U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 10:25 PM

6,929 posts, read 8,635,120 times

Advertisements

I just saw a news article that dealt with former Boston Red Sox legend Ted Williams, and that his family had him frozen after he died.
This brings up a point which is well worth discussing.
We who have studied spirits and the afterlife have perhaps never given Cryogenics a thought, but today it has caused me to think about the outcome of such a practice.
I have heard for years that Walt Disney was frozen after his death, but I don't have any proof of that.
Because of my active research in spirits, and their behavior, I am of the belief that when the human body dies, the spirit within removes itself from the human bondage to once again join other spirits in their part of the universe.
This being the case, what could be the advantage of having a human body frozen in time in the hope that one day that body would once again live?
Without a spirit (soul), I believe the body does not live,
To my knowledge, when a spirit re-incarnates, it is into the body of a newly born.
If it were the case that a spirit (soul) would incarnate into an adult body, humans who died would mysteriously have new life again, and I have not known that to happen.
That would be coming back from the dead.
So, to my way of thinking,Cryogenics is a futile attempt at something that is physically impossible.
Your thoughts.
Bob.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 11:16 PM

13,615 posts, read 22,239,600 times
I agree with you.

With one exception. They apparently have frozen and reanimated some dogs and pigs. But they were living.

So the rub appears to be that they aren't allowed to cryo-freeze a living person, they have to wait until the person is dead. It might work if they were allowed to freeze a living person with something nasty, to bring him back to have it cured, but to our laws right now -- that's considered murder.

And who knows if the soul would stay with a body in stasis?

Old 05-23-2014, 11:35 PM

14,769 posts, read 15,198,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I agree with you.

With one exception. They apparently have frozen and reanimated some dogs and pigs. But they were living.

So the rub appears to be that they aren't allowed to cryo-freeze a living person, they have to wait until the person is dead. It might work if they were allowed to freeze a living person with something nasty, to bring him back to have it cured, but to our laws right now -- that's considered murder.

And who knows if the soul would stay with a body in stasis?
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.. I don't see how it would work if the person has already died. Basically just seems like an expensive form of preserving the body.. But the idea itself reminds me of 2 films: 1. Encino Man, where the caveman did survive lol, and 2. Vanilla Sky, where the man's brain function was sustained after death through technological advancement..but became its own "living" nightmare..

Old 05-24-2014, 01:14 AM

3,751 posts, read 6,735,383 times
Once dead, Spirit/Soul is gone. It will move on to a new life. Now if the person is frozen while still alive...that is the big question. I am inclined to think that it would be something very much like going into a deprivation tank for a very long time. If that is the case, then some of the things that John Lilly encountered in his exploration of his invention (the deprivation tank), then, NO THANKS!

Old 05-24-2014, 02:46 AM

19,284 posts, read 25,808,645 times
the naysayers and science says we die dead,,,no spirit bridge to anywhere..

so, for those who can afford it - they are freezing the head, in liquid nitrogen-
I did a report about this is college, they did take a dog, drain its blood, and then put like antifreeze thru its body after freezing it- and it worked...but it wasn't cooled for that long..
cell damage is always the case when frozen

I think science will be able to take an old persons head and place it on a young persons body, long before they can revive these frozen heads..

this is scary enough,,,,

Old 05-24-2014, 09:52 AM

23,572 posts, read 24,669,337 times
In the case of cryogenics, the person's soul would continue on to the afterlife. However if their body is later brought back to life, they would then have to go back. If you went to heaven, I could see where they'd be pretty ticked off and you'd better not screw up really bad the next life because if there's one thing I do know it's God has a good memory.

But, if the person was sent to hell and then was restored, the devil would be all; "where's Bob?! he didn't show up for work today." Ha! Satan is pwnd

Old 05-24-2014, 02:38 PM

14,769 posts, read 15,198,308 times
Man, the more I think about this, the more ridiculous & twisted it seems..lol. The ultimate goal is to bring a person back from the dead..? Is that correct?! Like as if freakin' aliens are going to stumble upon these dead bodies in a million years and start performing sci-fi miracles..

Old 05-24-2014, 03:24 PM

5,902 posts, read 4,982,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
1. With one exception. They apparently have frozen and reanimated some dogs and pigs. But they were living.

2. So the rub appears to be that they aren't allowed to cryo-freeze a living person, they have to wait until the person is dead.

3. It might work if they were allowed to freeze a living person with something nasty, to bring him back to have it cured, but to our laws right now -- that's considered murder.

4. And who knows if the soul would stay with a body in stasis?
1. Source, please?

2. To be fair, though, death appears to be a gradual process. Thus, I think that when they currently cryogenically preserve someone, then this individual is not fully dead--rather, the process of death has begun, but the body (including the brain) are not fully dead yet before the cryogenic preservation takes place.

3. In my honest opinion, the current laws in regards to this appear to be idiotic. After all, why exactly someone shouldn't be able to consent to this option? It is their life and their body, after all.

4. Wouldn't this be begging the question by assuming that a soul even exists?

Old 05-24-2014, 03:52 PM

5,783 posts, read 4,499,383 times
The hypothesis is, perhaps some day medical science will reach the point where it can reanimate a head, restore it to life, and clone a body from its cells. Or, science might be able one day to read the brain's circuitry and "upload" the person into a new meat or metal body.

The problem with both hypotheses is: consciousness and memory are dynamic electro-chemical phenomena that go into quiescence during e.g., a coma, but they don't go away. A decapitated post-mortem head is meat, the energy-chemical dynamics that made it alive and conscious are gone. And the brain isn't a computer ... you can thank the great computer scientist John von Neumann for that misinterpretation in the late 1950s, based on the observation that neurons firing could be interpreted as on-off switches in an electrical circuit. Well, it turns out that's just a crude approximation of what's going on in a brain ... even the brain of a lower animal. It's not just on-off switches, and my suspicion is that there's something going on with all beings that's beyond our current understanding ... at the quantum level, we're tied into ... something. Another dimension or set of dimensions? The "spirit world"?

One view is that the body and soul are one, there is no spirit animating it, and when the body dies, that's all she wrote. At the opposite extreme, you have dualism, which is the notion that the spirit and the body are two things, and the spirit "rides" the body, animating it. My guess is that's the belief of many in this forum. I'm Eastern Orthodox Christian, and in the writings of our Church, there's a divide as to whether we're more of a duality of body and spirit, or a trinity: body, soul, and spirit ... which is what in that way of thinking distinguishes us from the animals, who are a duality. I suppose we'll all find out one day.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:23 PM

14,017 posts, read 18,903,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
.... I suppose we'll all find out one day.
Or not! If there is no soul or spirit which survives our bodies, then death closes all and our awareness ceases. So if that's the case we will not "find out" anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal