U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 05:07 PM

22,631 posts, read 13,945,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Having been involved with spirit contact for many years now, I have to say Edward is an absolute fraud.
So what do I base my conclusion on?

It has been my experience(and I'm sure others in the field will back me up on this)spirit contact is far from an instant reaction at best.
Over the years I have spoken with a number of spirits, and not one gave an instant response like this fraud Edward seems to get.

Spirit contact takes time, and more often than not, a response may not happen.
It is important to know just how contact is done, on the part of the spirit.
Experience, and gained knowledge tell me that spirits give out, and receive energy when in communication.
This energy isn't something that is produced in an instant.
I believe without this energy, spirit communication would never happen.

So for those who are gullible enough, people like Edward can , and do portray something which they are not, and there are some who would believe these types are gifted.
There is another one (don't recall his name) that use to scribble on a pad while supposedly making contact.
Complete and utter nonsense.
Bob.
I agree with these points.

If it were a real spiritual medium, I would think that it would take a person a lot of energy, concentration and focus, in order to establish communication with the spirit world.

Meaning, a medium would close their eyes, focus hard, and take some time to get ready. Yes perhaps that's a bit "Hollywood" but still.

'Mediums' like Edward look about as focused during a spiritual reading as I would be watching a tv program. At least he could put forth the effort to make it more 'real.'

Now I'm not criticizing or insulting those who do have a genuine belief in these types of things. But at the same time I have no qualms about criticizing those who take advantage of others in order to enrich themselves.

John Edwards' website lists a fee of $850 for a private reading (plus additional $100 for extra persons).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 06:48 PM

5,888 posts, read 4,564,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Feel free to doubt all you want, but I can tell you that 8 of us came away believers having experienced what we did ... Again, you do not have to take my word for it, but know that there are those of us that have found LOTS of consolation in his readings. For a while after 9/11, he was not even available for "private readings" to anyone other than 9/11 family members trying to help them work thru their loss.
Edward may be sincere, he may have convinced himself that he has a talent beyond an intuitive ability to cold read the people in his audiences ... I don't know the man. But there are really two different claims being made in this thread:

(1) That what he does is therapeutic and helps the people who participate in his readings
(2) That what he does is evidence of psychic abilities, and he is tapping into the "other side"

These are really two different issues. Meta-studies in psychology have shown that the approach taken to therapy doesn't matter as much as the relationship involved (though gestalt techniques did not do particularly well in these studies); as I recall, there has been at least one study that shows shamanic healing can be as effective as Western therapy.

I have no problem believing that what Edward does helps people who are grieving, and provides them with consolation in the same way that shamanic healing techniques provide comfort. I'm glad the eight of you found consolation in the experience. But your personal experiences say nothing about the source of the information he's uncovering in his readings: whether from conscious or unconscious cold reading techniques, or from the "other side".

I was trained in Transcendental Meditation in the early 1970s, and they provided me with a mantra which supposedly was assigned based on my personal characteristics. TM adherents claim that it allows the practitioner "...to experience pure consciousness, the source of thought - the field of infinite creativity and intelligence..." I was told not to tell anyone my mantra, and never to say it aloud. They surrounded the use of a mantra with a certain "spiritual" aura. But in the late sixties, Herbert Benson did research into TM at Harvard, and found that the mantra doesn't matter; any sound or word will work. The "mantra" works because it keeps the mind from wandering ... there's nothing magical about it.

Point being, Edward may provide people with comfort through his work, but that doesn't mean he's really contacting the spirits of the dead, or doing anything paranormal. That is, (1) is demonstrated by the testimony of yourself and others, but the fact that (1) is true has nothing to do with the reality of the claims made in (2).

Old 07-06-2014, 08:03 AM

32,855 posts, read 18,677,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I agree with these points.

If it were a real spiritual medium, I would think that it would take a person a lot of energy, concentration and focus, in order to establish communication with the spirit world.

Was there a memo out on how a "real spiritual medium" should act?

In my experience, a person can TRY REAL HARD all they want, they can conecentrate and focus, and maybe even scrunch their eyebrows up, but that is not going to guarnatee a connection.

Seems strange that people are defining how a medium is supposed to act, when they believe he is a fraud?

Old 07-06-2014, 08:36 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,839,167 times
Absolutely not. It's called cold reading.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:38 AM

2,781 posts, read 2,659,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
He is that guy who says he can talk with the dead? Hoax or no?
I think he does a cold reading. I am not stating everyone who claims to communicate with the dead are a hoax, but he strikes me as a cold reading expert.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:10 AM

10,353 posts, read 23,283,623 times
I like John Edward. I have a few of his books. I do not know what to believe regarding him, but there are some things in his books that I have read that have happened to me that make me believe in him somewhat. Some experiences of his involving the afterlife that I have also seen and experienced more than once.
Sure, some of his works seem a little far fetched, but who are we to know for certain what does or does not exist? We are taught from a young age through school and church to believe only in what we are being taught. To not think for ourselves. Having the experiences kind of makes one believe.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:30 AM

7,629 posts, read 15,070,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I like John Edward. I have a few of his books. I do not know what to believe regarding him, but there are some things in his books that I have read that have happened to me that make me believe in him somewhat. Some experiences of his involving the afterlife that I have also seen and experienced more than once.
Sure, some of his works seem a little far fetched, but who are we to know for certain what does or does not exist? We are taught from a young age through school and church to believe only in what we are being taught. To not think for ourselves. Having the experiences kind of makes one believe.
ABSOLUTELY PinkString! Heck, you could "scientifically" ARGUE that a single sperm and an egg could create a baby, but it DOES!!!!

FAITH in things you can not "prove" or truly "understand" only mean we are willing to "think outside that box" so many others are willing to live in.

ANYTHING that brings joy, happiness, goodness and peace to anyone in pain, suffering, helpless, hopeless HAS to be a POSITIVE energy in my eyes.

So while you debate his gifts/talents/diplomas/abilities, (because lets face it folks, NO ONE of us will EVER be able to prove/disapprove his "abilities") I prefer to focus on the peace, joy, happiness he brings to others lives!

Old 07-12-2014, 12:19 PM

5,888 posts, read 4,564,616 times
If someone has an alternative rational explanation for what Edward does that explains his "success" (cold reading) and still chooses to pay $850 for a session with him (apparently "positive energy" is quite pricey), that says more about the depth of their grief and the extent of Edward's desire for money than it does about the efficacy of his "methods". You can do several sessions with a grief counselor or pastoral counselor for the same price.

Cold reading | Stuartsorensen's Blog

Old 07-12-2014, 02:05 PM

19,305 posts, read 25,968,746 times
[quote=_redbird_;35530742]Was there a memo out on how a "real spiritual medium" should act?

In my experience, a person can TRY REAL HARD all they want, they can conecentrate and focus, and maybe even scrunch their eyebrows up, but that is not going to guarnatee a connection.

Seems strange that people are defining how a medium is supposed to act, when they believe he is a fraud?[/QUOTE]

good post,,,

Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 PM

1,247 posts, read 1,207,293 times
John Edwards is an fraud. He hands selects people. and the audience are interviewed before the actual show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal