U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:08 AM

19,192 posts, read 22,898,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
This is just something that bugs me and I wondered if there was a particular reason. Take, for example, three lights appearing in the sky suddenly, doing some complicated maneuvering, and then disappearing. A fairly typical UFO encounter, right?

What seems more likely:
1. An alien spaceship/spaceships appeared before you for no apparent reason and then left a few minutes later.

2. A freak wind storm blew three battery powered spotlights into your general area and then juggled them around in such a way that they stayed in sync with each others' movements. A few minutes later their batteries die and the windstorm blows the lights away to somewhere else.

#2 is a highly unlikely scenario, but I think it's still quite a bit more plausible than #1. What then drives people to immediately arrive at conclusion #1 instead of a very unlikely but still more plausible #2?
Not everyone who has seen a UFO jumps to the alien conclusion. Yours truly, for example.

I saw something in the sky I cannot explain. It was a large silvery object flying very high in the sky, going about the same speed as you'd expect to see a commercial jet airliner to move. In fact, I thought it was a jet airliner, although I was a little baffled about why it left no contrail and why I couldn't hear any engine noise. I couldn't see any wings, but at the height it was flying, that's not unusual. But all of a sudden it did an immediate 45 degree turn and took off across the sky far faster than any commercial airliner could have done at that altitude. It was out of sight in a second or less.

What was it?

I have no idea. It was an unidentified flying object, with heavy emphasis on the unidentified.

I have no explanation for what it was, because I know of no current technology capable of that kind of vector. I've seen satellites in the night sky, and they don't make 45 degree turns and take off at super sonic speeds. I am very, very, VERY skeptical that it was "alien," not that I'm discounting the possibility. I've just never seen any convincing evidence that there are aliens.

I saw something I cannot identify, and I leave it at that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 06:56 PM

2,701 posts, read 4,213,444 times
Just like everyone points to Area 51 as THE alien HQ on earth.. And while people all look there, the experiments and test go on in other parts of the country away from prying eyes.. So it makes sense if something is going on with aircraft(spacecraft) then why no do it out in public and make so many people give strange reports it becomes not only un believable but also tiresome to listen to it.. So then they can do their research pubicly if you will and not have to worry that they are seen...

Old 07-17-2014, 07:10 PM
NCN

21,142 posts, read 23,103,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
This is just something that bugs me and I wondered if there was a particular reason. Take, for example, three lights appearing in the sky suddenly, doing some complicated maneuvering, and then disappearing. A fairly typical UFO encounter, right?

What seems more likely:
1. An alien spaceship/spaceships appeared before you for no apparent reason and then left a few minutes later.

2. A freak wind storm blew three battery powered spotlights into your general area and then juggled them around in such a way that they stayed in sync with each others' movements. A few minutes later their batteries die and the windstorm blows the lights away to somewhere else.

#2 is a highly unlikely scenario, but I think it's still quite a bit more plausible than #1. What then drives people to immediately arrive at conclusion #1 instead of a very unlikely but still more plausible #2?
We went for a walk with our dog down our dead end street. The dog who is usually calm kept barking and looking toward the woods. He was irritated and kept being a problem until we got back home to three excited children. They had seen a UFO at the edge of the woods where the dog kept barking at. Our daughter and her friend described a football looking shape with lights around it. The lights were spinning in a circular motion. It stayed in one spot and then disappeared. Their way of saying this was that it left so fast they could not see it go.

Move forward a few years and we find our daughter in a school room with students her own age. The question was asked if anyone had ever seen a UFO. We had cautioned her that it would not be a good idea to tell people about her experience so she said nothing. Another child in the class said he had seen a UFO. When asked where the sighting had been he said he and his mother had driven past our house (He mentioned our daughter's name.) and had seen the UFO from their car.

What do you think? UFO or some government experimental aircraft. I feel so jealous I did not see it.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:23 PM

4 posts, read 2,559 times
Well, several countries have funded very serious national studies on the subject of the phenomenon of UFOs, including mine, France.
The AAF commision SIGMA, that gathers the highest ranking scientists and miltary of my country on the subject took 3 years to write an axhaustive report on the subject of UFOs. It was originally demanded by the French President of the Republic Jacques Chirac and was sent to him and to the Prime Minister of that time Lionel Jospin (1998)

The National Center for Space Studies (CNRS) has a national antenna devoted to the study of UFOs
since the late 1970's. It collects every data known on the subject on the french soil
Intel from normal citizens like you and me, police officers, military, scientists ect...
It's called the GEIPAN. It's very serious, they're not wankers, they are top ranking scientists.
They open their files a few years ago but refuse to draw conclusions.

What the AAF commission came out with is the COMETA report.
In this report, they conclude that the privileged hypothesis regarding the UFO phenomenon
is that it does not come from Earth. Remember that the first nation to publicly declare the existence
of UFOs was Denmark in 1936. The government and military were reporting vehicules flying at incredible speeds,
making 90° turns, making stationary flight and then extremly fast acceleration measured by radars up to 13 000 km/h
and playing tricks with the pilots that were sent to chase them.
That's one of the reason why the AAF commission states that the most probable explication of the UFO phenomenon
is the extraterrestrial hypothesis.ymo

Old 07-30-2014, 07:43 PM

2,966 posts, read 4,582,519 times
I saw one around 1991, and I call it a ufo because as far as I could tell, that's what it was. I have no other explanation for it. I was perfectly sober, sane and wide awake, just watching a random tv show when I heard the loud hum and looked up and saw the lights.

It was a UFO. Not sure what else you would call a massive ship that hovered very low, directly over my house, very slowly, then shot into the horizon in a single flash, faster than the speed of light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchman View Post

I myself had a UFO sighting in Ohio about ten years ago. It was something I will never forget.

... But why would a military craft be slowly drifting, silently, over a rural area at 4:30 A.M.?
Mine was in NE Ohio, years prior to that, shortly after 10 pm., and also in a rural area. Interesting.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:26 AM

5,744 posts, read 10,652,800 times
Isn't it egotisical to assume that with all the other galaxies with their planets that our little home planet Earth holds the only so-called intelligent life form?

And that there might be advanced technolgies on those other planets?

Me,, I readily accept that we're not alone in the universe.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 AM

It is a tad egotistical.

On the other hand, based on our current scientific knowledge, we have NO EVIDENCE of life beyond Earth. None. One might counter that we have only scratched the tiniest surface of a very vast cosmos, and I would wholeheartedly agree with that.

When it comes to the question of whether or not there is life beyond Earth, I don't know. We have no evidence there is. But we have VERY limited evidence. If I had to place a bet, I'd bet there is life out there somewhere. Whether or not it is visiting us ... ? Of that I am very skeptical. I'm not willing to discount the possibility, but I have never seen any convincing evidence that UFOs are extraterrestrial vehicles.

UFOs exist. The evidence for them is pretty overwhelming. What they are ... ? Remains unanswered. They are UNIDENTIFIED Flying Objects.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:00 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,016,856 times
It's not that people jump to a conclusion of UFO's, that's just the only description of a flying object one cannot identify. The conclusion some jump to when they see such a thing is that it's piloted by aliens from another world, which invites other conclusions, that they are here to invade us, abduct us, eat us for dinner, or help us evolve into a new higher spiritual society, etc, etc, yadda yadda ya....

People read into UFO's all sorts of things out of their imaginations, but you really can't blame them, the US military and Intelligence apparatus arrived at the same conclusions when it presented Gen. Hoyt Vandenburg The Estimate of the Situation, in which they arrived at the extraterrestrial conclusion as the explanation of the "flying saucers." Vandenburg rejected it out of hand and told them to get him some other explanation. He then ordered all copies of The Estimate destroyed.

It's worth noting that NATO SHAPE (Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe) came up with the same conclusion in the 1960's in The Assessment.

So it's not just Joe Average that comes up with the alien idea, those charged with our national security and defense have also done so.

Just sayin....

Old 07-31-2014, 10:18 AM

"Extraterrestrial" is a conclusion that you really have to jump to. Jump a LOOOOONG ways. Like light years.

Maybe UFOs are time travelers from our own future, traveling back to the 20th and 21st centuries to take advantage of our amazing movies, music, and burritos? There is just as much evidence that UFOs are really time-traveling terrestrials from the future as there is that they are extraterrestrial visitors from distant stars or other dimensions.

Or maybe they are a natural phenomenon we simply haven't discovered yet?

Or maybe it's a misfire of neurons in our brains?

Until evidence proves otherwise, all of these are possible explanations.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:27 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,016,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Extraterrestrial" is a conclusion that you really have to jump to. Jump a LOOOOONG ways. Like light years
Maybe UFOs are time travelers from our own future, traveling back to the 20th and 21st centuries to take advantage of our amazing movies, music, and burritos?
Well if they are having to come here from the future for what we have now it means our future is pretty bleak. It can't be for the movies, I can get movies from the 1930's online now, and as for our music, that's been going downhill for a long time, but you can get old music same as old movies online, so it can't be that. Burritos, maybe, but if our future society can't make a decent burrito I don't want to be around to see it.

As for the light years thing, we can't go there with our primitive chemical rockets in any realistic timeframe, but unless we know everything about physics, which some assume we do, there may well be methods of traveling such distances we don 't yet know about, or which most choose to dismiss out of hand. There was a time when it was universally accepted that a heavier than air craft could never fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal