about half a year back in the early 80s. There were scratching and skittering sounds in the walls just like in the movie The Exorcist ... which a couple of well-placed mousetraps took care of. Victorians used to associate a tapping noise in the walls with an impending death ... the Death Watch counting down to the death ... but it's really a small beetle that lives in the wood of an old house announcing its presence to other members of its species.

Deathwatch beetle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People are more inclined to attribute the normal sounds you get in an old house to the paranormal if they've been watching a lot of paranormal shows, I think. Old houses creak, tap, groan, make thumping noises. So do many newer houses. I don't think there are more paranormal experiences occurring these days, just that more people are attending to unexpected noises and sights and assigning a paranormal meaning to them due to the influence of the many paranormal shows and movies out these days.

If you watch a number of these shows (I admit, I'm a fan of the Paranormal Witness/Haunting genre), you'll notice that one spouse is often a skeptic, the other a believer. They both hear the sounds, see the shadows, but they interpret the evidence of their senses differently.

Certain themes crop up in the popular media; right now, it's the paranormal, zombies, and vampires. This I suspect is a reaction to the state of the country/world ... just as the Cold War paranoia films like The Thing and Invasion of the Body Snatchers were a reaction to the events of those times. Ten years from now, we'll no doubt be in a different cycle.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkangel1973 View Post
Has anyone else noticed the increase in paranormal activity?: I have been having some experiences that I can't explain away. Btw does anyone know when the new episodes for Paranormal Witness,Dead Files and A Haunting come on?
I have noticed a significant increase over the last year. Everywhere. Including jumping thin spots and things coming out into view that normally hide in the periphery. I've been wondering if anyone else had noticed this....what are you experiencing?

Old 08-10-2014, 02:07 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,029,186 times
Yes, it's just you.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:12 PM

759 posts, read 452,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWatcher1977 View Post
I have noticed a significant increase over the last year. Everywhere. Including jumping thin spots and things coming out into view that normally hide in the periphery. I've been wondering if anyone else had noticed this....what are you experiencing?
Just curious -- what are jumping thin spots? I'm fascinated by the paranormal (haven't seen an increase here though... yet... ) but have never heard that term before.

-

Old 08-15-2014, 07:46 PM

33,415 posts, read 29,876,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm 65 and haven't noticed any increase in activity in my lifetime. Paranormal activity has always been around, if one is sensitive or open to it. Perhaps your sensitivity is increasing.
i am not far behind you age wise(55), and i agree that paranormal activity doesnt seem to have increased. however there is more interest in such activity today than there has been in the past, so it might seem like it has increased. and yes i am a bit sensitive to such activity.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 1,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjeena View Post
Just curious -- what are jumping thin spots? I'm fascinated by the paranormal (haven't seen an increase here though... yet... ) but have never heard that term before.

-
Thin spots are like tunnels/rips in the fabric of time/space/dimension. Most thin spots are only open occasionally in a singular location and only lead through to a singular place. A jumping thin spot is one that may appear in one location that leads to a certain place, then closes only to reopen in another location, but end in the same spot as the first. (For example: it may be open for a few days on one street or neighborhood, then suddenly it has moved across the city, to another street/neighborhood for a few days, and continues moving, but when you enter, it takes you to the same place the original one took you.)
For the edification of anyone who reads this: ALWAYS LEAVE A THIN SPOT IN THE EXACT SAME PLACE WITH THE EXACT SAME ROUTE YOU ENTERED!

Old 08-18-2014, 08:24 AM

148 posts, read 193,965 times
paranormal activity is much like employment. If you do not seek it out, it will not become a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal