U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 05:17 AM

36,561 posts, read 47,190,370 times

Advertisements

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 09:43 AM

498 posts, read 860,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's better than swamp gas or balloons.

Many, perhaps most, sightings have been erroneous. But to deny the compelling evidence of the Roswell crash is just plain silly.
I'm not saying that that's what they are, I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of incredibly unlikely explanations for sightings and experiences that are still more likely than extraterrestrial involvement.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:34 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,503,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Oh I don't think you are jumping to conclusions here, but are calling it what it was. It was a flying object you could not identify. That's a UFO. Now if you added to that description aliens from another world or that it was an interplanetary spaceship that would be jumping to conclusions, but you have not said that. You have only related your experience and described the object.
But, I'd believe aliens before I'd believe it was the SHIELD Hellacarrier. We don't have the tech to makes something not aerodynamic to fly, even if it did it with shear power, we can't even make a large ship cruise over the equivilent of what, 50mph with large 20cyclinder diesel engines. Lets start with that before we start planning Carnivals cross country flight.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:23 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,014,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
But, I'd believe aliens before I'd believe it was the SHIELD Hellacarrier. We don't have the tech to makes something not aerodynamic to fly, even if it did it with shear power, we can't even make a large ship cruise over the equivilent of what, 50mph with large 20cyclinder diesel engines. Lets start with that before we start planning Carnivals cross country flight.
I'm not sure what the SHIELD Hellacarrier is but I think you miss my point. My sighting was in June of 1967 in rural Michigan at a time when I had never heard of UFO's and had no inkling of such things. Whoever was piloting that craft didn't stop to say hi, they just flew on by, so I cannot say anything about them. All I saw was the craft flying by. I've not ruled out anything, but then I've not added in anything I didn't see either.

I'm quite sure that was I saw that morning was far beyond our earthly technology at the time and we can certainly speculate a great deal about it, but I cannot say for certain anything I didn't actually see. I've had other sightings as well, one of which was quite spectacular, but again I can't assign it to aliens I didn't see, all I can do is describe what I actually saw.

My point is the importance of keeping speculation separate from observed fact.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:15 AM

21,527 posts, read 19,327,248 times
I was out stargazing and checking to see some fireworks last night at about 11 PM. I caught sight of a yellow orange globe rapidly rising into the sky. No, not a UFO. It was a Chinese lantern although its ascent was faster than I thought was possible, not plane speed, but not a slow float either. But it was a cooler evening with temps about 70 degrees or under so that may have explained it. It burned out as it got closer overhead, it didn't suddenly zoom off or change direction. It just blinked out.
Some things are easily explained, some things are explained with careful study. Other things defy explanation. And putting a lame explanation that doesn't make much sense to something otherwise unexplainable is as bad as jumping to conclusions in the first place.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,014,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Some things are easily explained, some things are explained with careful study. Other things defy explanation. And putting a lame explanation that doesn't make much sense to something otherwise unexplainable is as bad as jumping to conclusions in the first place.
Agreed. Remember the swamp gas explanation in the 60's in Michigan? J. Allen Hynek had to recant that one, and people knew full well what they had seen was not swamp gas. When it comes to UFO's the debunkers come out in droves, as recommended by the Robertson Panel. It became politically vital to ridicule anyone reporting a UFO sighting, giving birth to the giggle factor that comes into play any time the subject comes up. It's why most people keep shut up about what they see. I didn't tell anyone what I saw for over 40 years.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:08 PM

8,274 posts, read 23,320,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
This is just something that bugs me and I wondered if there was a particular reason. Take, for example, three lights appearing in the sky suddenly, doing some complicated maneuvering, and then disappearing. A fairly typical UFO encounter, right?
Because they are unidentified, flying, and usually an object of some sort.

I think the question should be Why are they automatically assumed to be extraterrestrial?

Old 07-12-2014, 09:19 PM

381 posts, read 552,917 times
There's a lot of people seeing some very weird things in the sky. That's a fact. Just check out ufocenter.com. Are some of them hoaxes or explainable events? Definitely. But there are many truly bizarre sightings with no explanation.

I myself had a UFO sighting in Ohio about ten years ago. It was something I will never forget.

Could it have been military? Sure. But why would a military craft be slowly drifting, silently, over a rural area at 4:30 A.M.?

Old 07-15-2014, 12:11 PM

11,787 posts, read 14,712,336 times
Most everyone has experience with what man made craft can do. We've all seen most fighter jets, commercial planes, stunt planes, helicopters, jump jets etc.

There's only so many g's people can pull. Manmade craft general have a front and a back and markings and windows. If people see something that doesn't fit the profile of man made aircraft they are going to call it an alien craft. Especially if it disappears, goes to warp or into hyperspace right in front of them.

I have never seen a UFO. And quite frankly, don't want to. Seems like your life gets screwed up if you come in close contact with one.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:00 AM

7,029 posts, read 3,516,390 times
Quote:
But to deny the compelling evidence of the Roswell crash is just plain silly.
Might I enquire what that compelling evidence is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal