Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 02:43 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I think I may have put my finger on the fundamental problem with your approach: all psychics are frauds.
Except for the ones that get results, like the search-and-rescue ones. Or the one who accurately predicted I'd be in some kind of travel accident 6 months after I saw her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 02:58 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Except for the ones that get results, like the search-and-rescue ones. Or the one who accurately predicted I'd be in some kind of travel accident 6 months after I saw her.
1. The claims that the search and rescue ones get result have all been disproved.

2. "Some kind of travel accident in six months" is so vague that it applies to almost anyone and anything.

Don't be a sucker.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
1. The claims that the search and rescue ones get result have all been disproved.

2. "Some kind of travel accident in six months" is so vague that it applies to almost anyone and anything.

Don't be a sucker.
hahaha! Not really, re: the latter. Because I rarely travel. Oh well.

The local search-and-rescue one still gets called to help, and gets results.

The thing is, we all have some degree of psychic ability. But we've been convinced that stuff isn't "real", so we ignore it, and don't develop it. Some people are more gifted in this arena than others, just like some people have perfect pitch while others are tone deaf, and still others are everywhere on the spectrum in-between.

And there are also tons of fakes, which doesn't help the public image.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:45 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
"Oh look, I stubbed my toe on the way out to the garage.The psychic was right."

Old 07-04-2014, 04:12 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Why do you never see the newspaper headline

Psychic Wins Lottery

Old 07-04-2014, 05:18 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,096,958 times
Maybe they spend their time at the racetrack, placing bets for win, place, and show.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
"Oh look, I stubbed my toe on the way out to the garage.The psychic was right."
"Oh, look, I was riding in my friend's car in California and we hit a patch of ice on the freeway entrance (in CA, where there's ice and snow only once in a blue moon), and the car flipped over completely, but we walked away unscathed".

Old 07-04-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Why do you never see the newspaper headline

Psychic Wins Lottery
Actually, there's a guy here in NM who's psychic about the slot machines. He has hunches about which ones will pay out. Sometimes he tips off the retirees about which one to play, and they win big. He did make headlines.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:46 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
hahaha! Not really, re: the latter. Because I rarely travel. Oh well.

The local search-and-rescue one still gets called to help, and gets results.

The thing is, we all have some degree of psychic ability. But we've been convinced that stuff isn't "real", so we ignore it, and don't develop it. Some people are more gifted in this arena than others, just like some people have perfect pitch while others are tone deaf, and still others are everywhere on the spectrum in-between.

And there are also tons of fakes, which doesn't help the public image.
I don't know if it's psychic powers. She may just have superior deductive abilities, and much of it may be done subconsciously. I often pull answers out of nowhere when I'm doing pub trivia, and everyone thinks I've done something amazing (others have accused me of cheating), but really, in all cases, the answers can be traced back to something I read long ago (in one recent case it was a "fun facts" book from 30 years ago). Subconsciously, I've just dug into my memory banks and pulled it out.

For someone who knows a lot about search and rescue, it may be less that she's driven by supernatural abilities, and more that her subconscious is aggregating the known information and calculating the odds of someone being at a particular location at a particular time. The subconscious is pretty amazing.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:53 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
Quote:
"Let's see. I'm getting water. Did your loved one have a particular affinity for water, or did the pilot have something to do with a large body of water?"
That was an enlightening observation and so smooth, with so much effort. I actually had to take the day off from mentally engaging in the Ross Harris event of murder. You can see my posts on that thread by the way.

If you really want to know the truth- the insurance wasn't bought to track the plane. The communication was horrible and I picked up on that way before it was known, ( or the huge crack of communication) SO, now it's a psychics fault because MH-370 is still lost?? Hummm.. that would be on the level of saving on the insurance and your comment of-- Let's see. I'm getting water. Did your loved one have a particular affinity for water, or did the pilot have something to do with a large body of water.

So, how cheap is the answer suppose to get? My headaches are worth something, darling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal