U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 02:25 PM

11,978 posts, read 11,248,688 times

Advertisements

Phobias may be memories passed down in genes from ancestors - Telegraph

"Researchers at the Emory University School of Medicine, in Atlanta, found that mice can pass on learned information about traumatic or stressful experiences – in this case a fear of the smell of cherry blossom – to subsequent generations.

The results may help to explain why people suffer from seemingly irrational phobias – it may be based on the inherited experiences of their ancestors."

This is pretty fascinating! I think many people have always thought that they've carried on personality traits, etc from their ancestors but the fact that we could possibly be born with their memories and fears is astounding to me. We have so much to learn about our own consciousness and history.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 02:37 PM

12,760 posts, read 8,494,291 times
I've always though that, too.

For instance, many people are afraid of spiders, which, when you think about it is somewhat irrational given the size differences. Even the biggest spider is small compared to humans.

I always thought fears like that stemmed from a time when spiders were much much bigger and humans may have had very good reasons to fear them!

It's interesting about the mice, although I accidentally performed a similar experiment decades ago. For some reason my house became infested with tiny moths. I started vacuuming them up. They just sat there and let me do that, they didn't try to fly away.

When the next generation was born and the house again began filling up with moths, they ALL tried to get away as soon as they heard the sound of the vacuum cleaner! I was amazed.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:49 PM

13,592 posts, read 22,224,588 times
Well -- totally makes sense to me.

I can tell you this. I have diabetes, which is very manageable for me IF I do what needs to be done. I can live a long relatively healthy life IF I take care of myself. I might even make it GO AWAY.

And yet, it annoys me. Drives me crazy. I just took a year off from it. I'm going back to the doctor and stepping back up to the plate. I consider myself somewhat compliant, but yet resistant to change. (this past year -- NOT COMPLIANT AT ALL)

Reason I say this? My father was somewhat compliant and resistant with his doctor, his brothers were somewhat complaint (one far less so and died in his 40's) with their doctors... as was their mother....

I'm on facebook with a cousin and she was complaining about how my uncle WILL NOT take care of himself (also diabetic...) and scoffs at the doctors.

That was a wakeup call to me -- this bullheadedness RUNS IN THE FAMILY. I HAVE to break this cycle. And in a month I've dropped 10 pounds, by eating right and watching my stupid carbs.

And this diabetes thing? I'd bet if my Dad was still here, he'd have it -- his brother does. I'd bet his mother did. My mother had "pre-diabetes" -- controlled by diet.

MY HEALTH NUT SISTER -- pre-diabetic.

And all of us stubborn as mules.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:51 PM

96 posts, read 90,764 times
Genetic memory of past lives. All stored in our memory, and fears too.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:16 AM

7,928 posts, read 6,286,811 times
How would this theory explain when one sibling has a phobia and another does not?

I do believe there are certainly what I might call "cultural phobias" based on the collective experiences of a group of people and their history. I believe, in this case, that the parents unwittingly transfer their own discomfort or phobias to their children (and grandchildren, and so on, through subsequent generations) by their actions or unconscious reactions to various stimuli. I am thinking of some stereotypical (but still often true) fears that certain ethnic groups have based upon the experiences of prior generations.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:52 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,631,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overoceanx View Post
Genetic memory of past lives. All stored in our memory, and fears too.
Clarification please. By "past lives" do you mean ancestors with whom we're related?

Old 06-28-2014, 04:24 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,631,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinealley View Post
That, as well as, you are your ancestors... Hope that clarifies things
Agreed. We are the sum total of our ancestors, but I wasn't certain that the poster specifically meant that, which is why I was asking for a clarification. Some people speak about past lives as meaning having lived the life of anyone from the past even if they're not related in that sense.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:36 PM

96 posts, read 90,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Clarification please. By "past lives" do you mean ancestors with whom we're related?

And our ancestors and other neighbors who lived five hundred years or a thousand years ago. It all depends on the age of your soul and enlightenment. Ignorant people or not spiritual people can remember nothing about past lives, or simply do not believe it. Perhaps such people break the soul after death, or their memory is erased. I can not speak, or say it's just a guess. But the soul of advanced enlightened people hoard experience past lives. This is just a hypothesis.

As the French say : déjà vu

Quote:
Hardly a person who does not know what is deja vu, who has never experienced this strange phenomenon - feeling as if experienced at the moment painfully familiar and already happened before in exactly the same manner. Some can even predict voice of the caller, which he not only said, but may not yet have thought of that. This is called the French word "deja vu", which literally translates as "déjà vu."

A simple example:

So you see, good or bad person, this knowledge is not only the experience of your life, but maybe it's out of your past lives.

Last edited by Overoceanx; 06-28-2014 at 05:00 PM..

Old 06-28-2014, 05:49 PM

8,578 posts, read 6,377,727 times
The title of this thread sure caught my eye. If there's anything to this, it would explain my phobia about mice. Not just a fear of them.. a true terror of them.

I've heard the usual comments and they're logical: "they're more afraid of you than you are of them", "you're bigger than they are. What's wrong with you";

But I can't get past the terror. I used to be a fire/arson investigator too! This phobia of mine even affected my ability to do my job in a few cases. Once I was in an attic looking for the source of some smoke and a burning odor. There was a FD Captain from a mutual aid department at the base of the ladder. He called up to me "while you're up there look around for any rats. They might have eaten through some wires." One of the firefighters from my department who was holding the ladder said, "Captain I wish you hadn't said that. You better move back some." Sure enough, I was out of that attic and climbing down that ladder as fast as I could. I didn't stop at the bottom of the ladder either. I reached the bottom, walked down the hallway and out the front door.

I could go on and on but the whole reason I'm posting is that I was once asked by a doctor if I'd ever had any sort of traumatic encounter with mice or rats. I never had but my mother did. While she was pregnant with me.

In the early 50's my parents lived in a small apartment in upstate New York. My father was in the service and was stationed near the Canadian border. My mother stayed in the apartment. Once during the night, my mother felt something crawling on her feet. She woke to find two rats on her bed. One or both had crawled across her feet. Of course she screamed out as loudly as she could. She ran out of the apartment. Neighbors came out to help. One couple, upon hearing what had happened, offered to let my mom stay with them. The next day the husband went in with rat traps and placed them all around. To make a long story short, my mom couldn't bring herself to reside in that apartment ever again.

So maybe my phobia isn't as irrational as we've thought all these years...

Old 06-29-2014, 03:43 PM

5,779 posts, read 4,492,718 times
Here's a more detailed article discussing the study:

Study finds that fear can travel quickly through generations of mice DNA - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal